Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ClearPlex Windshield Film

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 12:07 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Thanks for the video, he did a great job of getting the scratch out of the glass, I have glass specific polishes and compounds as well.

My question was more focused on what exact compound would be good for windshield film... everything I have read said it was not to be polished at all.
I'd say the same compounds would work, as they are fairly mild. Application force, and polisher speed/pattern also need to be kept in check.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:56 AM
pcarGTS4.0
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I will be usingSTEKDynoflex on my windshield- putting it on today actually... Detailer told me "It is a product similar to PPF with a similar purpose". He also said if installed right you can't notice it. First product he has worked with where this is possible - just his opinion - not mine. I figured I would try it out and give a review down the road for the group.

From my detailer... The only caveat is durability will depend on your use of the windshield wipers. Regular use of the wipers, on dirty glass can and will slowly scratch the film over time. Chances are with your planned use of the car it should not be an issue and can protect the glass for 1-3 years with no issues before considering routine replacement of the glass protective film

I think this is the site.. https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/

Last edited by pcarGTS4.0; 08-03-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:41 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I missed this!

How and what did you use to buff out the scratches? If you could provide the actual name/number of the product that would be awesome!

The Clearplex on the Spyder is only at the one year mark so it is fine, but the Macan is at 4 years and could use a booster...
It’s been a while since I did it. I just used what was around likely Menzerna and started slowly as to not burn the plastic. Kept going until it looked really nice. Sorry not much help other than that.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:49 AM
pcarGTS4.0
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the video, he did a great job of getting the scratch out of the glass, I have glass specific polishes and compounds as well.

My question was more focused on what exact compound would be good for windshield film... everything I have read said it was not to be polished at all.
As with doing paint correction, start with the less aggressive pad and polish - work up with pad/rubbing compound until you get a result. This would also apply to buffing the windshield - sam exercise just like the paint. Also - apply no pressure - let the polisher do the work.

Meguiars has pad and rubbing compound I use for paint correction on friends cars. I also use chemical guys pads and polisher V series too. You can buy a kit that covers aggressive to less aggressive polishing. It is an art as in every time its a bit different - not a science.

Last edited by pcarGTS4.0; 08-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
It’s been a while since I did it. I just used what was around likely Menzerna and started slowly as to not burn the plastic. Kept going until it looked really nice. Sorry not much help other than that.
I think one of the guys in the club is a Menzerna fan, I will check it out, thanks!
Old 08-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I'd say the same compounds would work, as they are fairly mild. Application force, and polisher speed/pattern also need to be kept in check.
I agree, proceeding carefully is a must...

Originally Posted by pcarGTS4.0
As with doing paint correction, start with the less aggressive pad and polish - work up with pad/rubbing compound until you get a result. This would also apply to buffing the windshield - sam exercise just like the paint. Also - apply no pressure - let the polisher do the work.

Meguiars has pad and rubbing compound I use for paint correction on friends cars. I also use chemical guys pads and polisher V series too. You can buy a kit that covers aggressive to less aggressive polishing. It is an art as in every time its a bit different - not a science.
I think part art and part science, I have extensive experience with both aspects and have tried countless products and systems over the years. The thing is windshield film is a multi-layer film and the top layer is extremely thin, if a scratch goes through that layer to the next you can't simply remove more material and buff it out, removing the top layer would spell disaster for the film, akin to removing all of the clearcoat on a car leaving the base behind... unprotected.

I appreciate all of the suggestions guys, thanks.
The following users liked this post:
pcarGTS4.0 (08-03-2021)
Old 11-16-2022, 01:31 PM
Fredman6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had ClearPlex installed on my new GT4. What do you all use to clean the windshield with the ClearPlex installed? I asked madico (maker of clearplex) and they just sent me a PDF that says "Clean your windshield regularly using mild soap and water and a soft cloth to remove tree sap, bird droppings, tar, oils and bugs. Do not use cleaning solutions containing petroleum distillates or silicone oils." I can use soap and water when washing the car, was hoping there's a glass cleaner or something to use in between washes.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:36 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredman6
I just had ClearPlex installed on my new GT4. What do you all use to clean the windshield with the ClearPlex installed? .....
I have STEK dynoflex windshield PPF installed and I regularly use 50/50 alcohol/water mix to clean my windshield. Works great....
Old 11-16-2022, 09:38 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts

I use this in between washes.

And also this over my STEK DynoFlex.

The following users liked this post:
CDACH (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 09:43 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredman6
I just had ClearPlex installed on my new GT4. What do you all use to clean the windshield with the ClearPlex installed? I asked madico (maker of clearplex) and they just sent me a PDF that says "Clean your windshield regularly using mild soap and water and a soft cloth to remove tree sap, bird droppings, tar, oils and bugs. Do not use cleaning solutions containing petroleum distillates or silicone oils." I can use soap and water when washing the car, was hoping there's a glass cleaner or something to use in between washes.
I had Madico install my ClearPlex at the Porsche Parade this summer, and this is what they recommended. Basically any ammonia-free glass cleaner and microfiber wipes. Every-other month I also use some kind of wax that they gave me.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:37 AM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts

I’ve just used good old simple and reliable Windex. No issues
Old 11-17-2022, 01:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche444
I’ve just used good old simple and reliable Windex. No issues
It is recommended not to use a window cleaner that contains ammonia, is the Windex you are using ammonia free?
Old 11-17-2022, 01:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree, proceeding carefully is a must...

I think part art and part science, I have extensive experience with both aspects and have tried countless products and systems over the years. The thing is windshield film is a multi-layer film and the top layer is extremely thin, if a scratch goes through that layer to the next you can't simply remove more material and buff it out, removing the top layer would spell disaster for the film, akin to removing all of the clearcoat on a car leaving the base behind... unprotected.

I appreciate all of the suggestions guys, thanks.
FYI, and Update for @colnagoG60 and @pcarGTS4.0

Regarding polishing Clearplex, this IMHO is like a last shot at extending its life. On our Macan the film was getting pretty bad after 6 years, my installer was swamped so it was either pull off the film or try to polish it, either way nothing to lose because it could not stay like it was.

I used a polish rated as fine, essentially a swirl remover, it took a little while, but it removed the haze from the film, essentially removing the outer layer which I believe is the hard coating. I would say that it restored it to about 95%, only falling below 100% because of the deeper scratches that went into the next layer of the film. Overall, I am happy with this 'temporary fix'.

Why I say temporary is for 2 reasons, without that hard coating I am sure that the film will degrade even faster from the wiper blades, the second reason is the deeper scratching that was left behind, the only way to fix this is with the installation of a new film. Probably next spring...

Quick Reply: ClearPlex Windshield Film