Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Interior rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 09:03 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Sure, I'll take a pic if you don't mind. I'll take a look at mine when I get home.

tnx
Here’s where I put the sticky back foam tape Porsche gave me. Also on the service guys 718 Cayman T I noticed factory installed shims around the inside face of the joint where the trim piece meets the painted hatch, in 3-4 places. I bet they add these when they road test, mine doesn’t have them and the service guy said he didn’t install them, so that was my next area to tackle if this didn’t work. Between the tap and adjusting the “feet” it pretty much solved my issues. The tape compresses, so I replace it once in a while.

It shouldn’t make any sounds from the factory, IMO, but it is a pretty massive hatch. Hopefully you can get it adjusted on your own. They gave me the tape the day I brought it in, we were going to test drive but it started pouring with rain so I asked for something to try and they obliged.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:13 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Thanks. I can imagine how that tape would do the trick. It totally sounds like the hatch rubbing on that hard rubber piece. Unfortunately, yesterday there was some snow and dropping temps, so they BLASTED the roads with salt. The roads are now the worst they have been all winter! Hoping for rain now.

Thanks again for the pics.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:58 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Just wanted to circle back with my update... I removed the privacy cover from the rear hatch and the noise stopped. Simple enough. If I ever have the need for privacy, I'll either put it back or use the frunk.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Just wanted to circle back with my update... I removed the privacy cover from the rear hatch and the noise stopped. Simple enough. If I ever have the need for privacy, I'll either put it back or use the frunk.
Did you try tightening it down first? I found mine kind of loose at first too then I cranked it pretty hard and it seemed to help. Good you found it, bad you have to remove part of your car to cure it lol.
AdamIsAdam (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:21 PM
Litt
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Litt
It is still present in mine. I have noticed it doesn’t do it in very cold temps (less than 30 degrees F) and only does it when going slow (probably less than 35 MPH) and doesn’t take hardly any bumps for the noise to trigger (sometimes just backing out of the garage it does it). I have an appointment with dealer for yearly maintenance next week and planning on bringing it up to see if they can diagnose. I am wondering if it’s where the windshield and dash meet.
Following up on this. I had it in at the dealer. I mentioned this noise along with the spring binding noise I was hearing from the front passenger wheel. I assumed this binding noise was rocks caught in the spring or maybe just part of the suspension as others have mentioned in other threads. The dealer ended up changing the whole strut assembly (and did nothing for the rattle that I said was coming from what sounded like under the sport chrono) and now both noises are gone. Sounds like the two sounds were related. Very happy the car is silent again on both accounts.
slilley (03-22-2022)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:18 AM
DerekHK
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
This can also be used between panels that might squeak. The manufacturers use this to rap their wiring harnesses so that they don't rattle against the chassis or plastic panels. This can also be placed on the rear hatch glass just underneath where the plastic panels sometimes rub on the glass. Most of it can be put underneath the plastic panel, while the part that is exposed will be somewhat hidden by the black color already on the glass.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Fleece-I...4096661&sr=8-8
Can you take a picture or show me what you mean by "This can also be placed on the rear hatch glass just underneath where the plastic panels sometimes rub on the glass. Most of it can be put underneath the plastic panel, while the part that is exposed will be somewhat hidden by the black color already on the glass."??

Thanks in advance, think I might be having the same problem. This is driving me nuts! haha

Quick Reply: Interior rattles?