Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PADM Failure Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 10:06 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
my GT4 is diagnosed with PADM fault- right side mount. mounts are not in stock. Germany will ship.. God knows when - and in this festive season don't know when it will arrive and when will i get my car up and running... any other solution - of either getting the parts quickly or otherwise...
Typically, the warning says it's safe to drive with the PADM fault, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had mine go a few months back and the dealer said it could take over a month to get in stock from Germany, but they ended up getting it within a week.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:42 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I had that fault in my 981 GTS for about a year before I replaced the active mount, and I never noticed a difference in performance. I wonder how the tech knew which mount was bad. Maybe the dealership computer can identify which one. I had to plug my replacement mount into each side to determine which side erased the fault code. For anyone considering doing the job yourself the passenger side is quite challenging. There is a procedure written on the Cayman Registry web site. The driver side is easier. The new mount is about $1200. Make sure you buy the latest dash number.....there are several.

Howard
Old 12-13-2022, 09:53 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
LoL. After almost two months…

The 718 has a brace structure under the motor that bolts to both the rear suspension and unibody. This brace mist be removed for driveline mount R&R. The 981 does not have that brace. SOP, is to align after unbolting any part of the suspension or any load-bearing part bolted to the suspension. I offer no judgment of that SOP, I merely report its existence as the justification for why the 718 needs alignment after a driveline mount change and your 981 doesn’t.

Has nothing to do with PDK vs Manual.
And here's another 2 months later because I don't live on RL.

OK, so I was wrong. I know those words are seldom heard here...
Old 12-15-2022, 12:21 AM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

PADM fault code popped up last Friday on the 2021 Spyder.
At the dealer today, they certified the problem and ordered the part in 30 min.
Part is due in three days.
About five hours required for the replacement. My guess is that's a 'billable' five hours. Obviously this one is under warranty.
Hope this answers some of the questions earlier in this thread.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:32 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I did not know this that it get's activate only in "Sports Plus" mode.. This means that during normal driving the mount act normally and that the elctro-hydraulic function of the mount is passive, and it comes ON (becomes active) only when in SPORTS PLUS mode. Thank you for enlightening me...
Old 12-15-2022, 07:05 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,810 Likes on 2,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Is your Dealer saying an electrical fault in an active engine mount will prevent you from using your car? I wouldn't think so, after all AFAIK they are only activated in sport plus.
There is no “sport plus” mode in the GT4 or Spyder.

You can select PASM Sport or if PDK equipped PDK Sport.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:32 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

yes. there is a Sport mode only...
Old 12-15-2022, 07:41 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
There is no “sport plus” mode in the GT4 or Spyder.

You can select PASM Sport or if PDK equipped PDK Sport.
My bad, my GTS 4.0 only activates PADM in Sport & SportPlus mode. PADM is not active in Normal mode. @TXshaggy with GT4/Spyder's is PADM always active? or is it tied to the PASM Sport or PDK Sport mode?
Old 12-15-2022, 07:59 AM
arobot
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 3200 mile failure

‘22 Spyder.
Mount failed, replaced yesterday- dealer was able to overnight the mount.

4th P car, 2nd Spyder- this one is turning out to be a bit of a problem child…
Old 12-15-2022, 08:31 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

you'll are privileged to be in a better part of the world.. i live and drive in Mumbai, India.. getting parts is at the dealer's and consequently manufacturer's mercy..
Old 12-15-2022, 11:53 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My bad, my GTS 4.0 only activates PADM in Sport & SportPlus mode. PADM is not active in Normal mode. @TXshaggy with GT4/Spyder's is PADM always active? or is it tied to the PASM Sport or PDK Sport mode?
I think PADM is always active, just depends on drive mode (GTS) or driving situation (GT) for stiffness

Here are the relevant screenshots between the 2 systems.

Last edited by TXshaggy; 12-15-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

In the GT4/Spyder there is Normal Chassis and Sport Chassis.

I was under the impression that Normal was "GT car normal" and Sport was more of a Track mode.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:31 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast

I was under the impression that Normal was "GT car normal" and Sport was more of a Track mode.
From the press release:

718 Cayman GT4 and the 718 Spyder also come equipped with the PADM system. Dynamic transmission mounts minimise vibrations in the engine/transmission area and reduce movements that could affect driving dynamics as a result of the total mass of the drivetrain. PADM therefore combines the advantages of hard and soft transmission mounts giving appreciably more precise and stable handling during changes in load and on fast corners, while driving comfort remains unaffected on uneven roads.

Perhaps, as you note, changing the chassis control from normal to sport changes the active nature.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 197 Posts

I think PADM is always active, just depends on drive mode (GTS) or driving situation (GT) for stiffness ....
Originally Posted by Westcoast

.... Perhaps, as you note, changing the chassis control from normal to sport changes the active nature.
@TXshaggy @Westcoast Perhaps check what the "Good to Know" app says about your Spyders. In my case (GTS4.0) ....

PADM - Porsche Active Drivetrain Mount
  • Dynamic engine mountings automatically minimize perceptible vibration and vibration of the entire drivetrain.
  • When SPORT mode is switched on, the drive unit suspension is stiffened for a sporty driving style.
  • When SPORT PLUS mode is switched on, the drive unit suspension is optimized for track use.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

@TXshaggy @Westcoast Perhaps check what the "Good to Know" app says about your Spyders. In my case (GTS4.0) ....

PADM - Porsche Active Drivetrain Mount
  • Dynamic engine mountings automatically minimize perceptible vibration and vibration of the entire drivetrain.
  • When SPORT mode is switched on, the drive unit suspension is stiffened for a sporty driving style.
  • When SPORT PLUS mode is switched on, the drive unit suspension is optimized for track use.
Unfortunately, the "Good to Know" app does not list GT4/Spyder specific models... and up in post #71 @TXshaggy shows the page in our owner's manual for PADM.

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-15-2022 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (12-15-2022)

Quick Reply: PADM Failure Discussion