Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder / GTS underbody mod for easier oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024 | 09:17 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Default 718 Spyder / GTS underbody mod for easier oil change

I am about to attempt my first DIY oil change on my 718 Spyder. I was watching this video for the GT4, and pretty overwhelmed as to the amount of trouble you have to go through just to get to the oil drain plug. I do have a drive-on lift so access isn't an issue.

After watching this, I realize all this work is just go ge to the drain plug? My LC 500 has similar underbody work, but they have removable panels within the panel for quick access. Wondering why Porsche doesn't provide the access. I'm sure they could have made this easier without impacting the aero.

Does anyone know of any know aftermarket mod or replacement panels that allow easier access? Currently my Spyder is on the ground, so I can't look under it to confirm if this is feasible or not (cut and cover the area with bolts). Even if I succeed at this, then the second question is: Is the filter housing accessible without removin the panel?

Also, if anyone know which 'threaded' spill-proof oil funnel would fit the 718 Spyder, GTS, GT4, I would greatly appreciate it! Similar to something like this:

Amazon Amazon

According to the description, it also lists Audi and Porsche, but the funnel itself only has 'Toyota/Lexus' Wondering if anyone tried this and can confirm it will fit the Spyder.
Thanks!

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-05-2024 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alwaysdriving (01-08-2024)
Old 01-05-2024 | 03:06 PM
Paul S.
Pro

I don't know of any under body panels, that will give you access to the drain plug and in any case I'm not sure I could have gotten to the oil filter with the under body panel on (on the BGTS 4.0 there's only one underbody panel to remove).

Having changed the oil less than 2 weeks ago for the first time, in my (new to me) 2022 BGTS, I will say you don't need a special funnel--in an over abundance of caution, I removed the trim that goes around the oil cap/fill location and placed towels on the back wall and floor of the trunk, just in case I dripped some oil, and had my roll of blue shop paper towels with me. Then used a garden variety funnel (as I stink at pouring from those Mobil 1 quart bottles with spilling) to make it easier to pour the oil in without spilling. No drips, no spills, etc...I just have a paper towel in one hand, lift the funnel with the other while putting the paper towel under it when taking the funnel out of the trunk. Easy.

Also a tip--the videos talk about starting with 7 1/2 liters of oil, but if using the Mobil 1 C-40 spec, that's in quart bottles. I missed that nuance and started with 7 1/2 bottles (e.g., quarts) initially which didn't even hit the minimum mark on the oil gauge. When I drained, I have a 4 post lift and let mine sit overnight with the oil drain plug removed. When I went back the next day it was done dripping, no drips at all.

Mine took 8 1/2 quarts of oil and now sits above the minimum mark about 1/3 up from the minimum mark. I've always tried to practice the rule to leave good enough alone when working on my cars, so I'm leaving the oil level where it is. Not going to try and hit the full as possible mark. Next time I know, everything else being equal to put 8 quarts plus 1/4 of a quart and see where I am.

Also be careful with the plastic nuts--don't make them very tight as you can twist off the studs (don't ask me how I know).

I will say changing the oil and filter on my 997 PCA Club Coupe is way easier because of not having to remove any underbody panels, and the filter is right there, not tucked up high like the BGTS.

The following 3 users liked this post by Paul S.:
Fractal-Spyder (01-05-2024), MotoFanatic (01-05-2024), slilley (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024 | 07:03 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I don't know of any under body panels, that will give you access to the drain plug and in any case I'm not sure I could have gotten to the oil filter with the under body panel on (on the BGTS 4.0 there's only one underbody panel to remove).

Having changed the oil less than 2 weeks ago for the first time, in my (new to me) 2022 BGTS, I will say you don't need a special funnel--in an over abundance of caution, I removed the trim that goes around the oil cap/fill location and placed towels on the back wall and floor of the trunk, just in case I dripped some oil, and had my roll of blue shop paper towels with me. Then used a garden variety funnel (as I stink at pouring from those Mobil 1 quart bottles with spilling) to make it easier to pour the oil in without spilling. No drips, no spills, etc...I just have a paper towel in one hand, lift the funnel with the other while putting the paper towel under it when taking the funnel out of the trunk. Easy.

Also a tip--the videos talk about starting with 7 1/2 liters of oil, but if using the Mobil 1 C-40 spec, that's in quart bottles. I missed that nuance and started with 7 1/2 bottles (e.g., quarts) initially which didn't even hit the minimum mark on the oil gauge. When I drained, I have a 4 post lift and let mine sit overnight with the oil drain plug removed. When I went back the next day it was done dripping, no drips at all.

Mine took 8 1/2 quarts of oil and now sits above the minimum mark about 1/3 up from the minimum mark. I've always tried to practice the rule to leave good enough alone when working on my cars, so I'm leaving the oil level where it is. Not going to try and hit the full as possible mark. Next time I know, everything else being equal to put 8 quarts plus 1/4 of a quart and see where I am.

