Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ClearPlex Windshield Film

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 05:37 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Would like add my 2 cents. I have windshield film on my GTS, while I don't remember the brand, I'm glad I have the UV protection and protection against windshield damage. That said, I do notice an odd pinkish color cast in the sky and clouds when driving north! Why only north, don't know! Could have something to do with my polarized sunglasses?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:57 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Would like add my 2 cents. I have windshield film on my GTS, while I don't remember the brand, I'm glad I have the UV protection and protection against windshield damage. That said, I do notice an odd pinkish color cast in the sky and clouds when driving north! Why only north, don't know! Could have something to do with my polarized sunglasses?
I'm interested in this and passed on the link to my PPF guy, Andy. You bring up a good point about polarized sunglasses.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I'm interested in this and passed on the link to my PPF guy, Andy. You bring up a good point about polarized sunglasses.
It's so weird I only notice this phenomenon when leaving the gym heading north mid-late morning. At first I was a bit shocked, but now I'm used to it. I'm glad I have impact and some UV protection, even if it does turn the sky pink sometimes!
Old 08-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I'm not an installer so I don't have first knowledge nor experience with the product but in watching one of the videos with Obsessed Garage, the installer seemed to imply that doing Exoshield is going to be a little more difficult because it's a little thicker and the installer has to know to heat the area just longer enough to mold the film to the windshield but not too long because then it will cause distortion. Again, I'm not an installer so it sounded like the installer was implying that if you're seeing distortion, it might be because the installer used the heat gun too long on that area.

Maybe someone with knowledge or an subject expert can chime in and clarify?
Yes, windshield film is thick and a completely different animal than window tint film and especially PPF, you have to understand and work with the properties of the film to execute a good install, even with that it is a tough product to work with. Heat molding is one very tricky part to get the film to lay flat and too much heat and you can distort and ruin the film, it is a fine line, time is important to installers, most do not like taking the time to learn and get good at this and therefore tend not to recommend it to their customers, a botched install or two and their profit is out the window (pun intended)!

Originally Posted by blackland
I don’t know? He has a large business installing film in cars and buildings. He has done a nice job for me on several cars over the years. I don’t have a dog in this fight but I tend to listen to experts in their field.
As mentioned above, this film is different and installers that are not actually trained at installing windshield film are not a good judge of how the product can turn out, just because they can install PPF does not mean they can lay down windshield film.

So as for experience, I have been using Clearplex on my vehicles since late 2012 when I installed my first piece of Clearplex, it used to be readily available in kit format, pre-cut and pre-curved by the supplier for the car in question, that first kit turned out pretty good and unless I pointed out the the windshield had film on it then no one even noticed it! I have done another 6 windshields since, but his process takes practice and patience for a good install. In 2014 at Parade at Monterey I had that first piece of film replaced as it had already taken a few hits to protect the glass, Clearplex was a sponsor and offering a deal on the installation... I had the privilege of meeting their senior trainer whom I had talked to a number of times in the past, Larry even commented that he was impressed at my work and he even passed along a few more tricks of the trade. Since then I have done a number of Boxster's and even a Macan so I not only understand what's involved and how easy something can go wrong, but more importantly that the outcome is not always perfect, which if you are looking for perhaps this product isn't for you, but after less than 1 year an unprotected windshield is far from perfect anymore...

My last install was a team effort, this is on my 718 Spyder, my installer friend was swamped but he knew I really wanted the film installed, he also knew I had the ability to do it my self, but up to now I had only done pre-curved kits... So what he did was to cut and prep the film for me, so when I received it, it was cut to shape and pre-curved to match the glass and I did the installation, this was the best one to date, again virtually invisible to anyone that looks and protecting that factory installed glass.

Regarding the film and polarized glasses, yes it can make the windshield appear to have an interference pattern, the original films were the worst but the manufacturing process has reduced this greatly but it can still be there, if you are expecting 'perfection' you best look elsewhere! The same goes for PPF, none of it is perfect, you just have to know what to look for, and if you are looking that close defects can be found.

