Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ClearPlex Windshield Film

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 01:44 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
That is what turned me away from windshield protection when I started looking around in addition to the possible coloring and wearing out but it seems that protecting the windshield may outweigh those small negatives.

What brand do you have installed?

I would have gone with Alchemy Exoshield, but my CPO already had significant pitting:

Obsessed Garage (Matt) did some follow up vids on his Exoshield install.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:39 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I saw the Obsessed Garage video on the ExoShield. Found an installer in Georgia and took my GT4. They couldn't make it work. Multiple install attempts. Found another installer. They couldn't make it work. Had Alchemy come onsite to do additional training on the install, took my GT4 back, and they still couldn't get it.

Went to a Tint shop that also does ClearPlex and they had no issue. 99% of the time, I can't even tell it's there. When wearing sunglasses I can see some very slight distortion in one spot, but only if I'm looking for it.

I apply BeadMaker to it after each wash to keep it slick.

It's been on the car for a couple of years now with no issue. No scratches. No pits.

As already stated, completely comes down to the installer.

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Rather than replying to each of the comments above -

- I have Clearplex on my car, which is what TXshaggy was asking about in the first place.
- I haven't had any issues with the slight distortion at night with oncoming lights any more than oncoming headlights without the Clearplex
- I've driven my car in the rain a number of times with it and haven't noticed any adverse differences vs without it
- Giving a gap to the car in front of you doesn't guarantee you won't get gravel or rocks to the windshield, as being back allows rocks to bounce and get up to windshield height easier than tailgating people (not justifying that behavior!!!)

The main thing is that the Clearplex can scratch, so you want to be careful about the wipers on a dry windshield. It is treated surface, and I received a bottle of fluid to "refresh" it occasionally.

Again, I highly recommend it.

Ron
Hey Ron, I hope you don't mind a little support here...

I have been using Clearplex for over 8 years now, multiple Boxster's and now the Spyder, my GMC truck and our Macan as well, all the points above are important, Clearplex when installed right preserves the windshield and it's original installation, just ask a few that have had sub-standard replacements done how they feel about it, me, I don't want the hassle. When applied correctly it is very clear but some reports of distortion do happen, but you know that a lot of people examine the windshield way more closely than they ever did before an install, heck some of those people never even cleaned the inside, now they notice everything!

The longest that I had Clearplex last on a vehicle, was 3 years, it was still serviceable but was showing a nicks and scrapes from the wiper blades, I was selling the car so I installed a piece that I already had and replaced it myself, underneath the old film the glass was perfect, replacing the film and the view was again 'nearly' perfect. Personally I would not have a car that I was taking care of without putting Clearplex on immediately, the pitting and soft glass issue with Porsche is IMHO true, and for me I prefer to keep that original glass in place.

So a few things to help the Clearplex last... never dry wipe or run the wipers without water, dust has grit, parking it even overnight and dust will settle, run the wipers and you will see the dirty water at the end of the stroke, fine scratches are the result, I hose or clean the surface to prevent this. Don't use the squeegee at the gas station, the last guy with a 4x4 cleaned the mud off his headlights and tail lights, the sand is on the blade and will do damage. Do use the recommended preservative cream or treatment if supplied, otherwise check with the manufacturer on what to use, it does make a difference.

Finally the thing that I found helped the most, park the vehicle indoors, I found that Clearplex would easily last 3 years when treated as I mention but the GMC because it was parked outside barely made 18 months, in fact after 12 months I was considering replacement, once the surface is scratched it goes down hill fast and there is no way to restore it, replacement is the only option.

HTH!
StilettoPat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:04 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iammacey
I saw the Obsessed Garage video on the ExoShield. Found an installer in Georgia and took my GT4. They couldn't make it work. Multiple install attempts. Found another installer. They couldn't make it work. Had Alchemy come onsite to do additional training on the install, took my GT4 back, and they still couldn't get it.

Went to a Tint shop that also does ClearPlex and they had no issue. 99% of the time, I can't even tell it's there. When wearing sunglasses I can see some very slight distortion in one spot, but only if I'm looking for it.

I apply BeadMaker to it after each wash to keep it slick.

It's been on the car for a couple of years now with no issue. No scratches. No pits.

As already stated, completely comes down to the installer.

​​​​​

What is different about the GT4, or your GT4, that it couldn't be installed?
Old 07-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
The installer...
Old 07-26-2021, 03:12 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Both installers had issue with the ExoShield forming and adhering to the windshield. The material is so thick and the curve of the GT4 windshield, they just couldn't make it work. And I mean no offense to either installer. It was early in the life of ExoShield and they didn't have a lot of experience with this type of film.

​​​​​​They also felt there was inconsistency in the film and film color. Both shops stopped carrying ExoShield. Both shops were detail shops, not tint shops. At the time, ExoShield had a national relationship with TintWorld, but none of them around me offered it. They have grown their installer list in this area and results are likely different now.

The tint shop had zero issues with ClearPlex though. Took the car in for tint and ClearPlex and it was ready in half a day.

