Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 02:01 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

I fully agree with your comments above regarding the 5,000-6,000 RPM range. The 718 4-liter NA engine seems to take on "a life of its own" with the sound produced at and above that RPM level. Perhaps "scream" is a better way to describe it. Whatever it is...it's VERY PRONOUNCED!! It was great sound with my SOUL Resonated Ceramic coated OAP's...and it's even better sound with my new Kline Inconel 625 OAP/Back Box system.

I drove to Costco yesterday afternoon in my Spyder, and as always, parked as far out from the maddening crowd as I could. As I was locking my car, a middle-aged gent pulled up and stopped looking at the Spyder with his wife. He said they'd followed me in to Costco, and "just couldn't believe the beautiful sound," or words to that effect. He had a million questions about the car as I'm used to getting now. It's always fun to show people the car. The very friendly gas station attendants at Costco all know my Spyder...and almost always walk up to shoot the breeze. FWIW...our Costco pumps 39,000 gallons per month...give or take...and they fill their tanks 4-5 times PER DAY with trucks from our Nashville fuel farm. Our Costco's Tier 1 93-octane Premium is currently $3.88/gallon.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimdillard:
tigerhonaker (09-12-2023), Treemagnet (09-11-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 11:34 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jimdillard
I fully agree with your comments above regarding the 5,000-6,000 RPM range. The 718 4-liter NA engine seems to take on "a life of its own" with the sound produced at and above that RPM level. Perhaps "scream" is a better way to describe it. Whatever it is...it's VERY PRONOUNCED!! It was great sound with my SOUL Resonated Ceramic coated OAP's...and it's even better sound with my new Kline Inconel 625 OAP/Back Box system.

I drove to Costco yesterday afternoon in my Spyder, and as always, parked as far out from the maddening crowd as I could. As I was locking my car, a middle-aged gent pulled up and stopped looking at the Spyder with his wife. He said they'd followed me in to Costco, and "just couldn't believe the beautiful sound," or words to that effect. He had a million questions about the car as I'm used to getting now. It's always fun to show people the car. The very friendly gas station attendants at Costco all know my Spyder...and almost always walk up to shoot the breeze. FWIW...our Costco pumps 39,000 gallons per month...give or take...and they fill their tanks 4-5 times PER DAY with trucks from our Nashville fuel farm. Our Costco's Tier 1 93-octane Premium is currently $3.88/gallon.
Jim Dillard,

Seems you and Cosco fit together nicely.
Great pricing for goods and Awesome pricing for the Premium 93-Octane Gas.

I can easily relate to people approaching you to chat with you about your Porsche Spyder in the Beautiful Gentian Blue.
It seems you enjoy talking with people as I do regarding our Porsche machines.

Hope to get together with you in a few weeks after my refurbished driveway totally Cures/Drys.

Terry
Old 10-03-2023, 11:56 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Morning everyone,

Speaking of my SOUL, OAP W/Ceramic Coating, SOUL, rear-valved-muffler, SOUL, Sound-Symposer Delete and Cargraphics-Valve-Controller components.
Below are some Up-Dates on how the system sounds and living with it.
I think some of you might find the below information useful.

The below is me taking Jim Dillard on an extended drive per his request comparing my SOUL to his Newly installed KLINE exhaust system.
I now have like 7,600 plus miles on my 2021 GT4 W/PDK and almost 2-Years old with the above changes.
I have decided to keep what I have as I have learned exactly how to drive with the changes I have.
I absolutely LOVE the exhaust sound that I have at all RPM with the Cargraphics valve-controller set to Wide-Open-Valves.
I drive in the Manual-Mode manly using the Shift-Paddles...................
I took a buddy a long afternoon drive last week per his request.
He just had the KLINE exhaust system installed on his Porsche 2022 Gentian Blue Spyder with the 6-Speed manual tranny not long ago.
So, he wanted to once again ride in the passenger seat and judge for himself what mine is like compared to his Spyder with the KLINE Exhaust System and his Manual Tranny.
Jim was of the opinion that mine was actually going to have some God Awful DRONE/RESONANCE.
Keep in mind that we were out for maybe like 4-5 hours on two lane country roads.
Hills, curves etc at all different speeds so down to 2nd gear and up to 4th gear over and over and over ..............
Also, I did take it up to 7,000-7,500 & 8,000 RPM a few times so he could hear it with WOT (Wide-Open-Throttle).
Jim's conclusion and feedback to me while him riding as well as back at his house.
My words as I don't have the memory to use exactly his words in what he said.
While we were out for awhile he said the following,
Terry where's the Dreaded Drone that so many guys are talking about on Rennlist.
I haven't heard anything yet that even remotely bothers me with your exhaust.
I know this is the GT4 and I have the Spyder but still this sounds so Bad-*** and exactly what someone would think a Porsche Track oriented GT4 would or should sound like.
There is No-Way to compare my Spyder with the KLINE exhaust system to this.
Mine sounds to me at high RPM Very-very nice indeed.
But, this GT4 is like a DAMN true Porsche Race-Car especially at HIGH RPM it's AWESOME !!!

Jim Dillard said let me use some "Quick Detailer" and get the few bugs off the "Front-Fascia" so I did.

Next is me taking my wife Cathy out yesterday per her request on the exact same route I did everyday doing the 2,000 recommended Break-In.
She has wanted to do that for a long time so we finally got together yesterday morning and off we went.
The following will be her Feedback to me on what she thought of riding in the GT4 and of course the SOUL exhaust system.
Note*
Cathy is NOT a car person at all.

We were out for like 6-Hours or so and covered 219.6 miles.
Of course I cannot recall her exact words but I can post what her thoughts and comments were using my words that have the same meaning.
As we were still in Franklin where we live she immediately said I'm sitting so low. LOL !!!
I said honey that's because Jim Dillard was sitting where you are so the seat is set as low as it would go.
She raised the seat to a comfortable height as I have the optional 18-Way powered seats.
Cathy also said this is more comfortable than I had expected she had only been in the GT4 when I 1st picked it up from Porsche of Nashville when we took it for a drive that evening after taking delivery.
As we continued to leave Franklin she said Terry the exhaust to me sounds just fine it's NOT to LOUD to me at all.
I overlooked mentioning this and just now caught that I left out something Really-really important guys.
Cathy said to me it's so easy for us to talk to one another.
Guys, Cathy is a little, petite lady and has poor vision but she does still have EXCELLENT-HEARING and certainly way the heck better than my hearing.
We could and did talk to one another with No-Effort and Zero-Need for either of us to have to raise our voices.
Sorry, I forgot to add this the 1st time ................

Note Guys*
I chose to drive the GT4 using the Shift-Paddles 100% of the time.

Moving on Cathy loved the route as it took us through so many small communities and also the speed limits varied between 20-25-35-45 and a high of 55 MPH.
That's ^^^ what I originally picked to do those 2,000 Porsche Break-In-Miles that I accomplished in 1-Week.
The roads took us on curvy hills, straight stretches and as I said above speeds varied all over the place so lots and lots and lots of "Manual-Gear-Changes" using the Shift-Paddles.
I'll try not to just keep on repeating the same comments she made going and coming but just keep in mind she did comment more than just a few times on the following.
Terry, Jim Dillard was correct you Do-Not need to change the Exhaust it is exactly what this car needs for it's Racy-Appearance and it sounds perfect for a Sports car.
Guys as I posted above we were gone for over 6-hours and covered almost 220 miles.
Cathy actually said she was enjoying the trips as the GT4 was NOT like riding in a Buck-Board at all.
And the exhaust was easy to live with at the speeds we were driving and the varying of mph it was nothing annoying to her at all.
I just now got back home from dropping her off at work and on the way their I asked her if she had anything else she would like to say about our trips yesterday???
She said I really am glad we did that and as far as the car (she doesn't generally say GT4) it's just as perfect as it can be with what you've done to it.
And Terry you Do-Not need to change the SOUL exhaust it sounds to me just like what one would expect.

Okay guys the above I think covers both Jim Dillard as well as Cathy riding in the GT4 for extended hours under different road conditions.
I have been considering changing part of my SOUL exhaust components recently.
But ..............
I've now driven the GT4 for thousands of miles and what I can say being 100% honest is the following.

(1) You do have to be willing to drive different with what I have and that's NOT an opinion it's simply the way it is with the 7-speed PDK tranny.

(2) If your willing to take the time to do the above ..............

(3) It takes IMO thousands of miles on all different roads as well as the interstate to become Super-Efficient.

(4) To me the PLUS-Side is if you are patient and sometimes that's not easy the Final-Rewards are to me "Well-Worth-the-Extra-Effort".

Below is the Link to the SOUL dedicated Thread and the V2 Version of what I was considering to make a change to.
In my case I'm so comfortable driving with what I have I'm NOT going to make any further exhaust changes as multiple people riding in my GT4 love the way it Looks and the way it Sounds.

Well we shall see who is the 1st that gets a set of the New V2 version ................

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post19004340

Have a Good-Day,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-03-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Forgot/Overlooked mentioning the following on Cathy's comments ....
The following 4 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (10-03-2023), LooseNut (10-08-2023), slilley (10-04-2023), Treemagnet (10-03-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 01:50 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Porsche recall for (VEHICLE ENGINE DATA LABEL UPDATE) ...

Greetings,

Some of you might have also had this Porsche recall done.
If not look for your Notice in the Mail.

Another great experience at PON (Porsche of Nashville).

Terry

The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 01:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I contacted Porsche to see if they could mail me the label and as expected they said I had to take it to the shop. Since I know how to add air to my tires I will leave this recall for the next owner to take care of.
jimdillard (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 02:38 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Terry, can you take a pic of the new label. Thx.
jimdillard (10-19-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 11:19 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
Terry, can you take a pic of the new label. Thx.
lowbee,

No problem see below ..................

Terry

lowbee (10-20-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 04:54 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb Porsche 718 GT4 / Spyder / GTS 4.0L SOUL Valved Exhaust System (Shipped) ...

Hello guys,

I have now spoken to John Gaydos and my New V2 SOUL "rear valved muffler" exhaust system is on it's way.
From all I have read and had in-depth discussions I am very much looking forward to having this installed on my Porsche Cayman 718 2021 GT4 in "Racing Yellow".

Porsche 718 GT4 / Spyder / GTS 4.0L SOUL Valved Exhaust System (Shipped) ...

https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-7...xhaust-system/

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:Changing just the PSE muffler with stock over axle pipes offers a superb change in tone. It is smoother and higher pitched, more in line with the flat 6 character we’ve come to appreciate with previous generations of Boxster / Cayman. The PSE running valves closed had no real tone to it, we’d describe it as tinny, hollow, and rather boring as you can hear more of the intake than the exhaust. With our Valved Exhaust System the exhaust now has real character, and you can hear more of it everywhere with valves open and closed. Expect a smooth transition between valves closed and open modes. With the rest of the exhaust stock, the overall sound level at WOT with valves open may not sound dramatically increased. This is due to how aggressive the flow path is with valves open on the new 718’s PSE muffler. However, on our system the larger tubing diameter, distance traveled, and blending of the X-pipe gives the sound more depth and changes the tone to a smooth / higher pitch song. It sounds incredible especially from the outside, offering a true sporty note one would expect from the high end 4.0L.

We found that the particulate filters in the over axle pipes put a big damper on the overall sound level and how it carries into the cabin. Think of it like a cork in the middle of the exhaust, letting a PSE muffler replacement tease you but not giving you the full experience. Combining our Valved Exhaust System with our Competition Over Axle Pipes is when the skies open up, the sun shines down and the Porsche Gods have blessed us with the sound we’ve all been waiting for. Inside and outside the car, windows up and down, the experience is nothing short of transformational. At wide open throttle it sounds like a weapons grade symphony. Very reminiscent of a GT3 at 9k, and arguably better than any stock GT3 you’ll ever hear on the street. Ditching the factory over axle pipes finally allows the car to have some burble on deceleration but nothing too over the top, just enough and just right. When you do a hard shift, a visceral crack erupts to really put a smile on your face. Not like a shotgun blast going off, more like a reward for actually driving the car how it’s meant to be driven. The sound is aggressive, but not overly so like you just took an RSR off the track for street shenanigans. When you’re off throttle cruising around, it’s relatively docile and comfortable (that secondary flow path at work). If you want to fly under the radar and significantly cut down on sound level outside the car, you simply close the valves and away you go in stealth mode. However, even with valves closed the tone and character of the exhaust is still there, not dead muted like the PSE muffler. It has cabin presence, some ever so mild drone/resonance in low rpms that we consider quite reasonable compared to the other configurations we’ve tested – even with valves open it’s quite reasonable. We’d almost say it’s more a character of the system and it’d be a shame if there wasn’t any to tease you into squeezing on the gas to hear more of it. We highly recommend installing a SOUL Valve Controller Kit to override the PSE programming at your convenience, and hear what it has to offer under 4-5k rpm in the first few gears – it’s worth it!

I already have the SOUL ceramic coated performance OAP.
Plus the, Porsche 718 GT4 / Spyder / GTS 4.0L Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete
I also have a valve controller.

I think this is going to be without any doubt a major plus to my GT4 for a Performance Exhaust that comes extremely close to what the stock Porsche GT3 sounds like at High RPM.