FWIW I am not trying to sell anyone on the product, there is nothing in it for me, I am simply passing along my experiences and expectations to those that are interested.
The following 4 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Goodwood (08-01-2021), halfmonkey (08-01-2021), ronbauer (08-02-2021), StilettoPat (08-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 02:15 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes, windshield film is thick and a completely different animal than window tint film and especially PPF, you have to understand and work with the properties of the film to execute a good install, even with that it is a tough product to work with. Heat molding is one very tricky part to get the film to lay flat and too much heat and you can distort and ruin the film, it is a fine line, time is important to installers, most do not like taking the time to learn and get good at this and therefore tend not to recommend it to their customers, a botched install or two and their profit is out the window (pun intended)!
Based on this comment, I would have to conclude that the people that posted above stating that their windshield protection shows distortion had bad installs. In reading their posts and without knowledge on the product, it led me to believe that the windshield film had the distortion but having learned a little more about the product, it seems that the film doesn't actually have any distortion and instead the distortion comes about from heating the area too much when getting the film to mold to the curvature of your windshield.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 02:22 PM
CDACH
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes they repaired it without removing the film. They basically drill a small hole from the outside into the chip, put a suction cup device over it, then inject epoxy. The resin/epoxy is then cured with heat from the inside. So far it's holding up fine and has not migrated at all. The rock left a small mark on the Clearplex and the impact was transferred into the glass. The rock was about 1" or so in diameter (based on the split second I saw it) and hit in the lower left corner of the windshield. It's not in my direct view so does not bother me. I have not way of knowing for sure but believe the Clearplex helped reduce the forces. I do track the car and it has protected me very well so far. I frequent canyon roads also and they are notorious for pebbles and rocks. The one that chipped the windshield was kicked up by a low rider Chevy. Crazy.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:31 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Based on this comment, I would have to conclude that the people that posted above stating that their windshield protection shows distortion had bad installs. In reading their posts and without knowledge on the product, it led me to believe that the windshield film had the distortion but having learned a little more about the product, it seems that the film doesn't actually have any distortion and instead the distortion comes about from heating the area too much when getting the film to mold to the curvature of your windshield.
Monkey,

If it helps I watched the ClearPlex Team install several throughout Parade. They used precut patterns for individual models. I didn't see them ever use a heat source to get them on modern water cooled Porsche.

I do understand that highly curved windshields are problematic for installers -- this is the same for PPF on highly curved headlights.

I looked through a new install and the only "imperfections" I saw was the curing -- same as window film or PPF. They say it takes typical cure times of 24 hours, this is what stopped me as I was driving my car every day.

Of course siting behind the wheel in various lighting, maintenance, and special care situations have been discussed. The 8 year old Cayman install still looked good, they mentioned it was due for a replacement.

If you're interested I have the President's and Head BD/Installer (Father/Son team) contact info -- perhaps they are hitting an event near you or can answer some of your questions.

Shaggy
Old 08-01-2021, 02:34 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

It's 100% about the install. And when I mentioned distortion, I mean a very very small rainbow type effect in one spot, at one specific angle, if you're paying attention. Otherwise, you'd never see it. And it's not visible outside the car. It's there, and I can find it if I'm looking for it, but it's not distracting nor is it off-putting.

​​​​​​
ronbauer (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:44 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I had it on my 16 GT4 and there was no distortion.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:40 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
i went with STEK Dynoflex. does not require heat-shrinking. very clear (like nothing was there).
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
But in the future I”ll be following Dynoflex to see if it’s a good alternative.
I went with STEK Dynoflex as well, turned out well.

alwaysdriving (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NCheok
I went with STEK Dynoflex as well, turned out well.

Looking good! Do they have a recommended treat to use on the film?
Old 08-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
I’ve actually buffed out the scratches at the 4 year mark and got a couple of more years use out of it.
I missed this!

How and what did you use to buff out the scratches? If you could provide the actual name/number of the product that would be awesome!

The Clearplex on the Spyder is only at the one year mark so it is fine, but the Macan is at 4 years and could use a booster...
Old 08-02-2021, 04:11 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I missed this!

How and what did you use to buff out the scratches? If you could provide the actual name/number of the product that would be awesome!

The Clearplex on the Spyder is only at the one year mark so it is fine, but the Macan is at 4 years and could use a booster...

I the guy's approach, from Apex Detail, to polishing the windshield...was going to send car there, then wound up doing it myself to get rid of my minor pitting:

He also has other "scratch/polish" related vids...also checked out the windshield polishing vid(s) from AMMO NYC
Old 08-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I the guy's approach, from Apex Detail, to polishing the windshield...was going to send car there, then wound up doing it myself to get rid of my minor pitting:

https://youtu.be/4KyBGQizuzY

He also has other "scratch/polish" related vids...also checked out the windshield polishing vid(s) from AMMO NYC
Thanks for the video, he did a great job of getting the scratch out of the glass, I have glass specific polishes and compounds as well.

My question was more focused on what exact compound would be good for windshield film... everything I have read said it was not to be polished at all.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:40 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Just to throw another crab claw in the gumbo: Neither of these are daily drivers and the photos were just taken in my garage under the harsh fluorescent lighting. I also use the Clearplex "wax" on the windshields
This is my 2001 Boxster S I had Clearplex installed in 2015 on the original windshield.

My 2021 GTS 4.0 with Clearplex install by a different installer.
Zero problems on each install. the competency of the installer is a priority.

Last edited by patdonahue; 08-02-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: ClearPlex Windshield Film