Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best Track Time in a 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 04:29 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 812 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr9152
I would be very interested to hear the response.
Shoot Scott and Adam an email I would expect you to get a quick response. If not let me know and I will pursue it for you.

Peter
Old 12-01-2022, 06:20 PM
997kyle
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would be very interested to hear the response.
I emailed Adam and Abrin prior to the event to ask if I would be able to run my car which had an original MSRP of $105,000. The rules state that the cars must be under an “inflation adjusted” MSRP of $115,000.

Adam’s response:
Hey Kyle thanks for the email. Are you thinking for 2022 competition or 2023+? Inflation wording will likely be adjusted going forward because of the tumultuous economic times were in, regarding inflation.

Currently you are inside the spirit of the rules regarding those numbers

Adam Jabaay, Gridlife Co-founder/Motorsports

….So that’s where we left off. I’ll be sending him a follow up on this right now as the recent rule changes were just released this week but nothing was talked about regarding that rule and what the “inflation” factor would be.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:46 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 997kyle
I emailed Adam and Abrin prior to the event to ask if I would be able to run my car which had an original MSRP of $105,000. The rules state that the cars must be under an “inflation adjusted” MSRP of $115,000.

Adam’s response:
Hey Kyle thanks for the email. Are you thinking for 2022 competition or 2023+? Inflation wording will likely be adjusted going forward because of the tumultuous economic times were in, regarding inflation.

Currently you are inside the spirit of the rules regarding those numbers

Adam Jabaay, Gridlife Co-founder/Motorsports

….So that’s where we left off. I’ll be sending him a follow up on this right now as the recent rule changes were just released this week but nothing was talked about regarding that rule and what the “inflation” factor would be.
Thank you. I just sent him one as well.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:23 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

The response I got was my car would go into Street Mod.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:44 PM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

The response I got was my car would go into Street Mod.
Hmm...I got a response that the GT4 would fall into Track Modern simply due to the OEM tire width being over 285mm.

Track Modern is a really difficult class I think. Lots of significant aero, unlimited width DOT-R tires, mixed manufacturer engine swaps.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022, 5:02 PM Adam Jabaay <adam@grid.life> wrote:

Under the OEM sizes, it's a Track mod car, unfortunately

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022, 8:44 PM edub wrote:The gt4 comes with a stock rear size of 295/35/20 in the rear. Front is 245/30/20

Would that mean it's street mod right off the bat?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022, 6:00 PM Adam Jabaay <adam@grid.life> wrote:hey edub thanks for the email!

the GT4 could run in either SM or SGT likely, and the difference if engine is largely OEM, would be the allowed tire sizes. SGT might be an ideal place if the sizes are over 285mm (limit in SM), SM however allows much more modding of the drivetrain.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 2:40 PM edub wrote:Hello,

1. As the 718 GT4 can be ordered from Porsche for under the Street GT classes $115k, does it get classified as a Street GT car, or a Street Mod car based on the MSRP as sold with options?

Link to the 2023 rules https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ttle+Rules.pdf

2. What is the definition of active suspension components? Is that a component which adds external energy into the suspension (like increasing chassis rake dynamically), or a component that simply modifies suspension settings (like changing strut valving dynamically)?

Thanks for clarifying these questions

edub

Last edited by edub; 12-05-2022 at 04:46 PM. Reason: initial formatting was awful
Old 12-05-2022, 04:56 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edub
Hmm...I got a response that the GT4 would fall into Track Modern simply due to the OEM tire width being over 285mm.

Track Modern is a really difficult class I think. Lots of significant aero, unlimited width DOT-R tires, mixed manufacturer engine swaps.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022, 5:02 PM Adam Jabaay <adam@grid.life> wrote:

Under the OEM sizes, it's a Track mod car, unfortunately

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022, 8:44 PM edub wrote:The gt4 comes with a stock rear size of 295/35/20 in the rear. Front is 245/30/20

Would that mean it's street mod right off the bat?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022, 6:00 PM Adam Jabaay <adam@grid.life> wrote:hey edub thanks for the email!

the GT4 could run in either SM or SGT likely, and the difference if engine is largely OEM, would be the allowed tire sizes. SGT might be an ideal place if the sizes are over 285mm (limit in SM), SM however allows much more modding of the drivetrain.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 2:40 PM edub wrote:Hello,

1. As the 718 GT4 can be ordered from Porsche for under the Street GT classes $115k, does it get classified as a Street GT car, or a Street Mod car based on the MSRP as sold with options?

Link to the 2023 rules https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ttle+Rules.pdf

2. What is the definition of active suspension components? Is that a component which adds external energy into the suspension (like increasing chassis rake dynamically), or a component that simply modifies suspension settings (like changing strut valving dynamically)?

