Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Interior rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 02:56 AM
Parki
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
I had a bad rattle that was the piece of plastic trim that covers the seatbelt aperture. There are these silly little plastic sleeves that index in the structural member which the trim loosely slots into and those were rattling around when my car was only 1 week old. Popped the piece of trim off and packed the bits in with some silicon tape and it worked.
I have a rattle at the exact same spot. Seatbelt aperture next to the side window on the drivers seat. If I push the plastic the rattle is gone. Is this easy to pop off?
Old 12-30-2021, 01:40 PM
Gugalil
8th Gear

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

With about 2000 miles, I started noticing an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side of my GT4, above my left shoulder, near the headrest, somewhere between the anti roll bar and the back of the seat. Quite loud and was present even on reasonably smooth surfaces driving above 60mph. I knew the dealership would have problems locating it so I recorded a video with the rattling noise clearly present but still took them 3 weeks to identify it and they said they had to drive it for many miles to reproduce it so not sure I needed to record it myself. They said it was an issue with the inner part of the interior trim in that area. I picked it up and indeed the rattling in that area disappeared, except that now the same rattling noise comes from somewhere in the passenger door. FML.

Last edited by Gugalil; 01-09-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:23 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 109 Posts

Anyone figure out what’s causing the rattle under the sports chrono? From reading some of the above comments seems like this may be a common one. Occurring on my BGTS 4.0
Old 03-09-2022, 11:37 PM
Litt
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Anyone figure out what’s causing the rattle under the sports chrono? From reading some of the above comments seems like this may be a common one. Occurring on my BGTS 4.0
It is still present in mine. I have noticed it doesn’t do it in very cold temps (less than 30 degrees F) and only does it when going slow (probably less than 35 MPH) and doesn’t take hardly any bumps for the noise to trigger (sometimes just backing out of the garage it does it). I have an appointment with dealer for yearly maintenance next week and planning on bringing it up to see if they can diagnose. I am wondering if it’s where the windshield and dash meet.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:23 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I had some noise in my hatch area. Dealer gave me three thicknesses of foam tape to try (at my request, it was raining the day I took it in so they couldn’t diagnose). I played around with the adjustable hatch feet (screw in and out) and put thin foam strips on the wedges mid hatch - perfect fix!
I need more details on this one. I hear a creaking sound that sounds like the hatch rattling as the chassis flexes, which surprises me since I expect the car to be rigid.

I finally noticed the passenger seat belt was another rattle and raised the buckle up to stop it from banging when not in use.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:58 AM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

There is no way to save threads on this forum, is there?
Old 03-10-2022, 11:39 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Litt
It is still present in mine. I have noticed it doesn’t do it in very cold temps (less than 30 degrees F) and only does it when going slow (probably less than 35 MPH) and doesn’t take hardly any bumps for the noise to trigger (sometimes just backing out of the garage it does it). I have an appointment with dealer for yearly maintenance next week and planning on bringing it up to see if they can diagnose. I am wondering if it’s where the windshield and dash meet.
My eyes are drawn to the SC when I here a very faint rattle... subscribed!
Old 03-10-2022, 01:54 PM
CTDiesel
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I need more details on this one. I hear a creaking sound that sounds like the hatch rattling as the chassis flexes, which surprises me since I expect the car to be rigid.

I finally noticed the passenger seat belt was another rattle and raised the buckle up to stop it from banging when not in use.
I also have the hatch rattle/squeak. Would love more detail on how to fix it. I also have a vibration buzz occasionally coming from either the driver's side window or the top of the door panel in front of the door-pull. Anyone with that one?
Old 03-10-2022, 02:07 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasputin.
There is no way to save threads on this forum, is there?
Bookmark the page? Subscribing is also an option but a bit of a pain.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:39 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I'm really surprised that these cars have squeaks and rattles. I mean, c'mon, isn't that part of the allure of spending this kind of money for a "premium" brand designed and built with German know-how?

I can't tell you how many conversations I've been part of where cars like my GT350 come up vs Porsche, and the overwhelming consensus is:
1) There's no denying how incredible the performance is on the GT350 on the track,
and/but
2) It looks/feels cheap inside, so buy a Porsche to go upscale.

Well, there are no body panel squeaks in my Mustang. Sure, alignment and fitment is ****, but the body parts don't rattle. lol Yes, that flat plane crank Voodoo engine vibrates the hell out of stuff like the shifter, but that's to be expected. What I wasn't expecting was for my Cayman's hatch to squeak more then my 1981 Celica GT (which did not squeak at all, for the record).
Old 03-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Al_Ra
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 15 Posts

As above, I had this: a buzzing/rattling vibration from the sports chrono that sounded like a Geiger counter (sp?). Took three trips to dealer to fix (lots of anti-rattle felt tape) but now several thousand miles later it is definitely gone.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:31 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam

get some sticky foam tape, and put some on the wedge shaped closer bumpers mid hatch. Just try that first, then adjust bumpers (screw feet) if needed. I'll take a picture later if you need one.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:25 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
get some sticky foam tape, and put some on the wedge shaped closer bumpers mid hatch. Just try that first, then adjust bumpers (screw feet) if needed. I'll take a picture later if you need one.
Sure, I'll take a pic if you don't mind. I'll take a look at mine when I get home.

tnx
Old 03-11-2022, 12:15 AM
Litt
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_Ra
As above, I had this: a buzzing/rattling vibration from the sports chrono that sounded like a Geiger counter (sp?). Took three trips to dealer to fix (lots of anti-rattle felt tape) but now several thousand miles later it is definitely gone.
geiger counter sounds accurate for what I hear. Not quite a rattle or creak or knock. Do you know exactly what they did or where they put the felt to finally make it stop?
Old 03-11-2022, 08:41 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Just over 2000 miles and I heard my first rattle. Sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the rear, maybe hatch area? Haven't had time to track it down yet, but not terribly surprised since the roads here are pretty awful.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles?