Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Light weight battery options

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 07:35 AM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Light weight battery options

Hello Gents,

As the title states, i'm in the market for a light weight lithium battery for my 718 Spyder & 981 GT4. Here are the 2 brands and options I came across when searching.

https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox...nd-motorsport/

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Wanted to pick your brains and find out who here has tried any of these brands? Pros / Cons of each.

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:14 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 354 Posts

See https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...18-spyder.html
The following users liked this post:
Mash (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Hello Gents,

As the title states, i'm in the market for a light weight lithium battery for my 718 Spyder & 981 GT4. Here are the 2 brands and options I came across when searching.

Wanted to pick your brains and find out who here has tried any of these brands? Pros / Cons of each.

Thank you.
I have AG batteries in my Spyder and GT3 .. no problems, excellent product and customer service
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
Dbridges (05-12-2022), Driv200 (05-09-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Anitgravity worked great in my 997 and I'm looking forward to putting it in my Spyder when it gets here.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Hello Gents,

Thank you.
Hey Mash,

A couple things to look into for the any Lithium Battery in the more Modern Porsches is having a high quality BMS (Battery Management System) inside the Lithium Battery you choose. It should offer built in protections, but also having a good amount of Amp Hours (Ah). Amp Hours are the Capacity of the Lithium Battery inside. For the GT4 we found that it did require a 40Ah Battery minimum (for street use) due to the electronics and charging profile for the battery. I say this because we had found that on some GT4s the cars were getting flags when using our Lithium Battery. This was due to putting out higher voltage at charging and also due to when the user selected too low of an Amp Hour Battery.
We found that the GT4 can put out higher voltages to the Battery when charging than a typical 911 variant... so we found that the GT4 can go into the mid and upper level of the 15v range when charging. So we learned that in our earlier versions of the Antigravity Battery we had our protection parameters on the BMS set to work with the 911s and most all other cars, but for some reason the GT4 specifically would have some cars that would throw a flag with our battery. We found this was due to the higher charging voltage output that the GT4s were putting out. So we re-adjusted the BMS in our Antigravity Batteries in later 2020 to allow for those higher voltages and resolved that issue in the GT4s.

Also due to the GT4 Electronics we found a bit higher of a draw on the Battery when running even so when using a lower Amp Hour Battery the GT4 would more often get into a position of having a slightly lower state of charge, and the sensitive system of GT4 would flag that. So we found that making sure the GT4s had 40Amp Hours also removed this issues. The stock Lead Acid battery is most often a 70 or 80 Amp Hour Lead/Acid Battery these cars

So just be aware of those aspects when looking at lithium batteries. You don't want to go to small on the Amp Hours...it will have issues unless you have a track only car that is stripped down a little. Also low amp hours means you have to charge or maintain the battery more.

If you have any questions post them up and we can answer.

We have this video if you have not really seen our stuff... it explains pretty in-depth but it sort of long.

Last edited by Antigravity; 05-03-2021 at 05:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Antigravity:
dashanin (09-24-2022), Mash (05-04-2021), tigerhonaker (11-11-2021), vactor (03-10-2022)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Antigravity Battery (H6 40 AMP) works great in my 718 GT4. Very happy with it after initial install and full charging. Recommend that you get the ctek charger and charge the battery in full after install. Other than that works flawlessly for the past 45 days or so.
The following 3 users liked this post by dnimi123:
Larry Cable (02-18-2022), Mash (05-04-2021), porscheflat6 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

Lithium-ion batteries have been known to catch fire. Boeing famously grounded their 787s for several months after several of them experienced fires. And cell phones and laptops occasionally burn up also. So this seems like an especially risky class of aftermarket product.

If an aftermarket lithium battery catches fire and burns your car to the ground, who is on the hook for the bill?
Old 05-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 659 Posts

+1 for Anti-Gravity batteries. Had one in my GT3. Will put one in my GT4 eventually. Good products and good customer service.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
Mash (05-04-2021), porscheflat6 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey Mash,

A couple things to look into for the any Lithium Battery in the more Modern Porsches is having a high quality BMS (Battery Management System) inside the Lithium Battery you choose. It should offer built in protections, but also having a good amount of Amp Hours (Ah). Amp Hours are the Capacity of the Lithium Battery inside. For the GT4 we found that it did require a 40Ah Battery minimum (for street use) due to the electronics and charging profile for the battery. I say this because we had found that on some GT4s the cars were getting flags when using our Lithium Battery. This was due to putting out higher voltage at charging and also due to when the user selected too low of an Amp Hour Battery.
We found that the GT4 can put out higher voltages to the Battery when charging than a typical 911 variant... so we found that the GT4 can go into the mid and upper level of the 15v range when charging. So we learned that in our earlier versions of the Antigravity Battery we had our protection parameters on the BMS set to work with the 911s and most all other cars, but for some reason the GT4 specifically would have some cars that would throw a flag with our battery. We found this was due to the higher charging voltage output that the GT4s were putting out. So we re-adjusted the BMS in our Antigravity Batteries in later 2020 to allow for those higher voltages and resolved that issue in the GT4s.

Also due to the GT4 Electronics we found a bit higher of a draw on the Battery when running even so when using a lower Amp Hour Battery the GT4 would more often get into a position of having a slightly lower state of charge, and the sensitive system of GT4 would flag that. So we found that making sure the GT4s had 40Amp Hours also removed this issues. The stock Lead Acid battery is most often a 70 or 80 Amp Hour Lead/Acid Battery these cars

So just be aware of those aspects when looking at lithium batteries. You don't want to go to small on the Amp Hours...it will have issues unless you have a track only car that is stripped down a little. Also low amp hours means you have to charge or maintain the battery more.

