Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 04:32 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

I am taking delivery of my Spyder in a few days. I've read a ton of threads on exhaust options and am still up in the air as to what I should do. I track Laguna Seca often and their sound limit is 90db. I would imagine most of my options put me above 90db. What's the solution to getting under the sound limit at some tracks? Laguna pipes? Closing the valves?
Old 01-21-2021, 04:53 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

From all the videos I have heard on youtube, all the cat-back exhausts or over axle pipes have produced somewhat of a raspy tone with two exceptions - capristo and dundon GT3 mufflers. Nothing wrong with being raspy but I personally prefer a more solid higher pitch tone like 981 GT4 and 992 GT3 produce. I think it has to do with the split exhaust pipe configuration.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:17 PM
frmmrs
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Im in cleveland - little far away and little to cold for that demo, but I appreciate the input!
Looks like I'm headed for the race exhaust!
Thanks
Old 01-22-2021, 02:07 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Encouraging to hear your summary of the Soul OAP...exactly what I'm hoping for when I get around to having mine installed.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
No drone. Marginally louder below 3800 RPMs; which is fine as I'm not interested in constant noise in lower RPM situations. Above 3800 quite glorious, 6000-8000 it's a guttural howl.

I also have no interest in making the 4.0 sound like the previous 3.4/3.8 -- celebrate the 4.0.

Soul fitment, finish, and support excellent as well.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ltfl09
9k for headers and OAP is kind of ridiculous. Don't know how much their rear section will cost, probably around 5-6k is my guess. $14-15k. 10% of the car isn't reasonable in my opinion
I’ll be doing the Dundon with the OEM muffler. A friend has the same setup and it sounds great. Quiet when you need it to be and screams at the track if you want.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:42 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

I ordered the Soul delete pipes yesterday. I am going to send them to Jet-Hot for the 2500 degree ceramic coating in the titanium finish. I will see how this sounds before I decide if I will change the exhaust.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:18 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

I have my resonated exhaust at Jet Hot for their 1300...should be done in a week. One thing to keep in mind is that the temp ratings of the coating is how much temp they can sustain not how much they will retain....you can save some $$$ on choosing the correct one for the application.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:50 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have my resonated exhaust at Jet Hot for their 1300...should be done in a week. One thing to keep in mind is that the temp ratings of the coating is how much temp they can sustain not how much they will retain....you can save some $$$ on choosing the correct one for the application.
I was a Marine, I believe in over-kill!

I looked at the price difference and thought what can I do to leave no doubt that this thing is as good or better than the factory part if I was ever questioned about it by the dealership. It will never get this hot but it was not that much more money to do the 2500 degree. I also thought it might be more durable, but I do not really know?

Last edited by blackland; 01-22-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Check out our new video showcasing the sound and power of our 718 GT4 System!

Featuring our Valvetronic Exhaust, Sport Headers, and GPF Delete.

https://youtu.be/LFVucASnINo

THAT IS GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex C
From all the videos I have heard on youtube, all the cat-back exhausts or over axle pipes have produced somewhat of a raspy tone with two exceptions - capristo and dundon GT3 mufflers. Nothing wrong with being raspy but I personally prefer a more solid higher pitch tone like 981 GT4 and 992 GT3 produce. I think it has to do with the split exhaust pipe configuration.
Of everything I have heard so far, my top pick is Cargraphic with their resonated OAPs and the Club Sport muffler. It appears to have a much deeper tone and little to no raspiness compared to other options. I like this.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:05 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Of everything I have heard so far, my top pick is Cargraphic with their resonated OAPs and the Club Sport muffler. It appears to have a much deeper tone and little to no raspiness compared to other options. I like this.
I agree on you and I would add that Cargraphic is one of the few companies (if not the only one) that provide as many setups needed to meet every customer desires, but always respecting the signature Porsche sound, and even their components looks like OEM ones. Some of their setups are focused on zero drone and others to enhance the sound.

I have sitting, an Akrapovic OAP, waiting for the Cargraphic Racing X pipe muffler to arrive and then try out both. My aim is a high pitched "wail" sound, like the video below, which by the way is not an 981 alike sound, is more like an mezger engine GT3 sound. Well if I succeeded at my first attempt then I will be in heaven. I am also betting on that the mix chamber of this muffler will mute most of the drone when valves are closed.

Another important thing that I really appreciate from Cargraphic is that, even in their most extreme setup, they mention that they develop this to maintain the brand's signature sound, which is great!. I also think that Cargraphic doesn't receive much attention in the States because you have a bunch of local manufacturers there, and from that bunch there's two properly engineering companies, Soul and Dundon, but that is... the rest are a no no for me (sadly from previous experience).

So If I didn't had to deal with the EU band straps mount version in my exhaust, probably I would have opted for the less expensive Soul X Pipe. I also want to kudos the Obsessed Garage guy for all of his experiments, they have been key to make my mind of which system has the best chance to be spot on with what I'm seeking.

Finally just a thought about the valve controller, I love the Cargraphic approach, but as time passes by, I think that the OEM controller is just fine. As I have the controller already installed I think that I will keep it there, but I would say that if you will do an OAP and/or muffler, is not necessary to install an exhaust controller.

Anyway I will report once everything get installed, for now my target is this sound:

The following 2 users liked this post by metalone:
964C4 (11-18-2021), Net Cars (02-06-2022)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:33 PM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
No drone. Marginally louder below 3800 RPMs; which is fine as I'm not interested in constant noise in lower RPM situations. Above 3800 quite glorious, 6000-8000 it's a guttural howl.

I also have no interest in making the 4.0 sound like the previous 3.4/3.8 -- celebrate the 4.0.

Soul fitment, finish, and support excellent as well.

100% agree with this. Love my Soul OAPs. I MIGHT give the Soul valved exhaust a try later this year but I’m really enjoying the added character provided by the OAPs and may stop there. I originally didn’t detect much drone but it’s there as TXshaggy says but it doesn’t bother me at all. I only use the car for joy rides on backroads and I find it perfect, especially with the windows down in the GT4 - I can only imagine how it is with the top down in the Spyder. I would encourage anyone on the fence to see if they can listen to the car in person both as an observer and passenger standpoint. It’s much louder than you think as an outside observer while not blasting you away as a passenger.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:20 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JCR silenced race pipe on my Spyder. Some drone 2000-2600 rpm, especially with the top up, and a little loud for the neighborhood, but otherwise fantastic in every respect.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (01-26-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:55 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mb996
JCR silenced race pipe on my Spyder. Some drone 2000-2600 rpm, especially with the top up, and a little loud for the neighborhood, but otherwise fantastic in every respect.
Drone with valves open and closed? I was thinking about ordering JCR silenced as well but really don't want any drone as I use the car for longer trips and/or daily driving on occasion.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, drone with either; honestly I don’t notice much difference valves open or closed in general except under very hard acceleration. The drone is easy to avoid by downshifting to get above the drone rpm. At highway speeds it’s not an issue, and over 3000 rpm, the sound is glorious.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?