Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I’ve been back and forth between GT4s and GT3s. I prefer the GT4, not tracking anymore.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:03 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Just a few more weeks and you will see mine! I hope, lol.
Mine should also be delivered in the next 2 weeks. Just reached port this morning. But I’m just being impatient
The following 2 users liked this post by momo360:
Alan C. (09-24-2021), Spyder Bite (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 09:30 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
The GT4 with the base headlights really look like Terminator eyes compared to the the GT3's with the PDLS/+.
One could argue it Is a Terminator.... Of apexes lol
Old 09-26-2021, 10:31 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sonystyle02
A few fresh deliveries at a local Porsche today.

Enjoy!

Ha ha, that's my car! Just took her home today, thanks for posting it.
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (10-05-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 01:06 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts
Talking

Ha! I was at the dealer picking up my Boxster from service when that truck pulled in with new cars !! Service guy lamented that they only have 2 new cars for sale. All those on the truck were customer cars.
You are a lucky dog !!

Last edited by abarthguy; 09-27-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:10 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

For those of us getting Shark Blue, I discovered a Porsche shirt that has a trim color that appears to be similar if that interests you (It is probably somewhere between Shark Blue and Miami Blue). Amusingly, it is listed as a Taycan shirt but nowhere on it does it say Taycan, just Porsche on the left chest and on a strip along a ventilation strip in the back. Mine just came in and it looks pretty nice. Note that it has European sizing, so check you sizes if you are not accustomed to the differences in US and Euro sizing. I normally wear a U.S. Large and occasionally a Medium, but I got this in XL and it fits me just right. Here's a screenshot and a link.
https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/polo-...WAP60300L0LTYC

Last edited by StormRune; 10-02-2021 at 08:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
Dan Nagy (09-27-2021), GT3FZS (02-16-2022)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:47 PM
sonystyle02
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Ha ha, that's my car! Just took her home today, thanks for posting it.
Congrats on the delivery! Last update was that my Shark Spyder was at the SD port. Hoping to take delivery soon.

I’m assuming you’re in the OC? I’m in Lake Forest. Would love to meet up at a C&C once the car gets here.
LnC993 (10-04-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 10:40 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Is anyone bothered by the fact that this exact same paint code is available at no charge on TWO models from VW (GTI and Taos)? I really like this color but it drives me nuts that it costs nearly 3k for a color that has existed for a while on "lower" brands. I'm back and forth between this and Carmine Red...and nearly convinced myself to go Python Green. I'm surprised the Carmine Red is not a popular color (at least not enough to get its own thread!) and while the Python Green would be pretty unique, I am going with the GTS interior package which only comes in chalk or carmine red stitching and don't like either combination.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:47 PM
dicker
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by servicemodel
Is anyone bothered by the fact that this exact same paint code is available at no charge on TWO models from VW (GTI and Taos)? I really like this color but it drives me nuts that it costs nearly 3k for a color that has existed for a while on "lower" brands. I'm back and forth between this and Carmine Red...and nearly convinced myself to go Python Green. I'm surprised the Carmine Red is not a popular color (at least not enough to get its own thread!) and while the Python Green would be pretty unique, I am going with the GTS interior package which only comes in chalk or carmine red stitching and don't like either combination.

I had started with shark blue, first saw it on the 992 GT3 press car, and I looked at a Taos in different lighting about 5 times at a VW dealer and talked myself out of it based on a combination of the cost, and the way it looks in direct sunlight. Carmine red is great and was very popular on the 981 GTS and 718 GTS 2.5, nothing wrong with it.

Have you seen the python green in person? I like green cars, and the color green, but python didn't do it for me. If you have to get the GTS interior and like to match, carmine would look great, but the chalk stitching will go with almost any color.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:48 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Ummm, I don’t think so. We all ordered it. It’s no different than the other extra stuff that Porsche charges a ridiculous amount of money. I have over $20K in options that are mostly standard on a KIA. It doesn’t drive me nuts for any of that as well.

It’s Shark Blue, and that paint color name is designed by Porsche… so it’s special. Lol. Just forget about it and order what you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
Guaji (09-27-2021), jimdillard (02-13-2022)
Old 09-27-2021, 10:58 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 145 Posts

I can’t believe that Porsche recycled a color from VW for their halo car, the GT3. And as you point out, a free color. I originally ordered a Shark Blue, and made the mistake of going to a VW dealer to see the color. The color looks ok on a GTI and not so good on a Taos. In hindsight, I should have known that it would look better on a Porsche. I switched to a “boring” color Chalk, which for me is a safe choice. I would love to see one in Carmine Red, would look classy. Blue colors are the hot trend at the moment with many manufacturers, just like the “paint primer” trend. Nice to have choices and I believe there is no one color that suits these cars. My original build two years ago had GT Silver, until I got an allocation.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:32 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

Honestly not really, I was more bothered by the lack of bright color choices and inability to get PTS for the GT4 and was willing to pay (as they probably already know)

nobody is going to confuse a GT4 with a GTI or Taos or a 4runner in voodoo blue or whatever, and does it really matter? get the color you like
The following 2 users liked this post by smegman:
GT3FZS (02-16-2022), jimdillard (02-13-2022)
Old 09-27-2021, 11:48 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by dicker
I had started with shark blue, first saw it on the 992 GT3 press car, and I looked at a Taos in different lighting about 5 times at a VW dealer and talked myself out of it based on a combination of the cost, and the way it looks in direct sunlight. Carmine red is great and was very popular on the 981 GTS and 718 GTS 2.5, nothing wrong with it.

Have you seen the python green in person? I like green cars, and the color green, but python didn't do it for me. If you have to get the GTS interior and like to match, carmine would look great, but the chalk stitching will go with almost any color.
Briefly saw a python green Taycan drive past me but have seen probably 90% of the photos posted online in the past few days. I think it's a good color but wish it were a shade darker.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Ummm, I don’t think so. We all ordered it. It’s no different than the other extra stuff that Porsche charges a ridiculous amount of money. I have over $20K in options that are mostly standard on a KIA. It doesn’t drive me nuts for any of that as well.

It’s Shark Blue, and that paint color name is designed by Porsche… so it’s special. Lol. Just forget about it and order what you want.
Hah, I'm in the same boat as you all...my build locks in about a week and my current configuration is in shark blue with healthy options on it. I have largely accepted we are going to get gouged on even the most basic features. I guess what irks me about this one is that they want us to pay a hefty cost to have a "special" color that likely does not cost them much more than their other standard colors. Perhaps they did more testing or had more "inspirations" to develop the color and therefore ideally, we are paying to get a bit more exclusive and unique color. Ok fine. But to recycle the color from another brand to achieve this almost is insulting. It should be the other way around where they introduce the special color first within the Porsche lineup and then a few years later filter it down to the other brands.

Originally Posted by Guaji
I can’t believe that Porsche recycled a color from VW for their halo car, the GT3. And as you point out, a free color. I originally ordered a Shark Blue, and made the mistake of going to a VW dealer to see the color. The color looks ok on a GTI and not so good on a Taos. In hindsight, I should have known that it would look better on a Porsche. I switched to a “boring” color Chalk, which for me is a safe choice. I would love to see one in Carmine Red, would look classy. Blue colors are the hot trend at the moment with many manufacturers, just like the “paint primer” trend. Nice to have choices and I believe there is no one color that suits these cars. My original build two years ago had GT Silver, until I got an allocation.
I lived near someone who owned the GTI rabbit and I did like the color a lot (still do). I have especially noticed the chalk being overdone by many manufacturers and also now the brighter blues. I think the shark blue is the best out there though and I like it enough I will probably still lock my build with it.
Guaji (09-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 11:54 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by smegman
Honestly not really, I was more bothered by the lack of bright color choices and inability to get PTS for the GT4 and was willing to pay (as they probably already know)

nobody is going to confuse a GT4 with a GTI or Taos or a 4runner in voodoo blue or whatever, and does it really matter? get the color you like
I agree and wish they had more bright color choices. PTS is personally out of my budget in terms of value and I am surprised to know it is not even available for the GT4.

As for your last point, I guess I don't care as much that others may have the same color. I do like the color and will likely go with it. Obviously, no one will mistake the car for something else...but it's just gives off an impression they were being lazy with such a premium product...and still request the upcharge for it. Just leaves a bad taste.

Last edited by servicemodel; 09-27-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:44 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Just saw a GT3 today in Shark Blue. I wanted to see it before my SB build locks next week. After seeing Shark Blue in person I’m 100% happy with the color. I tried photographing it but it did not match the car. Placed a Voodoo Blue sample next to the Shark Blue and as others have noted Shark is about one shade lighter. I wouldn’t spend $13k on Voodoo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan C.:
jimdillard (02-13-2022), LnC993 (09-29-2021)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread