Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 Dyno Results: Before & After Mods (SOUL & Softronic ECU)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 01:50 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Driv200: Such a great thread and thanks for taking the time to document including a predyno run. The extra effort is really appreciated and so seldom done. I dont car so much about the noises but very interested to see your results.
good luck

bill
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:28 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Here is sound of mine at COTA on the front straight!

COTA-GT4-Soul-with-tune
Does the softronic tune change the sound of the car??? Is that what you are saying?
Driv200 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Does the softronic tune change the sound of the car??? Is that what you are saying?
He seems to be on the OEM rear section so that explains the sound difference.
Driv200 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 08:47 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
He seems to be on the OEM rear section so that explains the sound difference.
The car revs were between 6-8200 in that vid.

At idle (valves closed) it does sound different.

The softronic tune adjusts the sound a little.
Driv200 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 11:57 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

I have the same car (even color) with the same headers, OAP, and soft tonic tune.

If you love the sound now, wait for the tune!!

Can’t wait to see the dyno results!
That’s awesome! COTA is great. I want to go to COTA first chance I get. Who do you run with? It’s been a bit over crowded in my circles.

Can you confirm you are on oem rear muffler? Thanks for posting clip. Loved it.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:59 AM
Driv200
Racer

Originally Posted by clib
Driv200: Such a great thread and thanks for taking the time to document including a predyno run. The extra effort is really appreciated and so seldom done. I dont car so much about the noises but very interested to see your results.
good luck

bill
Bill, thank you so much. Means a lot to hear and appreciate the feedback. It’s been a lot of fun. I couldn’t find videos of my exact set up and wanted to see some dyno results.

I plan to add post exhaust dyno runs shortly. Then ship ECU to Softronic. Can’t wait.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:29 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts

The car revs were between 6-8200 in that vid.

At idle (valves closed) it does sound different.

The softronic tune adjusts the sound a little.
This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Its the exhaust components and the exhaust valves that change the sounds of the car? Can you be more specific here? Is the ECU tune adding control over the exhaust valves? Or are you saying something else like - the change in the engine timing with the new ECU map makes the engine sound different at different times in the rev range? Does the car idle higher and ths sound different? Please if you could be specific as many people are looking for sound improvement in the car. I just dont understand how if you dont touch the exhaust, that the engine or car will sound louder or different with just a tune? @Soul Performance John, any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2021, 09:13 PM
Driv200
Racer

I’m going to provide more summary comments after 100 miles with exhaust on wide open setting. Let me just say….as the revs climb to 8000rpm, you honestly can’t believe the revs keep going higher. It’s screaming at 5k, 6k, 7k, and 8k in a way you have to experience.

This set up is an absolute game changer. It’s everything I (a track guy) thinks a GT car should be. The GT4 platform is the right size, the right amount of usable power, and the best of everything Porsche NA engine has to offer. This set up….headers w/o cats, OAP’s, and VALVED exhaust make for a complete useable Jeckle & Hyde personality. Right now, my valved exhaust is in the full time wide open (LOUD) setting b/c of chip delays with remote valve controller. And I disconnected the oem lines so I could have my exhaust sound at all RPM…not just above 3800 when stock setting opens.

Being easy on the throttle allows you to have nearly stock sounding exhaust. Next to a cop or in a neighborhood, these are nice traits. When I want to hear exhaust, a simple blip or aggressive press on the throttle creates glorious sounds including crackles and pops. Between shifts, on decel, and certainly on downshifts with automatic blip on, it’s a head turner.

Another worthy fun fact is the long gearing allows you to get full exotic sound at normal speeds. This is a new experience to enjoy such sounds at legitimate speed limits. It’s surreal to get the right exhaust note at 34,45,and 55mph. All the car guys/gals get it and give a thumbs up.

At wide open throttle, this is the F1 high pitch race car sound only exotics can make. It sounds that good. Puts the GT4 up and above all the rest.

Drone: I have had drone in other cars. Not even close with this set up. After reading and following the drone thread and all the attempts to seal off; I was kind of nervous. On this set up, it really doesn’t seem to be intrusive drone. Purposely trying to create drone is difficult. Thus far, windows up or down are music to my ears. Normal volume conversations can be had. Your wife doesn’t have to yell or shout over exhaust tone in cabin. I think the valved exhaust is the winner here! I’m straight through on my set up and the valved exhaust appears to be doing a great job……and it’s in the open position.

This tells me I will have to compare with the valves closed and see if that produces any drone. I don’t see much time except at morning start up when the valves should be closed. The volume you want is very controllable with your throttle inputs.

2nd Dyno this Thursday hopefully: Aug 5th.

Last edited by Driv200; 08-03-2021 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following 4 users liked this post by Driv200:
alwaysdriving (08-04-2021), HooosierDaddy (12-20-2021), raymort (08-03-2021), StilettoPat (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:45 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv200
I’m going to provide more summary comments after 100 miles with wxhaust on wide open setting.

This set up is an absolute game changer. It’s everything I (a track guy) thinks a GT car should be. The GT4 platform is the right size, the right amount of usable lower, and the best of everything Porsche. This set up….headers w/o cats, OAP’s, and VALVED exhaust make for a complete useable Jeckle & Hyde personality. Right now, my valved exhaust is in the full time wide open (LOUD) setting b/c of chip delays with remote valve controller. And I disconnected the oem lines so I could have my exhaust sound at all RPM…not just above 3800 when stock setting opens.

I can be easy on throttle and clearly sound and drive normal. Next to a cop or in neighborhood, these are nice traits. When I want to hear exhaust, spirited throttle and of course hard throttle explode with crackle and pops. Between shifts, on decel, and certainly on downshifts with automatic blip on. It’s fun.

Another worthy fun fact is the long gearing allow you to get full exotic sound at normal speeds. This is a new experience to enjoy such sounds at legitimate speeds. It’s surreal to get the right exhaust note at 34,45,and 55mph. All the car guys/gals get it and give a thumbs up.

At wide open throttle, this is the F1 high pitch race car sound only exotics can make. It sounds that good. Puts the GT4 up and above all the rest.

Drone: I have had drone in other cars. Not even close with this set up. After reading and following the drone thread and all the attempts to seal off; I was kind of nervous. On this set up, it really doesn’t seem to be intrusive drone. Purposely trying to create drone, it’s difficult. Thus far, windows up or down are music to my ears. Normal volume conversations can be had. Your wife doesn’t have to yell or shout over exhaust tone in cabin. I think the valved exhaust is the winner here! I’m straight through on my set up and the valved exhaust appears to be doing a great job……and it’s in the open position.

This tells me I will have to compare with the valves closed and see if that produces any drone. I don’t see much time except at morning start up when the valves should be closed. The volume you want is very controllable with your throttle inputs.

2nd Dyno this Thursday hopefully: Aug 5th.
I wish we had our cars side-by-side. I have the OEM muffler with the ECU tune, OAPs, and comp headers. Curious if there is much of a difference with the controllable valves.

Looking forward to seeing the Dyno results.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:45 PM
Driv200
Racer

Raymort, the SOUL Valved exhaust is completely different in shape and diameter than oem. As you know, all the SOUL parts are bigger diameter etc. I’d assume there is a much deeper sound at low rpm and a much higher pitch due to the tuning of the SOUL exhaust at higher revs. I bet they are very different and both very good! You sound like the kind of guy who will purchase the SOUL exhaust as soon as you hear mine in person. LOL!
Old 08-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Driv200
Racer

New Aug 5th:
2nd dyno pics and vids posted to top post #1.

* 21hp gain at wheels! 380hp
* 398hp when doing a 4th gear pull!

Very pleased with these results!

Softronic tune next!

Last edited by Driv200; 08-05-2021 at 01:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Driv200:
fueledbymetal (08-07-2021), JCviggen (08-05-2021), raymort (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 01:44 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 596 Posts

Thanks for the update, love me some data. What was the ambient temp like this time?

Ordinarily, 22 WHP would be a great gain. It only seems low when some people are talking about getting 50 WHP from a full setup or 30 from a race exhaust on stock headers. But the lack of fresh air blowing into the scoops could complicate matters a bit. At least it is 1:1 comparable and it will be very interesting to see what the final dyno with the tune brings. Instead of doing a 4th gear run which doesn't tell us much, I would suggest trying 1 run with fans to the intakes just to see what (if anything) that does.

I hope to do my own mod/dyno research at the end of the month to compare. I wanted to go onto a MAHA tomorrow for a baseline but the guy who runs it just took two weeks off.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Driv200
Racer

I may have added above pic after your posted, but I did have fans this time. Conditions were very similar. 74 degrees. Humidity 71%. Rain in forecast.
fueledbymetal (08-07-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

How many miles were on this mod? I have the SOUL Sport headers and OAP and took about 50-75 miles until I could feel anything very noticeable. I’ve noticed Porsches’ ECU need miles to adapt.

Last edited by Purekoryo; 08-05-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:30 PM
Driv200
Racer

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
How many miles were on this mod? I have the SOUL Sport headers and OAP and took about 50-75 miles until I could feel anything very noticeable. I’ve noticed Porsches’ ECU need miles to adapt.
Less than 100 miles for sure. But they were spirited miles. 😂

Last edited by Driv200; 08-05-2021 at 11:50 PM.
fueledbymetal (08-07-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Dyno Results: Before & After Mods (SOUL & Softronic ECU)