Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Light weight battery options

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 06:25 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

What are people doing with their OEM batteries, assuming they are still in good condition? I currently have mine sitting in the garage and connected to a battery maintainer. However, it's a pretty big battery to have just lying around.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:23 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by rcfun33
What are people doing with their OEM batteries, assuming they are still in good condition? I currently have mine sitting in the garage and connected to a battery maintainer. However, it's a pretty big battery to have just lying around.
Maybe I'll put mine in the boat as a backup.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:24 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

I use my older marine battery for the winch in my trailer.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:03 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Hello Gents,

As the title states, i'm in the market for a light weight lithium battery for my 718 Spyder & 981 GT4. Here are the 2 brands and options I came across when searching.

https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox...nd-motorsport/

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Wanted to pick your brains and find out who here has tried any of these brands? Pros / Cons of each.

Thank you.
I had a anti-gravity in my 991 GT3 and it worked great. The car is now owned By a friend and it’s still going strong. I had to have a manual frunk opener put in to utilize the one start the battery always saves but Now that function operates with a remote. Highly recommend.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:08 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Maybe I'll put mine in the boat as a backup.
That's an idea. It's a pretty huge battery, so should work well in a boat. I wonder if I could drop in another battery box or if I would need to shuffle things around a little. I already have one oversized battery in the boat.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (05-12-2022)
Old 11-05-2023, 10:06 AM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I want to take a moment to address Tief also.

Tief, so you understand there are several formats of lithium and their characteristics are vastly different.. For example there are Lithium Polymer, Lithium Manganese, and Lithium Iron Phosphate to name just a few. A Lithium Chemistry like a Lithium Polymer is very energy dense but also quite volatile if over heated or overcharged or stressed, whereas the Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry we use for our Automotive Batteries are a much safer Lithium Chemistry and much less volatile format of lithium. Phones and Laptop were using a Lithium Polymer type of Lithium Chemistry, Boeing was using a massive battery that required a highly engineered system for cooling and required Battery Management systems that were very complex and they had issues outside of the Lithium itself that caused the fires, meaning they allowed the lithium to overheat due to some system failures, it was not that the lithium battery itself spontaneously combusted. .

We can also bring up the Hooverboards that were catching on fire, but this was due to sub-par very low quality lithium cells, using Lithium Polymer, and not having a quality Lithium Battery Management system. In our batteries we use a highly developed Battery Management System, which is the Circuit board inside the battery that controls all the parameters for the Lithium Cell pack inside the battery. I go over that in the video so you can check that out. But with our system and full internal protections for the battery the battery would actually shut itself off before any over-heating, as well as the fact that our BMS would not allow for other issues that might cause damage to the Lithium Cells or allow for what is known as Thermal Runaway from happening. The last aspect is the use of the battery, as a starter battery for a vehicle the demand on the lithium cells if quite low, meaning it starts the car very easily, it is kept in a full state of charge by the Vehicle, so it is not a demanding application for the Lithium battery to encounter internal overheating or stress on the lithium cells.

Its good that you bring up your concerns, I'm just scratching the service on Lithium above but I just wanted to point out some basic information.
@Antigravity Batteries So which model number battery are you recommending for a daily driven 2023 718 Spyder with the Burmeister stereo and LED lighting?
I mention the stereo because that’s the only electrical item I can think of that’s going to eat power on my car.
Why would I need a 60Ah over a 40Ah for my particular car?
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2023, 10:38 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 828 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@Antigravity Batteries So which model number battery are you recommending for a daily driven 2023 718 Spyder with the Burmeister stereo and LED lighting?
I mention the stereo because that’s the only electrical item I can think of that’s going to eat power on my car.
Thank you!
Just my opinion ................

Be SAFE go with the 60Ah !!!

See my decision below.
Click on Link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18028223

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-05-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:01 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 933 Posts

So, what is the weight savings by going to the H6 60Ah over the stock battery?
Old 11-05-2023, 02:36 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
So, what is the weight savings by going to the H6 60Ah over the stock battery?
If my memory serves me correctly it’s just over 25 lbs
Old 11-05-2023, 08:14 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by GianniG60
Thank you!
Firstly, even a 20Ah Lithium Battery will easily start a Porsche Motor.... but with higher Amp Hours you will have less voltage sag on the start, even if you battery is over-discharge a bit..... but that is not massively important since the 40Ah will handle all starting chores quire easily and even in freezing weather... though the 60Ah would have more overhead and more power in all circumstances.

Where is is most important to have more Amp Hours is if you have extra accessories that draw on the battery when the car is idle like in storage and not being driven often fore example driving once a month or longer between drives. Also if you have Radar detectors, some stereos can have a high parasitic draw depending on how you wire them into your system. So the 60Ah provides 20Ah more of capacity (which is alot) to power these items and give you plenty of overhead for these accessories or others you may have in the future. Additionally if you are in colder weather more frequently the higher overhead in power can be beneficial. being that the battery has so much power that even in longer term below freezing weather it will still have overhead to start the car easier, but that may not apply to you. Then much longer storage time if you don't get to drive often. Lastly, it can help quite a bit with any flags occuring because Porsches are very senstaive to lower voltages and if you don't drive alot or don't keep it on a charger, or can't keep it on a charger because you live in a condo... then the 60Ah really is a big benefit.

The LED lighting won't really effect much ane can actually draw less energy... but they are not usually doing anything when the car is being stored, so they won't effect the battery. You just want to consider what I mentioned above and if some of that stuff applies to you. Any other questions let us know.
The following 3 users liked this post by Antigravity:
lovetoturn (11-06-2023), slilley (11-06-2023), tigerhonaker (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 09:28 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

I have the 60Ah and I'm glad that I do as my dashcam has setanel mode and I know that draws extra energy when it activates.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:45 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I have the 60Ah and I'm glad that I do as my dashcam has setanel mode and I know that draws extra energy when it activates.
We have the same Antigravity 60Ah Battery and FitCamX. How much energy do you think the FitCamX actually draws in Sentinel Mode? Is it motion-activated as in somebody walking within view of the camera like a Ring Doorbell or is it motion-activated in the sense if somebody bumps the car or tries to tow it? The resolution of the camera is very impressive, but the user manual is not great.

Last edited by mc3456; 11-05-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:58 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
If my memory serves me correctly it’s just over 25 lbs
My understanding is that it is more like 27-30 Lbs depending on which Ah capacity you install.

Last edited by mc3456; 11-05-2023 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Correction.
Larry Cable (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 10:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Enduro has done some great work on OEM vs aftermarket weights.

Your answers are here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ht-thread.html

Old 11-06-2023, 09:14 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

The 40 Ah weight is wrong. Straight from their web site. OEM battery is 45-46. The 60 Ah battery gives 50% more power for only $100 more and only weighs 2.7 pounds more. Still saves 27-28 pounds. Kind of a no brainer to get the larger battery IMHO. Been using the 60 Ah for three years without issue. Highly recommended.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 11-06-2023 at 09:18 PM.
slilley (11-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Light weight battery options