Also be careful with the plastic nuts--don't make them very tight as you can twist off the studs (don't ask me how I know).

I will say changing the oil and filter on my 997 PCA Club Coupe is way easier because of not having to remove any underbody panels, and the filter is right there, not tucked up high like the BGTS.
All great advice based on real experience. Sounds like you had a tough time there... Your pain is my gain in this case. I'll defintely keep your advice(s) in mind. Regarding the funnel, I'm not giving up on this just. It seems they sell the threaded funnels for Porsche & Audi, but they label it under Toyota & Lexus. I just ordered this for my LC 500, and I will try it out on the 718 Spyder. If it fits, I'll update here. Thanks!

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-05-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2024 | 11:14 PM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

The following link might be what you are looking for.

https://www.718forum.com/threads/oil...-access.22797/
Fractal-Spyder (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024 | 11:20 PM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul S.

I am glad you pointed that out as I didn’t realize Motul come in 1 liter bottles and Mobil 1 come in 1 quart bottles. I was wondering why it required so much more oil to reach the minimum bar when I changed the oil for the first time. lol
Fractal-Spyder (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 12:16 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by MotoFanatic
The following link might be what you are looking for.

https://www.718forum.com/threads/oil...-access.22797/
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for! I won't do this right away, but will definitely investigate further during the next oil change and come up with an elegant solution. Would hate to do anything to the part to impact the aero. Afterall, Porsche has painstakingly tested this panel in the wind tunnel. I need to also see if the oil filter can be accessed without further modification. If more mods are needed then it may not be worth it.

It needs to be done in a way where the cut out is re-attached with a hinge or something that is VERY low profile. Or possibly a very thin piece of aluminum held together with either a strong duct tape or even heavy duty velcro may do the trick. Will put up the Spyder on the parking lift tomorrow and see if the oil filter is visible without removing the panel. If it can be accessed without removing the panel, then drain plug mod should be very simple.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-06-2024 at 12:23 AM.
MotoFanatic (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 12:41 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

*** Update ***

I just loaded the Spyder on the parking lift and looked under it, and was able to find the oil filter. I can see it through the aluminum naca duct cut out through the panel. But the problem is, there is no direct straight access to the filter. You are at best attacking it diagonally. Which means, you can't spin it with the oil filter wrench. Even if you could, you'd make a ton of mess trying to get that filter out. So from that standpoint, panel mod would be useless unless you cutt additional 'larger' hole for the oil filter and your arm to get through. This sucks, but it is what it is. I thought I was onto something here, but it explains why no one has actually done this to the Spyder, GT4 / GTS. Some of the exmaple mods from the above links probably only refers to Boxsters which have different engines all together (except for the GTS of course).

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-06-2024 at 07:19 AM.
MotoFanatic (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 03:00 AM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

@Fractal-Spyder , wow, you do not waste time. lol I appreciate the update. It is unfortunate about the filter. I was going to have a look myself when I changed my oil next. I guess I do not have to keep my hopes up.
Old 01-06-2024 | 07:28 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by MotoFanatic
@Fractal-Spyder , wow, you do not waste time. lol I appreciate the update. It is unfortunate about the filter. I was going to have a look myself when I changed my oil next. I guess I do not have to keep my hopes up.

Exciement & curiousity. Had some free time, and the parking lift so...

Facebook Post
Old 01-06-2024 | 10:10 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Took a photo of the filter location from under the car. You can see the filter in this pic. No way you can access that with the panels in place. This photo was taken from a diagonal angle. For those who want to pursue the drain bolt access mod, I guess it would be an improvement since you'd only have to remove the diffuser and the middle panel to get to the filter. But at that point, cutting up the panel to avoid removing few more bolts for the final panel doesn't make any sense at all.

On a side note, it's always cool to see my titanium racing headers bluing nicely I have the full JCR system, and it sounds glorious! Racing headers, race-catted mid pipe, and valved / unsilenced pipes.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fractal-Spyder:
fasteddie99 (01-07-2024), MotoFanatic (01-07-2024), slilley (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 11:13 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
… I see how awesome it is to use a 1/2” electric impact gun to tighten fasteners with a spec of 1.8 ft-lbs.
Fractal-Spyder (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 11:45 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
… I see how awesome it is to use a 1/2” electric impact gun to tighten fasteners with a spec of 1.8 ft-lbs.
The video is useful to learn how to do it, but not 'what to do'
worf928 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-10-2024 | 02:00 AM
edub
Pro

The impact driver there has different modes - I use mine for the underbody trays. The lightest mode is light using a screwdriver, when it gets tight it stops turning.
Old 01-10-2024 | 10:55 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edub
The impact driver there has different modes - I use mine for the underbody trays. The lightest mode is light using a screwdriver, when it gets tight it stops turning.
How tight?
Old 01-10-2024 | 02:30 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

These are great for oil changes

https://www.ryobitools.com/search?ry...=USB%20Lithium

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder / GTS underbody mod for easier oil change