Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ClearPlex Windshield Film

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:45 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Default ClearPlex Windshield Film

Having had a 987 Spyder and now 8500 miles on my 718 Spyder I'm constantly reminded of how soft and chip prone these Porsche windshields are.

While at Parade I visited the ClearPlex booth and watched installs. They had a Cayman there that had the film on for 8 years and it still looked good.

I elected to not get it installed on-site as I was participating in several tours and local wx was horrible -- so not the best installation/cure situation.

Here is the website... https://madico.com/dealers/automotiv...tion/clearplex

Price seems reasonable and can be drop shipped to your preferred installer. I've reached out to Xpel San Antonio for comments also.

Anyone have any experience with this product? ( I did an advanced search and not many threads or recent comments)
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
StilettoPat (07-26-2021), tigerhonaker (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:34 AM
StilettoPat
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

TXshaggy,
Thanks for raising this important issue. I had a 981 CS that was beautiful, as I had PPF'd the car and had it ceramic coated, but the windshield chips were always a sore spot for me, so I too am very interested in this film for my new Spyder that is on order. My file/ceramic shop is great, but they have been fairly unresponsive to my questions regarding the concept of adding windshield protection film, so I'm very interested in learning from your experiences.
Pat Frye
Old 07-26-2021, 11:40 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Before I took delivery of my car, I was debating between partial ppf, whole ppf and windshield protection. I ended up doing partial ppf and passed on the windshield protection. After driving for 2000 miles, I've elected to put windshield protection on because what I find happening is because the car is so low, I find myself giving plenty of room to the car in front because I'm trying to avoid any possible rock chips. I don't want to follow too close where any little bit of rock has an opportunity to chip my windshield. In giving plenty of space to the car in front, I find a lot of people merging into my lane in front of me because of the space I give and since they're so close to me when they merge in front, it gets me worried that they're going to kick up rocks and such while they're merging so for peace of mind, I'm having it put on this Friday. I'm going back to Glistening Perfection for some final touch up work this Friday and while there, Moe will put it on. I believe he said he's using Exoshield.

Let us know what you decide.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
StilettoPat (07-26-2021), tigerhonaker (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:41 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

I had it put on my GT4 at the same time it was in for a full PPF, and it's already saved me from a couple of rocks that would have left chips at a minimum.

My installer did a great job with it, but be prepared that there may be some slight visual distortion. Mine is very slight, and is only something I notice if I'm really focusing on it. I've gotten past that and don't even normally notice it anymore.

I highly recommend it!

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by ronbauer:
slilley (07-27-2021), StilettoPat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 AM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

I had it installed on my GTS 4.0 upon delivery last November. I am pleased with the product and install. I had it installed on my 2001 Boxster S about 7 years ago-"0" problems. I do keep my cars garaged and they are not daily drivers so that may or may not make a difference. But I would not drive one of these cars without the protection due to the constant micro-meteorite showers one always seem to run into whether driving on a country road or the interstate. Debris is everywhere.
BTW The install was done by Dapper Salon in New Orleans and they requested that I let them keep the car in their shop for a extra day or so to facilitate the cure due to local weather / humidity conditions., which I did -gladly. Good call on your part about wx. conditions for install.
Again "0" problems on my install and "0" problems on both cars since install.
The following 2 users liked this post by patdonahue:
slilley (07-27-2021), StilettoPat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
I had it put on my GT4 at the same time it was in for a full PPF, and it's already saved me from a couple of rocks that would have left chips at a minimum.

My installer did a great job with it, but be prepared that there may be some slight visual distortion. Mine is very slight, and is only something I notice if I'm really focusing on it. I've gotten past that and don't even normally notice it anymore.

I highly recommend it!

Ron
That is what turned me away from windshield protection when I started looking around in addition to the possible coloring and wearing out but it seems that protecting the windshield may outweigh those small negatives.

What brand do you have installed?
Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Used to use it on all my track cars. Works very well, but is a thick film and hard to install. Therefore, installer is key!
I would not use it somewhere where it rains a lot. Wiper blades do not glide on the film as well as on glass.
The film will still get damage, but it protects the glass. On a track car, it needs to be replaced about every year as it gets pitted and hard to see through.
Not sure I would put it on a street car, but I have full glass coverage so a windshield is free if needed. Film is about $400 installed if I remember right.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
slilley (07-27-2021), tigerhonaker (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:48 AM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

I have Clearplex on my car and it literally saved me a nice ding or crack in the first 2 weeks of ownership.
In peak sunlight if you stare closely you get some distortion but like Ron says with time you tend to not notice it. I will say at night time it can be bothersome for me when cars are oncoming towards you.

The following 2 users liked this post by rp2000r:
slilley (07-27-2021), tigerhonaker (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 12:09 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Rather than replying to each of the comments above -

- I have Clearplex on my car, which is what TXshaggy was asking about in the first place.
- I haven't had any issues with the slight distortion at night with oncoming lights any more than oncoming headlights without the Clearplex
- I've driven my car in the rain a number of times with it and haven't noticed any adverse differences vs without it
- Giving a gap to the car in front of you doesn't guarantee you won't get gravel or rocks to the windshield, as being back allows rocks to bounce and get up to windshield height easier than tailgating people (not justifying that behavior!!!)

The main thing is that the Clearplex can scratch, so you want to be careful about the wipers on a dry windshield. It is treated surface, and I received a bottle of fluid to "refresh" it occasionally.

Again, I highly recommend it.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 PM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Interesting Ron as we both used the same installer and the job was perfect.

At night it can be pretty bad and passengers have said the same thing but I rarely drive the car in the dark so I’ll take the protection over the downsides of the film at this point.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:47 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Used to use it on all my track cars. Works very well, but is a thick film and hard to install. Therefore, installer is key!
I would not use it somewhere where it rains a lot. Wiper blades do not glide on the film as well as on glass.
The film will still get damage, but it protects the glass. On a track car, it needs to be replaced about every year as it gets pitted and hard to see through.
Not sure I would put it on a street car, but I have full glass coverage so a windshield is free if needed. Film is about $400 installed if I remember right.
Dr. Bill,

I'm glad I decided to follow this Thread.
As I have considered having the windshield also done with the other PPF Protection package.

I was Very-very concerned over exactly what you have outlined above ^^^

I'm going to now pass as mine is not a Track GT4 and will be driven limited miles once I put on the 2,000 miles for the Porsche Break-in-Miles.

Also after I posted I have seen the multiple comments on driving at night.
And for me now being 76 my eyesight I'm sure is not anything like a younger Adult.
The last thing I need is something that would further deteriorate seeing at Night !!!

Thanks for your comments,
Terry Honaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-26-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Many in the G Class Forums have it and swear by it, but those windshields are almost vertical! I just had the windshield on my G550 replaced last week from a rock thrown up by new Spyder so I am getting it applied to the G but not the Porsche since the Spyder's windshield has quite a rake. If you use your wipers a lot it will last as long though.
'
Old 07-26-2021, 01:18 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs.

Regarding the night driving, rare occasion for me. With that being said my OE 987 Spyder windshield was brutal at night because of all the chips abrasions…so pick your poison there.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:37 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 186 Posts

i went with STEK Dynoflex. does not require heat-shrinking. very clear (like nothing was there).

Last edited by 2PUTT; 07-26-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:39 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Thanks for all the inputs.

Regarding the night driving, rare occasion for me. With that being said my OE 987 Spyder windshield was brutal at night because of all the chips abrasions…so pick your poison there.

I keep a pair of yellows in all my cars for night driving:

Quick Reply: ClearPlex Windshield Film