Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dummy GPF Delete OAP DIY “Big Genitalia Mod”

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022 | 01:53 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So that they sound the same, those pesky You Tube Reviewers don't need anything else to talk down about...

Actually IIRC, it was to make the design and manufacture of the rear muffler section consistent across all markets.
As equally as important as sound and muffler design would be a standard ecm tune based on system flow.

From a manufacturing standpoint build it to the toughest standard in one configuration is easiest, rather than build to each nation/region.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022 | 01:55 PM
Nick_CT
Advanced

So that they sound the same, those pesky You Tube Reviewers don't need anything else to talk down about...

Actually IIRC, it was to make the design and manufacture of the rear muffler section consistent across all markets.
I've heard both Euro spec and 'USA' spec in person, the Euro one is very toned down comparatively.
Avera (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022 | 02:33 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
As equally as important as sound and muffler design would be a standard ecm tune based on system flow.

From a manufacturing standpoint build it to the toughest standard in one configuration is easiest, rather than build to each nation/region.
This makes sense . . . but now I am perplexed by this whole E.U. vs U.S. sound difference 'thing.' Given the explanations provided, I cannot imagine how a 'coating' over the ceramic/fiberglass could possible alter/muffle exhaust acoustics?
Avera
Old 11-04-2022 | 02:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
This makes sense . . . but now I am perplexed by this whole E.U. vs U.S. sound difference 'thing.' Given the explanations provided, I cannot imagine how a 'coating' over the ceramic/fiberglass could possible alter/muffle exhaust acoustics?
Avera
The coating doesn't change the sound, the comment regarding sound was that both the EU and NA GPF pipes have the same ceramic matrix and therefore sound characteristics.
Old 11-04-2022 | 03:07 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

The coating doesn't change the sound, the comment regarding sound was that both the EU and NA GPF pipes have the same ceramic matrix and therefore sound characteristics.
@Westcoast

Yep, I am onboard with what you and @TXshaggy have shared . . . based on what you have each shared, it makes perfect sense to me that the EU and NA exhausts would sound exactly the same.

The part I find perplexing . . . how this notion that EU vehicles sound 'quieter' or 'muted' because of the GPF has not only been propagated, but is ubiquitous throughout Porsche and BMW forums, YT, etc???

Avera
Old 11-04-2022 | 04:54 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

I think it’s great that people are still doing this.

Little update, I helped a new friend swap his Akra OAPs for my gutted OAPs last week (AutoX issue, tho still not 100% legal) and we both concluded there was no audible sound difference to our ears.

The following 4 users liked this post by DC021:
Avera (11-04-2022), Bearrun21 (01-13-2023), toy4speed (11-04-2022), UncleDude (12-15-2022)
Old 11-04-2022 | 05:39 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Done with mine, took about 4hrs. Helper came in handy to help line them back up when putting them back on. I dropped the center diffuser, used a hockey puck on the brace and lifted the rear, removed tires, removed filters. Had a stud on the header side on each side of the car come out with the nut, just screwed it back in when re-assemble. Test drove it, went up to 6k since I am still breaking it in. I have the valve controller and with the valves closed, no difference between stock and gutted. Valves open it is about .5 times louder, not 2 times louder more like 1.5 times. I didn't hear any drone. Didn't change the tone, just more volume which is as expected. It is far from being too loud, I was worried because I am not in the market for a screaming exhaust. Downshifts with auto blip are so much better now. I am keeping this car for a very long time so I dont care about returning to stock so if that is the case I would recommend this mod, it was worth the time and effort. Had the car a week, wish I have done it sooner and was pissed that I had to do this mod because it should sound like this from Porsche. Sad days.

Avera (11-04-2022)
Old 12-15-2022 | 08:13 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

I have a set of gutted OAPs for sale for anyone who wants to keep theirs in tact. PM me!

TechnicianNick (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 01:23 PM
TechnicianNick
2nd Gear

Would love to see some more dyno work done with this mod. Such as:

-Stock OPF, versus gutted OPF, versus Akra (or similar) OPF

-Then, same as above, but with a Cobb or similar tuner.

Would certainly take some work, but would be priceless info!
Old 01-13-2023 | 01:31 PM
TechnicianNick
2nd Gear

Another thought about the dyno previously done:

- Could tying open the PSE permanently be causing a loss in torque in the low to mid-range? I know it is normally closed at lower RPM, hence the reason people tie them open to gain more sound, and maybe it is done to improve backpressure/torque? Just a thought...
Old 06-02-2023 | 02:01 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TechnicianNick
Would love to see some more dyno work done with this mod. Such as:

-Stock OPF, versus gutted OPF, versus Akra (or similar) OPF

-Then, same as above, but with a Cobb or similar tuner.

Would certainly take some work, but would be priceless info!
thanks for volunteering yourself!
Old 02-16-2024 | 07:51 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thought I’d bump this thread.

Traded-in my Spyder for my inbound RS.

Left the Soul OAPs on; so have a stock pair of OEM OAPs laying around.

If anyone interested PM me and we can work something out.

Came off the car after 2 months 1000 miles.

Old 02-16-2024 | 08:04 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here is the cross post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1398125

Price completely negotiable.

Quick Reply: Dummy GPF Delete OAP DIY “Big Genitalia Mod”