Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Interior rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
Question Interior rattles?

Hi folks,

Long time lurker from Ireland here (can't believe I first joined here in 2007!)

I've just picked up a delivery miles white 718 GT4 and am absolutely smitten, what a car it is! I've had quite a few Porsche over the years and it is by far my favorite.

The car has a couple of rattles at different speeds and road surfaces and was wondering if any other owners have experienced the same? I appreciate it's never going to be a quiet car but at the same time I didn't expect rattles from a new car.

One seems to be coming from the passenger airbag area (RHD btw) and the other from the passenger rear engine cover area.

Any help would me much appreciated, as I have spoken to the dealer and have to call in next time I'm passing but I don't really want my car being ripped apart if it can be avoided.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited by JOSCAL; 10-22-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:49 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by JOSCAL
Hi folks,

Long time lurker from Ireland here (can't believe I first joined here in 2007!)

I've just picked up a delivery miles white 718 GT4 and am absolutely smitten, what a car it is! I've had quite a few Porsche over the years and it is by far my favorite.

The car has a couple of rattles at different speeds and road surfaces and was wondering if any other owners have experienced the same? I appreciate it's never going to be a quiet car but at the same time I didn't expect rattles from a new car.

One seems to be coming from the passenger airbag area (RHD btw) and the other from the passenger rear engine cover area.

Any help would me much appreciated, as I have spoken to the dealer and have to call in next time I'm passing but I don't really want my car being ripped apart if it can be avoided.

Cheers in advance.
This goes for any 718, but here's what to investigate first:
  • Passenger seatbelt - if it's freely hanging around, it can rattle off the B pillar column. My solution has just been to buckle it when nobody is in the seat (it works as a good "cargo net" like this )
  • Rear hatch cargo cover - there are 2 screws that hold this in, make sure they are tightened all the way. If they are tightened, then the cover itself can move a little bit and it may be this
  • Rear fluid caps (both big cap, and inner cap) - make sure these are tight (but not too tight or you can break them)
Any one of those 3 have been a "rattle" for me before while driving and are easily fixed by hand. If it's not those - then it may be something harder to detect

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 10-22-2020 at 08:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by iliveoncaffiene:
alwaysdriving (06-16-2024), Cornasplz (06-28-2021), minn19 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Excellent thanks very much. I'll take a look at these areas.

Appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:19 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts
Talking

Excellent thanks very much. I'll take a look at these areas.

Appreciate it.
Second post today, that's a record for you isn't it?
Old 10-22-2020, 12:50 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Second post today, that's a record for you isn't it?
Haha! It most certainly is!

I'm off to lie down in a darkened room for a bit😉
The following 3 users liked this post by JOSCAL:
Dan Nagy (11-05-2021), DFW01TT (10-22-2020), SpeedySpidey (12-06-2021)
Old 10-23-2020, 06:47 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

As above..Passenger Seat Belt the biggest culprit. I removed the rear hatch cover, it unscrews.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:29 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 150 Posts

I have a rattling I can't figure out. It's when driving and acceleration, I notice is most between 30-50mph. It seems to be coming from the passenger area but near where the engine would be. Subtle but definitely noticeable with the stereo off. Any thoughts? I will check the check list thank you I love caffeine
The following users liked this post:
998R (10-28-2021)
Old 10-26-2020, 05:01 AM
Al_Ra
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 15 Posts

OP - the three main culprits mentioned by iliveoncaffeine are "normal" and easily DIY'ed - e.g. always ensure passenger seatbelt buckle is held at the top. But I had terrible dash rattle on my new GTS 4.0. It was coming from under the sports chronograph - applying pressure on it would make it stop. Took 3 visits to my OPC to get it rectified - the last one required some escalation to the centre manager - but it is now totally fixed.

The 718 cabin is an echo-chamber and makes it really hard to identify the source. My advice: be patient, be polite but be persistent with your dealer. Self-diagnosis of a bad rattle will send you mad and detract from your enjoyment of your car and it's not something you should have to deal with. Get the dealer to sort it.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:00 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Thumbs up

Thank all, I tried the 'DIY' ones yesterday and alas the rattle around the airbag area is still there so I'm going to call into the dealer at some stage (although it could be from anywhere as Al_Ra says!)

I'm sure the terrible standard of the roads over here doesn't help.

Enjoy in good health folks.

Last edited by JOSCAL; 10-26-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:04 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Thank all, I tried the 'DIY' ones yesterday and alas the rattle around the airbag area is still there so I'm going to call into the dealer at some stage (although it could be from anywhere as Al_Ra says!)

I'm sure the terrible standard of the roads over here doesn't help.

Enjoy in good health folks.
The last one I had in my 718 would only appear when it was cold, and came from around the key area. I think the headlight **** and/or key plastic was a little loose when it was cold and I found that if I could press on it, it would go away.
If it's from the passenger side, the only "loose" thing I could point to there is something in the cubby, glovebox, or something loose in the flimsy cupholders.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2020, 07:15 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

Just wrap this around your seatbelt and that rattle is a done deal forever!

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-30-2020, 07:21 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

This can also be used between panels that might squeak. The manufacturers use this to rap their wiring harnesses so that they don't rattle against the chassis or plastic panels. This can also be placed on the rear hatch glass just underneath where the plastic panels sometimes rub on the glass. Most of it can be put underneath the plastic panel, while the part that is exposed will be somewhat hidden by the black color already on the glass.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by lovetoturn; 10-30-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:16 AM
DerekHK
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
This goes for any 718, but here's what to investigate first:
  • Passenger seatbelt - if it's freely hanging around, it can rattle off the B pillar column. My solution has just been to buckle it when nobody is in the seat (it works as a good "cargo net" like this )
  • Rear hatch cargo cover - there are 2 screws that hold this in, make sure they are tightened all the way. If they are tightened, then the cover itself can move a little bit and it may be this
  • Rear fluid caps (both big cap, and inner cap) - make sure these are tight (but not too tight or you can break them)
Any one of those 3 have been a "rattle" for me before while driving and are easily fixed by hand. If it's not those - then it may be something harder to detect
This advice was a big help! Thanks!
Old 11-03-2021, 03:52 AM
DerekHK
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

** 718 Cayman Rattle & Squeak GUIDE ** | Porsche 718 Forum

Think this might help.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:18 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_Ra
OP - the three main culprits mentioned by iliveoncaffeine are "normal" and easily DIY'ed - e.g. always ensure passenger seatbelt buckle is held at the top. But I had terrible dash rattle on my new GTS 4.0. It was coming from under the sports chronograph - applying pressure on it would make it stop. Took 3 visits to my OPC to get it rectified - the last one required some escalation to the centre manager - but it is now totally fixed.

The 718 cabin is an echo-chamber and makes it really hard to identify the source. My advice: be patient, be polite but be persistent with your dealer. Self-diagnosis of a bad rattle will send you mad and detract from your enjoyment of your car and it's not something you should have to deal with. Get the dealer to sort it.
A rattle under my sports chronograph just started. I figured it was a loose wire or cable in the frunk just ahead of the base windshield. Maybe it’s what you diagnosed. It’s a knocking noise when I go over rough pavement or big road seams/bumps. Haven’t really pin pointed it yet, it something is loose. Thought it was camber plates at first.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles?