Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Headlight Discussion LED vs Bi-xenon

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 07:55 PM
Finmac
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Headlight Discussion LED vs Bi-xenon

Need to spec up my new car and was looking for some advice re what the standard lights were like and whether it’s worth spending the extra on the BiZenon upgrade please?
Old 07-28-2020, 11:07 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Finmac
Need to spec up my new car and was looking for some advice re what the standard lights were like and whether it’s worth spending the extra on the BiZenon upgrade please?
No personal experience on a 718 GT4/Spyder but a friend recently drove both a 718 GT4 and Spyder for several days and reported that the standard "gas" headlights are underwhelming. He recommends LEDs.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 07-28-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Will you be driving in the dark much? I've had the Xenon's on my last 2 cars and like them, they swivel in the corners and do have the 4 point day time running lights, neither of which are on the standard lights. Going with LEDs this time as the upgrade to Xenon's is most of the cost anyway and the LED's are only a few bucks more at that point, plus I like the look of them on the car when not lit up. I think the LED's might also have some additional features like staggered dimming but that probably doesn't work in the US anyway. End result is I think the higher the spec the better the light but the base ones will certainly get you home in the dark just fine. My preference is more to do with DRL layout and corner rotation. If however this will be a track toy and driven little in the dark the base light will be fine, save you some $'s and you won't get too upset if the lenses get stone chipped or worse.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:40 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Base headlights are 25watt's, upgraded are 35watts. I upgraded my lights with new ballast and bulbs to the 35watt.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:05 AM
Finmac
Intermediate

Thanks guys I Stay in the country so plenty night time driving. Are the LEDs brighter than the Xenons? Car wont be tracked.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Check out this thread, should provide an answer for you, I think it boils down to if you think the extra $600 is of value to you as likely both will do the job just fine. But sounds like you should consider the xenon's at a minimum if you are out in the boonies.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...pros-cons.html

Old 07-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Finmac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Buckett76
Check out this thread, should provide an answer for you, I think it boils down to if you think the extra $600 is of value to you as likely both will do the job just fine. But sounds like you should consider the xenon's at a minimum if you are out in the boonies.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...pros-cons.html
thats great thanks. Definitely getting the Xenons, now to decide if it’s worth the extra for LED or not?!
Old 07-29-2020, 02:02 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

FWIW, I take my 981 GT4 w/upgraded HIDs w/PDLS to work every now and then, pre-dawn, and "I feel" they are significantly dimmer than the LEDs on the Macans I've driven as loaners. Different housings/lights etc. than GT4 I'm sure, but I just replaced my MK6 Jetta's halogens with aftermarket LED bulbs, and I'd rather drive the Jetta at night than the GT4.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:08 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

This is confusing. According to Porsche, the standard headlights are: "Bi-Xenon™ headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights".

Are we saying that these are less bright than the optional: "Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)"?

The descriptions on the configurator say nothing about the wattage.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 07-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:03 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
This is confusing. According to Porsche, the standard headlights are: "Bi-Xenon™ headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights".

Are we saying that these are less bright than the optional: "Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)"?

The descriptions on the configurator say nothing about the wattage.

God bless,
TT

The "PDLS" upgrade gives you "Bi-Xenons which move".

The "LED" upgrade gives you full LED bulbs throughout the headlight assembly.

Bottom line is if you want more light output, get the LEDs...the difference is visible and measurable. How much that matters or is worth to you, is a decision one must make on their own. Because my eyes are no where near what they used to be, and I like to see as much as possible in the dark, LEDs would be my first "must have".

Not an exact representation, but it gives an idea:

The following 2 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
liudacris (07-16-2023), Translog (05-07-2022)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:09 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
The "PDLS" upgrade gives you "Bi-Xenons which move".

The "LED" upgrade gives you full LED bulbs throughout the headlight assembly.

Bottom line is if you want more light output, get the LEDs...the difference is visible and measurable. How much that matters or is worth to you, is a decision one must make on their own. Because my eyes are no where near what they used to be, and I like to see as much as possible in the dark, LEDs would be my first "must have".

Not an exact representation, but it gives an idea:

https://youtu.be/Bqv9GdiFQUg
Yes, thanks, got that. But what I'm curious about is whether the standard Bi-Xenons are really and truly less powerful than the optional Bi-Xenons with the PDLS?

God bless,
TT
Old 07-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Yes, thanks, got that. But what I'm curious about is whether the standard Bi-Xenons are really and truly less powerful than the optional Bi-Xenons with the PDLS?

God bless,
TT
Stock lights are 25watts bi-xenon's. With daytime running light as LED. The PDLS lights upgrade to the moving light and 35 watt bulbs. The PDLS also come with the headlight washers. The standard lights do no have headlight washers. Both types are bi-xenon. The stock light is a single daytime running light and the pdls lights are the 4 point led daytime running lights.

Last edited by Todd B; 07-30-2020 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The_West (09-08-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 11:02 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd B
Stock lights are 25watts bi-xenon's. With daytime running light as LED. The PDLS lights upgrade to the moving light and 35 watt bulbs. The PDLS also come with the headlight washers. The standard lights do no have headlight washers. Both types are bi-xenon. The stock light is a single daytime running light and the pals lights are the 4 point led daytime running lights.
Thanks, Todd!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-30-2020, 09:21 AM
Laptime
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Standard headlights- MEH!

Just drove my 718 GT4 for the first time at night.
The standard Xenon headlights are adequate but certainly not impressive. For what it's worth, my wife's 2014 Ford Escape has far better headlights!
Since I don't plan much night driving in the GT4, I'm ok with what I have and still would not have sprung for the LED headlights.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

I got the LED headlights on my GT4. I like the way they look when off, like their 4-point day running lights, has been measured to be 50% brighter than xenons (although high beams is the same for legal reasons), but supposedly weight more than Xenons (although not significantly). Have LEDs on my wife's Macan GTS first and loved them so it was an easy decision for me on my GT4.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Headlight Discussion LED vs Bi-xenon