Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Oil Change 718 GT4-Spyder DIY with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 11:07 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
@Fractal-Spyder So after you’re all said and done, is it a pain to remove and install all three pieces, or not so bad?
If it’s a pain, would you consider a mod made to panel #1 so it’s easier to drop and access the filter and plug, vs. remove all three every time?
I’m fairly convinced a mod could be made, just not sure if it’s worth it.
Regarding your first question (panel removal difficulty): It depends on your setup. If you have a normal lift, then very very easy. Just need the right tools, powered or conventional. Depending on what you need. If I had to do this with some jacks and jack stands, I would never want to do this again. But if you enjoy this stuff, and don't mind crawling under, then I'd say yeah go for it (but the filter is difficult)

Regarding the mod. I started a thread about this, and after seeing where the filter was located, I gave up.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...il-change.html

I don't know what car you have, but at least for the Spyders & GT4s, that filter is a pain in the A$$. So whatever mod you're thinking of, it better be a mod that allows you to have both of your arms reach the filter. Otherwise, it will get very messy. What makes it difficult is that even with the panel off, you will have to use the extension. And because of the aluminum suspenstion member (or bracing, I'm not sure) is directly underneath it, it was tricky for me to get the extention to fit in that area. The extension will absolutley rub against the said aluminum suspension member / brace, what ever that is as you turn the filter housing.

I am not trying to discourage you. I've given a lot thoughts on this. I wanted to come up with something and share with the community, something that would work for those with a lift, and those without the lift. First idea was the drain plug mod. I think this is absolutey a good idea if you can do something really clean that doesn't affect the aero. The problem is the oil filter access. IMO, you can go about this in 2-3 ways. Perform a similar mod to the drain plug, but make it large enough to access the filter and change it out without making a huge mess. Second idea was to cut out a large section, and secure it with a 4 brackets and bolts. Thought about using HD velcro which would be cleaner, but with all that wind pasing thorugh, would probably fall off. The third idea was to use 2 hinges on one side, and brackets on the other, but this would only work if you have a lift, as the area has to be large, and if it's not lifted then it can't swing down.

I will say this. With or without the mod, for me, I would never attempt this again if I didn't have a proper lift. It's tight in there. But if you are the patient type and don't mind crawling under, definitely get yourself a powered ratchet. Standard drills will be very difficult to use.

I got the mod idea from my LC 500 convertible. Toyota definitely has the second easiest design here (M3 is the easiest since filter is accessible from the engine bay).

This is not at the level of coverage as you would see in a Porsche given the front engine setup, and heat dissipiation requirements. The drain plug & filters are covered by small panels which is easily removed with few screws. If you can create something like this, and have enough space for your arms to reach the filter area, it would be perfect. I hope these photos will give you some additional ideas. Here is how the LC 500 is setup.

This drain plug only has 2 screws to remove an aluminum plate covering it.

Filter area has another panel, with only 4 bolts. Very easy to access.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-14-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I don't think it is that bad, certainly not enough to cut holes in the panel... and on top of that I think that trying to fish the filter through a hole would be a PITA and oil draining from it and the pan will get all over that panel anyway.
Exactly! The filter is the problem. No way I would've been able to reach this If I didn't have a lift. I think the Porsche dealers understand this and knows that you'll pay whatever they ask
Old 01-14-2024, 11:33 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
Regarding your first question (panel removal difficulty): It depends on your setup. If you have a normal lift, then very very easy. Just need the right tools, powered or conventional. Depending on what you need. If I had to do this with some jacks and jack stands, I would never want to do this again. But if you enjoy this stuff, and don't mind crawling under, then I'd say yeah go for it (but the filter is difficult)

Regarding the mod. I started a thread about this, and after seeing where the filter was located, I gave up.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...il-change.html

I don't know what car you have, but at least for the Spyders & GT4s, that filter is a pain in the A$$. So whatever mod you're thinking of, it better be a mod that allows you to have both of your arms reach the filter. Otherwise, it will get very messy. What makes it difficult is that even with the panel off, you will have to use the extension. And because of the aluminum suspenstion member (or bracing, I'm not sure) is directly underneath it, it was tricky for me to get the extention to fit in that area. The extension will absolutley rub against the said aluminum suspension member / brace, what ever that is as you turn the filter housing.

I am not trying to discourage you. I've given a lot thoughts on this. I wanted to come up with something and share with the community, something that would work for those with a lift, and those without the lift. First idea was the drain plug mod. I think this is absolutey a good idea if you can do something really clean that doesn't affect the aero. The problem is the oil filter access. IMO, you can go about this in 2-3 ways. Perform a similar mod to the drain plug, but make it large enough to access the filter and change it out without making a huge mess. Second idea was to cut out a large section, and secure it with a 4 brackets and bolts. Thought about using HD velcro which would be cleaner, but with all that wind pasing thorugh, would probably fall off. The third idea was to use 2 hinges on one side, and brackets on the other, but this would only work if you have a lift, as the area has to be large, and if it's not lifted then it can't swing down.

I will say this. With or without the mod, for me, I would never attempt this again if I didn't have a proper lift. It's tight in there. But if you are the patient type and don't mind crawling under, definitely get yourself a powered ratchet. Standard drills will be very difficult to use.
Thanks for your reply and advice. I did see your original post on that other thread and thought about asking my question there.
If I make my mod, I will definitely post my solution there. The mod would allow just the money panel to be removed (it’s just an idea now).

Your lift is really sweet… I’d kill for that setup.
I’ll be jacking up with liftbars and using wheel crib's to get it off the floor… still involves crawling underneath on a creeper though.

I guess the only way I will know for sure is to just to do it myself on my next oil change.

The following users liked this post:
Fractal-Spyder (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Best way!
The following users liked this post:
SpeedySpidey (01-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil Change 718 GT4-Spyder DIY with pics