If I have the need to remove or replace the film, I'd give ExoShield a try again. But I have no regrets or concerns in ClearPlex.
StilettoPat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:20 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Both installers had issue with the ExoShield forming and adhering to the windshield. The material is so thick and the curve of the GT4 windshield, they just couldn't make it work. And I mean no offense to either installer. It was early in the life of ExoShield and they didn't have a lot of experience with this type of film.

​​​​​​They also felt there was inconsistency in the film and film color. Both shops stopped carrying ExoShield. Both shops were detail shops, not tint shops. At the time, ExoShield had a national relationship with TintWorld, but none of them around me offered it. They have grown their installer list in this area and results are likely different now.

The tint shop had zero issues with ClearPlex though. Took the car in for tint and ClearPlex and it was ready in half a day.

If I have the need to remove or replace the film, I'd give ExoShield a try again. But I have no regrets or concerns in ClearPlex.

Roger that. I wanted to try Exoshield as its touted as possibly being more robust, and/or clearer than ClearPlex. Only saw/spoke with one Rennlister who has ClearPlex on their GT4, which also made me want to lean a different direction. My main desire was to avoid that minor pitting that builds up over the years, and have a clear film (UV protection is added bonus) that doesn't look like anything is installed when looking out.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:32 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Roger that. I wanted to try Exoshield as its touted as possibly being more robust, and/or clearer than ClearPlex. Only saw/spoke with one Rennlister who has ClearPlex on their GT4, which also made me want to lean a different direction. My main desire was to avoid that minor pitting that builds up over the years, and have a clear film (UV protection is added bonus) that doesn't look like anything is installed when looking out.
I forget the ClearPlex is there most of the time. I do 2000 to 2500 miles per year. Always garaged. It's held up really well.

Both companies will tell you if the windshield is already pitted, those spots tend to stand out when the film is applied. So be mindful of that.

Keep either one waxed or some sort of slick topper on them to help the wipers move over them.

Alchemy's site has a locator for ExoShield. I would just confirm how many they have installed. The amount of hearing is like Goldilocks, it has to be just right to ensure it will form, but not melt. It's not nearly as easy/forgiving as tint. The more they have installed, the better. As the GT4 windshield is a fairly complex curve.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:51 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

...Both companies will tell you if the windshield is already pitted, those spots tend to stand out when the film is applied. So be mindful of that...
Yeah, once I had my first drive into a setting sun, I ditched the idea of getting any type of film all together...it was too late. The 30k driven by the PO took its toll. If I was keeping the car, I'd replace the windshield and do film the next day.
iammacey (07-26-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 07:11 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Thanks for all the input.

I’m going to pass. Here is what I got back from the San Antonio Xpel shop…this is the companies flagship shop as the HQ is here.

Small grain of salt as it’s not their product; but good words from the manager who sees some of the best in the world.

I would recommend it ONLY for high dollar, rare cars, expensive cars… reason being, it is hard to maintain itself. The urethane of clearplex is fairly high maintenance, can get scratched from debris on windshield wipers, etc. Maybe the product has improved since Ive seen latest versions but it is a very difficult install that we do not perform. We have shop in Dallas that, on occasion will provide it but it is near cost prohibitive in my opinion. Further, some who have it claim a less than ocular clarity on their windshield. I know that our shop performed a few of these ClearPlex installs a few years back but it wasn’t work we could warranty… and the further, most of the ones performed had issues and needed to be redone. Subsequently, we discontinued installing any non-XPEL products.
tigerhonaker (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 07:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Thanks for all the input.

I’m going to pass. Here is what I got back from the San Antonio Xpel shop…this is the companies flagship shop as the HQ is here.

Small grain of salt as it’s not their product; but good words from the manager who sees some of the best in the world.

I would recommend it ONLY for high dollar, rare cars, expensive cars… reason being, it is hard to maintain itself. The urethane of clearplex is fairly high maintenance, can get scratched from debris on windshield wipers, etc. Maybe the product has improved since Ive seen latest versions but it is a very difficult install that we do not perform. We have shop in Dallas that, on occasion will provide it but it is near cost prohibitive in my opinion. Further, some who have it claim a less than ocular clarity on their windshield. I know that our shop performed a few of these ClearPlex installs a few years back but it wasn’t work we could warranty… and the further, most of the ones performed had issues and needed to be redone. Subsequently, we discontinued installing any non-XPEL products.
100% TXshaggy, it is your decision and I am not trying to convince you otherwise!

But...

Those of us who have it have said all along that it is not perfect, nothing on your car is, nothing, not even XPEL film it or its installation, I can find things to pick apart with 'any' install, it is all about managing your expectations.

The but is, we are accepting this and moving on and protecting a piece of factory glass that many of us don't want anybody to mess with by using a sacrificial piece of clear film, just the same as XPEL does for the paint... it does work, trust me.

Last edited by Westcoast; 07-27-2021 at 07:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Guaji (07-27-2021), StilettoPat (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 07:51 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

I had tint installed today. I asked my installer about these types of products. He said they are only good for track cars, if you use the wipers in heavy rain they will tear this stuff up. If you use the wiper in rain on a dirty windscreen it will get scratched.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:08 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 629 Posts

I’ve had Clearplex on multiple cars and just had it installed on my GT4. It does have a few areas of distortion (in the film) but probably not enough to request a re-do. My last GT4 took 3 tries. The film had “pock-marks” in the line of sight that were unacceptable. The third install was great and I had it five years (2016-2021). Car had 22k miles when I sold it. Clearplex still on the windshield. The new owner didn’t even really notice it until I mentioned it (he is a friend). I told him it’s a bit cloudy and scratched and is most noticeable in the sun.

Wipers on it work perfectly fine. I also drove through heavy rain in the new GT4 with new Clearplex and wipers acted like they are on glass - no problem.

I did find the Clearplex scratched easier than glass. I clean it with a cleaner designed for aviation, and special cloths (reusable) also designed for aviation windscreens. I used to use Plexus to clean it but it leaves a residue (almost like wax) that’s hard to remove, and once we found this other “aviator” cleaner we never went back to Plexus. I do not use a squeegee on this windscreen as it’s too easy for grit to get in the squeegee sponge or blade.

We’ve had it on track cars. We don’t typically put it on a street car. Last week on the way home from the Glen it saved my windshield from two “dings” the slightly cut the film but would have been chips in the glass. I find driving on the highway to be the worst (but I drive to/from the track and it’s mostly highway).

Another installer I spoke to is switching to a new product called Dynoflex. He didn’t have it yet, and my original installer was able to get the clearplex installed before I left. But in the future I”ll be following Dynoflex to see if it’s a good alternative. My understanding from speaking to a few different installers (all of whom have stellar reputations) is that Clearplex is very difficult to install, and often arrives with defects in the film (hence the three installations on my 981 GT4 before finding it acceptable).

Initially the film had quite a few bubbles underneath and ideally it gets parked in the sun to cure for 24 hours. But it was on/off rainy on installation day so it could only get sun a little at a time, and he said not to get it wet (especially at the edges), so we opted to keep it inside. My drive the next day was 5 hours in mostly sunny (some overcast) conditions. In 48 hours it had cured quite a bit. Then was subject to plenty of rain over the weekend, but more sun on the drive home. It cured even more, and now the bubbles are almost gone and what remains are tiny.

Overall very happy with the product but it’s definitely more high maintenance than glass, and does get scratched over time.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I’ve had Clearplex on multiple cars and just had it installed on my GT4. It does have a few areas of distortion (in the film) but probably not enough to request a re-do. My last GT4 took 3 tries. The film had “pock-marks” in the line of sight that were unacceptable. The third install was great and I had it five years (2016-2021). Car had 22k miles when I sold it. Clearplex still on the windshield. The new owner didn’t even really notice it until I mentioned it (he is a friend). I told him it’s a bit cloudy and scratched and is most noticeable in the sun.

Wipers on it work perfectly fine. I also drove through heavy rain in the new GT4 with new Clearplex and wipers acted like they are on glass - no problem.

I did find the Clearplex scratched easier than glass. I clean it with a cleaner designed for aviation, and special cloths (reusable) also designed for aviation windscreens. I used to use Plexus to clean it but it leaves a residue (almost like wax) that’s hard to remove, and once we found this other “aviator” cleaner we never went back to Plexus. I do not use a squeegee on this windscreen as it’s too easy for grit to get in the squeegee sponge or blade.

We’ve had it on track cars. We don’t typically put it on a street car. Last week on the way home from the Glen it saved my windshield from two “dings” the slightly cut the film but would have been chips in the glass. I find driving on the highway to be the worst (but I drive to/from the track and it’s mostly highway).

Another installer I spoke to is switching to a new product called Dynoflex. He didn’t have it yet, and my original installer was able to get the clearplex installed before I left. But in the future I”ll be following Dynoflex to see if it’s a good alternative. My understanding from speaking to a few different installers (all of whom have stellar reputations) is that Clearplex is very difficult to install, and often arrives with defects in the film (hence the three installations on my 981 GT4 before finding it acceptable).

Initially the film had quite a few bubbles underneath and ideally it gets parked in the sun to cure for 24 hours. But it was on/off rainy on installation day so it could only get sun a little at a time, and he said not to get it wet (especially at the edges), so we opted to keep it inside. My drive the next day was 5 hours in mostly sunny (some overcast) conditions. In 48 hours it had cured quite a bit. Then was subject to plenty of rain over the weekend, but more sun on the drive home. It cured even more, and now the bubbles are almost gone and what remains are tiny.

Overall very happy with the product but it’s definitely more high maintenance than glass, and does get scratched over time.
Back in the day Clearplex used to send a bottle of Clearplex HD with every kit, a treatment cream to by applied periodically to help preserve the film surface slickness (XPEL has the same for PPF film), when I run out I will have to look for an alternative.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Odo3
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Had ClearPlex installed on my Spyder. Recently a rock (from another Porsche) hit the windshield and damaged both the film and glass underneath. The installer’s comments: “…they’re great for stopping small pitting, sandblasting type chips but are still not good against large or sharp stone chips.” That would be my assessment as well.

Quick Reply: ClearPlex Windshield Film