Note*
I will be doing a Full UN-Biased report once I have put it to a full test using the Valve-Controller for (Closed) as well as (Fully-Open) exhaust valves.
By a Full-Test I'm going to put somewhere around 500-Street miles on the new V2 exhaust before I post my comments.
I think that should give me more than sufficient time to then do a Full-Blown report.

Plus, I will also take the time to furnish some YouTube videos inside the cabin with Windows CLOSED with varying speeds & RPM with my 7-Speed PDK for those of you interested.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-28-2023 at 10:09 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
aclicky (10-27-2023), jimdillard (10-27-2023), slilley (10-30-2023), Treemagnet (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 04:58 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

I hope there is an improvement to your driving enjoyment Terry.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
jimdillard (10-27-2023), tigerhonaker (10-29-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 06:49 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

At the price that the Soul v2 is commanding, it has to be much better than Kline in every which way (sound, weight, fitment, etc); otherwise, it's a non-starter
The following 2 users liked this post by lowbee:
jimdillard (10-27-2023), UncleDude (10-27-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:16 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I hope there is an improvement to your driving enjoyment Terry.
UncleDude,

Well from that Super-Lengthy, Highly Involved discussion I think I will.

Originally Posted by lowbee
At the price that the Soul v2 is commanding, it has to be much better than Kline in every which way (sound, weight, fitment, etc); otherwise, it's a non-starter
lowbee,

As it stands I don't have anything really useful to say just yet.
But ..................
You can count on me posting exactly what I think after I put the necessary miles on the V2.

Terry
Old 10-28-2023, 11:35 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Saturday morning guys,

Okay got some E-Mails with New tracking information.

Fed Ex tracking below for the V2 exhaust.
Even faster than I thought.

Also, I will be having my 2-year service done as well as the SOUL V2 exhaust.

So, the last time the BMC Performance Air Intake Filters were installed was back on.
July 15th 2022:

So, I placed an order with Flat 6 Motorsports for another set while Nick is doing the 2-year services.

I drop-off the GT4 on November 10th 2023 at 7:30 am.
Thankfully they have a loaner held for me so Nick can take all the time he needs to complete everything.

Everything seems to be going smooth so far,
Terry

Treemagnet (10-28-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 04:53 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Well the SOUL V2 "rear-valved-muffler" exhaust has just arrived.

Well the SOUL V2 "rear-valved-muffler" exhaust has just arrived.

It is to me and my opinion a HUGE-Freaking-Box !!!

Luckily a young Fed Ex guy was delivering it and asked me what's in the box, Sir ???

I said it's an exhaust system for my Porsche GT4 sitting in the garage.
He instantly said I love Porsche cars do you mind if I take a quick look at it with a Big-Ole-Smile on his face ???
I said maybe you could help an old guy out by actually bringing that Huge-Box inside in the formal living room.
He said No-Worries show me where to sit it down.
He did his thing and off to the garage we went.

He went crazy guys over the Racing-Yellow on the GT4 and the way it was designed on the inside.

I also have the BMC Air-Intake-Filters now also.

PON (Porsche of Nashville) will be November 10th 2023 to do the 2-Year Services plus the SOUL V2 and replace the current BMC filters with this New set.

More FUN times coming soon,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-31-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:47 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new system, but do we really have to wait two morrrrrrrreeee weeks?!!

ps. Save the other set of BMC’s and buy their cleaning kit, so you can swap them out for the next service - rinse and repeat. I literally just received my second set last week, and thats my game plan. DIY swap every 5K miles, or 1 year.
tigerhonaker (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 11:43 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new system, but do we really have to wait two morrrrrrrreeee weeks?!!

ps. Save the other set of BMC’s and buy their cleaning kit, so you can swap them out for the next service - rinse and repeat. I literally just received my second set last week, and thats my game plan. DIY swap every 5K miles, or 1 year.
BoxKing,

Well it is approximately 2-more weeks until I drop it off to Porsche of Nashville (PON).
Actually that's pretty darn quick as Nick (Shop Foreman) stays Booked-Up !!!
But ............
All my business has been done at PON and Nick has done all the Changes/Work on it.
So, I think they actually worked me in ................
I can say this regarding Nick and me waiting my turn for him.
He is beyond **** so it's well worth the wait.

I could have Nick just service the BMC intake-filters as you say.
But, for the cheap cost they are I decided to just have him replace with a New set and he can give the one's he removes to another Porsche owner.

I just got a call from John Gaydos yesterday evening and we chatted for awhile as usual and with that being said I am very much looking forward to this change.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-01-2023 at 11:44 AM.
BoxKing (11-01-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker