Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Headlight Discussion LED vs Bi-xenon

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 661 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by skafia
Cost wise, Xenon would be cheaper to replace if the light goes out. I can’t imagine what the price of an LED headlight is.
However, the lifetime of a LED bulb is significantly longer. Best I could find online is a xenon bulb has about 2000 hours lifetime while an LED bulb is between 15000 to 50000.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
minn19 (12-26-2020), pkalhan (01-17-2022)
Old 12-26-2020, 10:53 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Racin

718 with bi-xenon has been acquired I wanted the leds but... you get what you get.
Nice pair of GT cars, and brilliant driveway! I have a stone patio like that, but yours is the first driveway I have seen in flagstone!

Sorry, back on topic I got the standard lights with no nipples. Don't really like the chrome housing, wish is was darker like on my 981 GT4. LEDs next time.

Last edited by electron mike; 12-26-2020 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Road Racin (12-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:00 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
I really like the look of both PDLS and PDLS+ headlights, but chose to go poverty-spec because I dislike the headlight washers more than I needed the upgrade.

I've always done just fine with the standard Bi-Xenon headlights. Even in dimly lit areas, I've never experienced any visibility issues.

For those with the standard Bi-Xenon lights that want the higher output of the upgraded lights, but without the need for the swivel around corner feature, there's a pretty straightforward process to upgrading the ballast and bulbs without needing surgery, or removal of bumper or coding:

https://www.718forum.com/threads/for...-to-35w.17204/
I had the base headlights in my base Boxster. My Macan has the PDLS+. I won’t get anything less than PDLS in the future. If you don’t drive much at night, it’s no big deal. The first time I drove the Boxster at night in the woods with no background lights around, I thought I was driving a 1970 Trabant....with one headlight. It’s not that bad of course, but after that I almost never drove the Boxster at night without high beams on all the time.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I had the base headlights in my base Boxster. My Macan has the PDLS+. I won’t get anything less than PDLS in the future. If you don’t drive much at night, it’s no big deal. The first time I drove the Boxster at night in the woods with no background lights around, I thought I was driving a 1970 Trabant....with one headlight. It’s not that bad of course, but after that I almost never drove the Boxster at night without high beams on all the time.
Agreed, if you NEVER drive at night headlights are never an issue, but if you do and have experienced PDLS or even more with PDLS+ you understand immediately what you are missing!
Old 12-26-2020, 02:36 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

A lot of over exaggeration in this thread. The base xenons are perfectly fine for night driving. 90%+ of the cars on the road have more inferior headlights and the general public is doing just fine.

I think Porsche failed with the upgraded headlights by putting the washer nozzles on the bumper. I prefer the clean, slick, nipple-less look.
The following 2 users liked this post by beemerb0y:
pkalhan (01-18-2022), Zhao (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beemerb0y
A lot of over exaggeration in this thread.
Your opinion...

The base xenons are perfectly fine for night driving. 90%+ of the cars on the road have more inferior headlights and the general public is doing just fine.
Your opinion again... so we should all settle for less I suppose, just run with the heard?

I think Porsche failed with the upgraded headlights by putting the washer nozzles on the bumper. I prefer the clean, slick, nipple-less look.
AFAIK you are wrong here, IIRC in Europe the headlight washers are required by law once a certain light output is exceeded...
JustChris (01-08-2021)
Old 12-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
However, the lifetime of a LED bulb is significantly longer. Best I could find online is a xenon bulb has about 2000 hours lifetime while an LED bulb is between 15000 to 50000.
That's one part of it but there is a bit more to it.

The big reason to care about how long they last is to save money. Both will likely last the life of vehicle, but the LED housings fail not for the bulbs themselves, but for the components in the housing. Every time I see a LED tail light fail it's not the individual lights, but the entire unit that goes down. Never seen a LED bulb fail in a headlamp but I see stuff like the DRL strip flicker or fail, or the whole unit just crap out. It is pretty rare, but it does happen.

Your average LED tail light assembly is about $1000, and front headlamp assemblies range between $2000 and $7000 each. LED lamp assemblies are sealed units, so if your DRL strip fails you or there is a fault in your tail light board, you don't replace the specific component/bulb, you replace the entire housing. So 9/10 or 19/20 (or whatever the number actually is) save money, but one guy gets absolutely screwed with a bill of thousands when it could have been a few hundred (HIDs) or 5 dollars (halogens).

It's possible this results in saving money on average, but I doubt it as manufacturers have been very good at skyrocketing the average repair cost of vehicles in the last decade to far out pace inflation (I do have insurance stats for that).
DFW01TT (12-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 03:15 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
AFAIK you are wrong here, IIRC in Europe the headlight washers are required by law once a certain light output is exceeded...
I could be wrong here to, but I thought it also had something to do with them not getting as hot as halogens. So you need the washers to help clear snow/ice also.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,022 Likes on 5,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
That's one part of it but there is a bit more to it.

The big reason to care about how long they last is to save money. Both will likely last the life of vehicle, but the LED housings fail not for the bulbs themselves, but for the components in the housing. Every time I see a LED tail light fail it's not the individual lights, but the entire unit that goes down. Never seen a LED bulb fail in a headlamp but I see stuff like the DRL strip flicker or fail, or the whole unit just crap out. It is pretty rare, but it does happen.

Your average LED tail light assembly is about $1000, and front headlamp assemblies range between $2000 and $7000 each. LED lamp assemblies are sealed units, so if your DRL strip fails you or there is a fault in your tail light board, you don't replace the specific component/bulb, you replace the entire housing. So 9/10 or 19/20 (or whatever the number actually is) save money, but one guy gets absolutely screwed with a bill of thousands when it could have been a few hundred (HIDs) or 5 dollars (halogens).

It's possible this results in saving money on average, but I doubt it as manufacturers have been very good at skyrocketing the average repair cost of vehicles in the last decade to far out pace inflation (I do have insurance stats for that).
Do you have stats for how often Porsche headlight housings (either LED, Bi-Xenon, Halogens, or whatever) actually fail outside of OEM warranty period?

If the housings fail during OEM warranty period, who cares.

Outside, it might be an issue. But what's the failure rate after 4 years (or 50k miles) of ownership? Because to me that's the only relevant metric in terms of cost of replacement, otherwise, who cares.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:18 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,499 Likes on 2,253 Posts

I watched this video a few times when I was looking at this option. I like the more complex look of the LED’s, and the wider spacing DRL’s. The washer nipples don’t bother me, and my reading indicated that they’d be the best available at night for this model. So it was one of the few options I chose.

The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
DFW01TT (12-27-2020), minn19 (12-26-2020), tigerhonaker (12-28-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 03:26 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I watched this video a few times when I was looking at this option. I like the more complex look of the LED’s, and the wider spacing DRL’s. The washer nipples don’t bother me, and my reading indicated that they’d be the best available at night for this model. So it was one of the few options I chose.

https://youtu.be/WQXcnawVaek
I have nothing to back this up with, but I like that the DRLs are more distinctive over the usual ones we see everyday. In my mind at least it helps people see them better than the more “common” looking ones.
tigerhonaker (12-29-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
^ well, interesting take. I can't say I agree with all of it, but I do agree the US needs to change their laws to at least try and keep pace with tech. I first heard of true adaptive lights something like 10 years ago from bmw. My BMW even has them apparently (including the button for them), but they're disabled for North America (always wondered if I could find someone to enable them). No idea why that isn't legal yet as it seems like it solves a big problem with bright headlights.
On a BMW, the full capability of the adaptive headlights can be activated via coding changes and there are a number of other things that can be improved through coding as well (ie remove the auto-start stop). If you dont know how to do it, there are a number of people who you can pay to do it for you - you can find them on bimmerpost or just google them.