If you have any questions post them up and we can answer.

We have this video if you have not really seen our stuff... it explains pretty in-depth but it sort of long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rw_qstFdE

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

So, would it be safer and wiser to go for the H6-60-RS ?

Or, the H6-40-RS is the perfect choice?

Again, this will be for the 718 Spyder & 981 GT4.

Best regards,
Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

So, would it be safer and wiser to go for the H6-60-RS ?

Or, the H6-40-RS is the perfect choice?

Again, this will be for the 718 Spyder & 981 GT4.

Best regards,
Hi Mash, it certainly does not hurt anything to go up to the 60Ah option and can be beneficial if the car does go for longer durations not being driven or if you do plan on adding some aftermarket stuff down the road..but really comes down to what you're okay with..but the 40Ah is a solid solution and commonly used by others.
Best regards,
Chad (chad@antigravitybatteries.com)
The following 3 users liked this post by Antigravity:
Larry Cable (02-18-2022), Mash (05-05-2021), pride355 (04-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2021, 01:14 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Lithium-ion batteries have been known to catch fire. Boeing famously grounded their 787s for several months after several of them experienced fires. And cell phones and laptops occasionally burn up also. So this seems like an especially risky class of aftermarket product.

If an aftermarket lithium battery catches fire and burns your car to the ground, who is on the hook for the bill?
I want to take a moment to address Tief also.

Tief, so you understand there are several formats of lithium and their characteristics are vastly different.. For example there are Lithium Polymer, Lithium Manganese, and Lithium Iron Phosphate to name just a few. A Lithium Chemistry like a Lithium Polymer is very energy dense but also quite volatile if over heated or overcharged or stressed, whereas the Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry we use for our Automotive Batteries are a much safer Lithium Chemistry and much less volatile format of lithium. Phones and Laptop were using a Lithium Polymer type of Lithium Chemistry, Boeing was using a massive battery that required a highly engineered system for cooling and required Battery Management systems that were very complex and they had issues outside of the Lithium itself that caused the fires, meaning they allowed the lithium to overheat due to some system failures, it was not that the lithium battery itself spontaneously combusted. .

We can also bring up the Hooverboards that were catching on fire, but this was due to sub-par very low quality lithium cells, using Lithium Polymer, and not having a quality Lithium Battery Management system. In our batteries we use a highly developed Battery Management System, which is the Circuit board inside the battery that controls all the parameters for the Lithium Cell pack inside the battery. I go over that in the video so you can check that out. But with our system and full internal protections for the battery the battery would actually shut itself off before any over-heating, as well as the fact that our BMS would not allow for other issues that might cause damage to the Lithium Cells or allow for what is known as Thermal Runaway from happening. The last aspect is the use of the battery, as a starter battery for a vehicle the demand on the lithium cells if quite low, meaning it starts the car very easily, it is kept in a full state of charge by the Vehicle, so it is not a demanding application for the Lithium battery to encounter internal overheating or stress on the lithium cells.

Its good that you bring up your concerns, I'm just scratching the service on Lithium above but I just wanted to point out some basic information.
The following 4 users liked this post by Antigravity:
dashanin (09-24-2022), emaw (11-06-2023), Larry Cable (02-18-2022), vactor (03-10-2022)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi Mash, it certainly does not hurt anything to go up to the 60Ah option and can be beneficial if the car does go for longer durations not being driven or if you do plan on adding some aftermarket stuff down the road..but really comes down to what you're okay with..but the 40Ah is a solid solution and commonly used by others.
Best regards,
Chad (chad@antigravitybatteries.com)
I've had no issues with 40Ah in either my Spyder or GT3, (I keep both cars on CTEK trickle charger since they are not DD's)
The following 3 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
Antigravity (05-05-2021), dnimi123 (05-08-2021), Mash (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

Got my 60Ah battery the other day. Will be putting this in soon with some other weight saving mods at the same time. Always great service from AG with outstanding knowledge of their products and for that matter the whole lithium battery market for automobiles. The most thorough explanations of their product and lithium issues of any vendor on this forum. I have learned so much from Scott and Chad.

I am sure that Liteblox is a good battery, but it is only listed at 17.5 Ah. So it appears to be better for motorsports and not for daily driving. I am already saving 31 pounds by going with the AntiGravity 60 Ah, and don't feel its is worth saving a few more pounds to have only 30% of the capacity.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 05-05-2021 at 08:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
Antigravity (05-06-2021), dashanin (09-24-2022), Mash (05-05-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 07:52 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Got my 60Ah battery the other day. Will be putting this in soon with some other weight saving mods at the same time. Always great service from AG with outstanding knowledge of their products and for that matter the whole lithium battery market for automobiles. The most thorough explanations of their product and lithium issues of any vendor on this forum. I have learned so much from Scott and Chad.

I am sure that Liteblox is a good battery, but it is only listed at 17.5 Ah. So it appears to be better for motorsports and not for daily driving. I am already saving 31 pounds by going with the AntiGravity 60 Ah, and don't feel its is worth saving a few more pounds to have only 30% of the capacity.

Can you please weigh both batteries and post it on here? Would be great to have exact data on the difference
Old 05-09-2021, 02:32 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

Haven't pulled the battery yet, but the stock one is supposed to be 46.5 lbs as per the spec sheet. With the 40Ah AG battery weighing in at 15.5 lbs, that is your 31 pound weight loss. I forgot that I upgraded to the 60 Ah AG battery that weighs in at 18.15 lbs, so my actual weight loss will be about 28.35 lbs. However, that extra 2.65 lbs and $120 net me 50% more battery capacity. I like that.

Quick Reply: Light weight battery options