Thanks for clarifying these questions

edub
Well yes I would have to run 285 rear tires to run in street mod. I don't think the GT4 fits well into street mod or track mod if you are looking to be competitive.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:57 PM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

Well yes I would have to run 285 rear tires to run in street mod. I don't think the GT4 fits well into street mod or track mod if you are looking to be competitive.
I wrote Gridlife again to ask about Street GT classification. The GT4 fits into that class save for the MSRP question.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:59 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edub
I wrote Gridlife again to ask about Street GT classification. The GT4 fits into that class save for the MSRP question.
Street GT makes the most sense for sure. Almost like the rule was written to specifically exclude the GT4.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:09 PM
paffinity
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

2020 718 GT4 Manual, ~4k miles,
5w50 Mobil 1
50/50 Mix of 91 octane/100 octane
Do you find that the thicker engine oil and mixed fuel helps with temps?
Old 12-05-2022, 07:55 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm curious what folks use this thread for. I started to follow it because I own a GT4 and I drive one in Assetto Corsa on tracks you visit but I probably never will. It gives me a base for comparison except there is too much variability. I think it has to do with driver ability, knowledge of the track, time-of-day/temperature and peculiarities of the track itself. I still get a pretty rough ball-park, 3-8% slower, but that's about as good as I can get. Maybe that's as good as I can get!
Old 12-06-2022, 05:29 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rbpeirce
I'm curious what folks use this thread for. I started to follow it because I own a GT4 and I drive one in Assetto Corsa on tracks you visit but I probably never will. It gives me a base for comparison except there is too much variability. I think it has to do with driver ability, knowledge of the track, time-of-day/temperature and peculiarities of the track itself. I still get a pretty rough ball-park, 3-8% slower, but that's about as good as I can get. Maybe that's as good as I can get!
I use it to compare how I'm doing comparatively. More importantly to find people running the same tracks, and hopefully learn how to improve from their videos.
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,082 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by rbpeirce
I've found I get roughly the same lap times to real life when I set track grip to 95% and run street tyres on the GT4 in Assetto Corsa. Otherwise the game is much, much faster.

I made a couple of comparison videos with my local tracks as a point of interest.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:33 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
I've found I get roughly the same lap times to real life when I set track grip to 95% and run street tyres on the GT4 in Assetto Corsa. Otherwise the game is much, much faster.
Sort of ditto. Since getting my GT4 I've only driven Pitt Race. I had an early AC mod for that track and needed 85% grip to match. Optimum produced times faster than any I've seen posted here. I just got a much newer mod and I've found that using the standard Old track setting in AC, 89% I believe, I can match my actual track times pretty well [200 TW tires]. What I'd like to determine is whether that carries over to other tracks or not. So far it seems to, but as I said, the variability is pretty high.

What would really bet helpful is feedback like yours where people compare their actual and sim times, using standard AC settings. It doesn't even need to be exact. If you run Old track for example and are consistently X% slower or faster on a specific track that would be a big start.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:02 AM
997kyle
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paffinity
Do you find that the thicker engine oil and mixed fuel helps with temps?
Unfortunately, neither of those actually lower the temperatures but they are preventive measures to help protect the engine under extreme conditions.

Higher viscosity oil is used when tracking the car in order to retain proper oil pressure due to the fact that the engine oil temperature gets much hotter when you are repeatedly running hot laps.

On the side of the fuel - I am mixing it for two reasons.

One, the factory ecu is tuned up to 93 octane so you will find the best performance out of the car if you are running at 93 octane. Anything above this will not increase performance out of the car without further tuning.

Which leads me into the second reason of why I am clearly above 93 octane with the mixture I am using. This is because I’d rather be on the side of caution when pushing the car hard at the track. Higher octane fuel is less susceptible to early detonation under extreme cylinder temps. Some would say I am just wasting money and that I could mix it closer to 93, but in my opinion I’d rather be a little further in the safe side. Also, fuel ratings are not always perfect.

Just a side note on temperatures: I will be in need of further oil cooling measures as the ecu went into limp mode on about my 7th lap of my last session at Topeka. When this happened my oil temperature was pegged out (I forget what the actual temperature was) but my coolant temp was still under 200. I was exiting the last corner of a very fast lap, my foot was to the floor but when the computer went into limp mode I could feel the fuel cut and acceleration halted. I was able to continue on a very slow cool down lap and when the oil temp came down full power was returned. Ambient temperature was 77 degrees. I plan to write further about this in another forum in order to find a solution to this issue.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:15 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 812 Likes on 465 Posts

Unfortunately, neither of those actually lower the temperatures but they are preventive measures to help protect the engine under extreme conditions.

Higher viscosity oil is used when tracking the car in order to retain proper oil pressure due to the fact that the engine oil temperature gets much hotter when you are repeatedly running hot laps.

On the side of the fuel - I am mixing it for two reasons.

One, the factory ecu is tuned up to 93 octane so you will find the best performance out of the car if you are running at 93 octane. Anything above this will not increase performance out of the car without further tuning.

Which leads me into the second reason of why I am clearly above 93 octane with the mixture I am using. This is because I’d rather be on the side of caution when pushing the car hard at the track. Higher octane fuel is less susceptible to early detonation under extreme cylinder temps. Some would say I am just wasting money and that I could mix it closer to 93, but in my opinion I’d rather be a little further in the safe side. Also, fuel ratings are not always perfect.

Just a side note on temperatures: I will be in need of further oil cooling measures as the ecu went into limp mode on about my 7th lap of my last session at Topeka. When this happened my oil temperature was pegged out (I forget what the actual temperature was) but my coolant temp was still under 200. I was exiting the last corner of a very fast lap, my foot was to the floor but when the computer went into limp mode I could feel the fuel cut and acceleration halted. I was able to continue on a very slow cool down lap and when the oil temp came down full power was returned. Ambient temperature was 77 degrees. I plan to write further about this in another forum in order to find a solution to this issue.
Hmm we just ran 30 min sessions at Sebring in 80+ weather and Oil temps were OK. I will be at Sebring this Friday and temps are supposed to be in the 80's again so will see what happens. As for adding some 100 octane for track use it isn't a bad idea as the IAT's run high.

Peter

Quick Reply: Best Track Time in a 718 GT4