My sense is that coding a P car is not as easy and I am not sure why.
Zhao (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 04:47 PM
badprognosis
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Heavier, perhaps but by how much? As for new and better technology, that is always going to be the case, heck the 911 has the Matrix LED PDLS+, you can wait for ever or opt for the 'best available' now...
Hey WC,

From your comment are you implying that the Spyder PDLS+ in Canada does not have the active matrix variable high beam dimming? The Spyder configurator describes the LED PDLS+ with the more crude high beam assistant but doesn't mention the active matrix functionality. As you indicated the 911 configurator calls it LED-Matrix PDLS+ and indirectly acknowledges the presence of active dimming by saying it is not available in the US. My SA says what we get in Canada is different than what is spec'd in the US meaning active matrix but I'm not confident that he has the most accurate information regarding the Spyder/GTS 4.0. Might as well get the answer from someone who has the PDLS+.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badprognosis
Hey WC,

From your comment are you implying that the Spyder PDLS+ in Canada does not have the active matrix variable high beam dimming? The Spyder configurator describes the LED PDLS+ with the more crude high beam assistant but doesn't mention the active matrix functionality. As you indicated the 911 configurator calls it LED-Matrix PDLS+ and indirectly acknowledges the presence of active dimming by saying it is not available in the US. My SA says what we get in Canada is different than what is spec'd in the US meaning active matrix but I'm not confident that he has the most accurate information regarding the Spyder/GTS 4.0. Might as well get the answer from someone who has the PDLS+.
That is correct the LED PDLS+ on the GT4/Spyder is not an active matrix system, but rather just a LED light source as opposed to HID or Halogen. As far as I know the beam shaping active matrix system is available on certain 911's and other models like the Taycan and Panamera, just not the 718 family at this time.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:39 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Do you have stats for how often Porsche headlight housings (either LED, Bi-Xenon, Halogens, or whatever) actually fail outside of OEM warranty period?

If the housings fail during OEM warranty period, who cares.

Outside, it might be an issue. But what's the failure rate after 4 years (or 50k miles) of ownership? Because to me that's the only relevant metric in terms of cost of replacement, otherwise, who cares.
TLDL: it's probably a non issue unless you plan to keep the car forever or you are on a super tight budget (probably aren't buying LEDs on a Porsche then anyway).

Unfortunately no. Insurance tracks and shares data on a lot of stuff but I don't see manufacturer or model specific stats that detailed, and only Porsche would track that specific metric. I know rough numbers on my shop's stats though (we fix about 2000 cars a year, average age of vehicle is 4.3 years old, average repairable insurance claim as of last month was about $4300 dollars, so I have a large enough pool of data for what our shop sees for failure rates to get a picture)

What I usually see (collision side of things, collision shops take on the warranty for anything to do with the accident after) the failure rate of a housing is likely to happen very quickly if it's going to fail. Most of the times it's going to be within a month or 2 of it being replaced, and more commonly right out of the box from the manufacturer. I rarely see anything fail after that time period, and if I do it's almost always a tail light.

IMO that's good news, as that tells me if there are problems with quality control they become apparent very early while it still has a warranty. It might even be better still as my theory is all manufacturers dump their rejected assembly line parts on the replacement part market. The stats are probably no worse than 1/50 that fail in that 2 month period, which sounds bad but is actually pretty good because most are DOA. If it makes it past 2 months I'd ballpark the failure rate is around 1/200-1/400 in the next couple years (and remember most of these are LED tail lights for what I see fail in this period). The downside is the tech is still too new to know what the failure rate will be going far into the future when cars are 10-20+ years old. The other downside is in Canada the collision warranty is only active as long as the customer owns the vehicle and most people do not keep their car very long so after a few years I couldn't guess accurately what happens. So there potentially is a good number of vehicles that have had failures years after replacement but I never hear of because they're in the hands of new owners. However, I'd say this is probably a non-issue (if almost nothing fails in 1-3 years it probably isn't going to fail in 4 or 6 or 8 years from a defect).

From a pure dollar perspective the only thing that would keep me from getting LEDs is if I planned to keep the vehicle forever, just because odds are good they will fail someday and if you're dealing with a guaranteed failure it's better to spend 200-400 for some HIDs at most a couple times over 20 years vs $5000 for a housing that now doesn't match the other side of the vehicle and makes it look like your car has an accident history. If I planned to keep it <10 years I personally think the risk of failure outside of warranty in that time period is so minor I wouldn't even factor it in. If someone is on a tight budget and can't absorb a random 5g hit though, prob best to skip them and get HIDs.

Last edited by Zhao; 12-26-2020 at 05:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
DFW01TT (12-27-2020), unclemat (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Headlight Discussion LED vs Bi-xenon