Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 03:41 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't think matching one little piece on the exterior deserves an entire interior stitched in that color or other stuff IMO

can't really go wrong either way though!
Old 03-30-2022, 03:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
Personally, I would get yellow something on the interior to tie it all together. If you keep the blue stitching, go with yellow belts and/or gauges? Or maybe go yellow stitching and blue belts? Just a thought. I went all in with yellow stitching/belts/gauges and yellow calipers. I don’t regret it one bit and it looks great!
Yeah, I would pick one color if not it can get a bit spastic in there. I'm not the world's biggest fan of yellow but it does pop against the SB in a good way. If I did go yellow I would do the seat belts and the clock in yellow. The good thing about yellow is that there are some P1 inserts that look good with a touch of yellow and because it is a convertible, it adds a measure of playfullness to it although the blue also lightens it up a bit.

Here is my current P1 selection with pepita and grey blue black in the lead (besides the SB pull handles for contrast)

If I did stay blue, maybe the clock in yellow?

If yellow, I think this looks good and brightens up the interior.

Last edited by MaddMike; 03-30-2022 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:02 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

oh man your door pulls got all wrinkled lol! better steam them back to their former glory haha... I too like the one on the right, the black grey white and blue plaid pattern, second favorite would be the houndstooth on the left
MaddMike (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:05 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by fman15
Finally picked up the GT4 yesterday! The car is amazing and the color is truly a head-turner. Definitely even better in person and spectacular in the sunlight. Dropped it off at All American Paint Protection in Rockville, MD for PPF, ceramic coat, and tinting. Can't wait to get it back!
This is pretty much *exactly* how I'm speccing mine. Only difference is bucket seats and no white gauges. Great spec!
fman15 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:49 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smegman
oh man your door pulls got all wrinkled lol! better steam them back to their former glory haha... I too like the one on the right, the black grey white and blue plaid pattern, second favorite would be the houndstooth on the left
I have four months to steam them.

I'm with you on the inserts unless I go crazy with the yellow stitching, belts, and clock.

With the yellow, I think the silver wheels look better as the lighter overall look works to lighten everything up and it saves a little money.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:41 PM
fman15
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Nice and congrats! You have me rethinking my blue stitching for yellow since I have the yellow PCCBs. I'm 30 days out to lock it down.
Yeah the yellow looks great with shark blue! Really nice contrast! Not to make things harder for you haha
MaddMike (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:35 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fman15
Yeah the yellow looks great with shark blue! Really nice contrast! Not to make things harder for you haha
Yeah, not helpful at all. I do like the flash of yellow but am afraid that I will tire of it. Besides, if I'm paying for extended stitching, it seems a waste to get a base color.

I think I'm deleting the climate panel in leather and going back to silver wheels from the platinum wheels. Those two mods alone knock about $2k off my price which, admittedly has gotten quite inflated. I think the silver wheels "pop" better but I was looking at platinum to save some cleaning time. I do have PCCBs though so that should help.

Speaking of cleaning, I'm deleting the Spyder logo as on my current Spyder, I find it hard to clean inside the logo and it gathers dirt. Just cleaner and smoother without it.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:59 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Yeah, not helpful at all. I do like the flash of yellow but am afraid that I will tire of it. Besides, if I'm paying for extended stitching, it seems a waste to get a base color.

I think I'm deleting the climate panel in leather and going back to silver wheels from the platinum wheels. Those two mods alone knock about $2k off my price which, admittedly has gotten quite inflated. I think the silver wheels "pop" better but I was looking at platinum to save some cleaning time. I do have PCCBs though so that should help.

Speaking of cleaning, I'm deleting the Spyder logo as on my current Spyder, I find it hard to clean inside the logo and it gathers dirt. Just cleaner and smoother without it.
You’re paying for deviated stitching….but not extended. At least that is the way I remember. Extended would be something like Lizard Green or Lava Orange. Personally I think silver wheels look weird with Shark Blue….although the yellow calipers will help. I do think they pop…but not in a good way. Platinum looks better and works if you are going somewhat with a subdued spec. Again….(opinion warning)…..Shark Blue is a loud color. It NEEDS contrast. To put it another way, contrast is rewarded. I thought I would tire of all the yellow…and who knows, I still might. But no sign of that so far. If it was a daily driver it might be different…but I doubt it. And please realize I am not trying to talk you into anything. Just my opinions…and perspective!

Finally, don’t get too hung up on a thousand here or a thousand there. This is a dream car(for me anyway). A couple of thousand is not gonna make a huge difference in the wallet but it might make a huge difference in the spec.

Last edited by flynlo; 03-30-2022 at 11:00 PM.
fman15 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:27 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

TO give you an idea….yes this picture is edited. But it ultimately gives you the impact that Shark Blue gives you in direct sunlight. It is this BLUE! And notice even the yellow/black wheel center caps! Too much??? Not yet…IMO!

Last edited by flynlo; 03-30-2022 at 11:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flynlo:
Dan Nagy (03-31-2022), fman15 (03-31-2022), MrFunk (11-26-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 10:17 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flynlo
You’re paying for deviated stitching….but not extended. At least that is the way I remember. Extended would be something like Lizard Green or Lava Orange. Personally I think silver wheels look weird with Shark Blue….although the yellow calipers will help. I do think they pop…but not in a good way. Platinum looks better and works if you are going somewhat with a subdued spec. Again….(opinion warning)…..Shark Blue is a loud color. It NEEDS contrast. To put it another way, contrast is rewarded. I thought I would tire of all the yellow…and who knows, I still might. But no sign of that so far. If it was a daily driver it might be different…but I doubt it. And please realize I am not trying to talk you into anything. Just my opinions…and perspective!

Finally, don’t get too hung up on a thousand here or a thousand there. This is a dream car(for me anyway). A couple of thousand is not gonna make a huge difference in the wallet but it might make a huge difference in the spec.
Because I have leather steering wheel and shift boot, the only way to get the stitching on those is to pay the ~$1,700 for extended stitching regardless of the color so yellow or blue, it doesn't matter, the price is the same.

I dislike black wheels just because they are on everything and I think they are played out. You are right on the thousand here and there however, with that thought process I have my build over $135k so I'm reassessing what is necessary. I think the first thing to cut is the climate control panel in leather. I have not seen anyone select that and it is almost $800. I like the way the silver wheels make the blue pop but the platinum wheels also look cool. I go back and forth on those.
flynlo (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:41 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Because I have leather steering wheel and shift boot, the only way to get the stitching on those is to pay the ~$1,700 for extended stitching regardless of the color so yellow or blue, it doesn't matter, the price is the same.

I dislike black wheels just because they are on everything and I think they are played out. You are right on the thousand here and there however, with that thought process I have my build over $135k so I'm reassessing what is necessary. I think the first thing to cut is the climate control panel in leather. I have not seen anyone select that and it is almost $800. I like the way the silver wheels make the blue pop but the platinum wheels also look cool. I go back and forth on those.
Totally understand. Good luck! This is a very exciting phase and nerve wracking as well! In the end, you will have an amazing car!
Old 03-31-2022, 01:16 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 369 Posts

I’m not really a “deviated stitching” guy, can’t help but laugh at Doug demuro saying that so many times

but, I’m going shark blue with gold wheels and just a standard leather interior. It is my view if you go loud on the outside go subdued on the interior, and if you go a quiet color on the outside go something a little poppy on the interior.

doing loud on loud just reminds me of yellow cars with red interiors or people wearing print pants and print shirts, it’s a bit much.

i mean shark blue, then u go all yellow interior and gauges with crazy plaid print seats, it is a bit much imo.

The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
AdamIsAdam (03-31-2022), flynlo (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:57 PM
Cacou
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Slightly off topic, but has anyone picked up a Shark Blue car in Europe? What was the condition of your paint out of the factory, i.e., would it have needed paint correction before applying a protection film?
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:30 AM
sonystyle02
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
i mean shark blue, then u go all yellow interior and gauges with crazy plaid print seats, it is a bit much imo.
Hi. I’m a bit much 🙋🏻‍♂️

The following 7 users liked this post by sonystyle02:
Dan Nagy (04-02-2022), fman15 (04-02-2022), Jeff Jones (04-01-2022), P1Designs (04-02-2022), smegman (04-01-2022), UncleDude (04-01-2022), welikethetrack (04-01-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:39 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by sonystyle02
Hi. I’m a bit much 🙋🏻‍♂️

But it looks good on you...

Seriously, that interior looks great! My wife said the same thing about loud exterior and calm interior, but she said that about my wanting red seat belts (red calipers) and my white faced gauges which she didn't understand at all. My interior is standard all black with stock aluminum. In the end, I did add blue belts which she and I both love.

The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
sonystyle02 (04-01-2022), welikethetrack (04-01-2022)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread