Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stock Exhaust - anyone satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021 | 12:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Some good stock sounds:
The sound of the stock exhaust system as represented in that video is good, having driven it in that configuration for months I would say it is accurate...

For me the thing was it still lacked a certain depth, tough to describe but something that after driving the car for awhile many of us know it needs more, sure there are those that will say they are happy and won't touch a thing, that's great but not the general consensus.

Many of us find that the sound of the engine and exhaust serve to pull you into the driving experience, because of that many GT4/Spyder/GTS 4.0 cars will end of with something or another done, what is the question as there are a tone of choices and combinations!
Old 02-08-2021 | 02:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Some good stock sounds:

https://youtu.be/PfI1t8OlU5k
Agreed, and I agree 100 percent with his conclusion, that it sounds epic. Sounds racy and mechanical without any excess rasp or boom. The more I drive my car, the more I love the sound of the stock exhaust as the revs rise.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
phefner (02-08-2021), tigerhonaker (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 04:23 PM
rost12
Racer

After living with a stock GT4 for a bit now, I think the exhaust is "fine". It doesn't make you giggle with excitement, but it sounds pretty good once above 4k. And below that I enjoy hearing all the whirring noises from behind me, sounds very mechanical and I love it.

Compared to the 981 I had before, the older car had a fruitier exhaust, obviously. But it also had all those fake pops and bangs, and I appreciate the new version doing away with that nonsense!
The following 2 users liked this post by rost12:
minn19 (02-08-2021), tigerhonaker (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:38 PM
Jimmycrack
Track Day

Throwing in my 2 cents here based on my experience with my Spyder post-break in—

The exhaust starts coming alive around 5k and the sound is sublime 6k-8k in the RPMs. With the top up, there’s enough mechanical sounds contributing to the visceral experience in the midrange of RPMs to allow for a satisfying experience until you get to the fireworks of the upper rev range.

However, with the top down, those interior mechanical and intake sounds are of course muffled, and when you get to the tuneful part of the exhaust, 6k-8k RPM range, you are at 70-90 mph when wind noise starts to drown it out. As such, if I am planning spirited backroad driving in sparsely populated areas, I go top up rather than top down, sacrificing the convertible experience for the sharper aural thrills. If I had the GT4 I think I would be content with the stock exhaust, but with the Spyder I can’t help but think a little more volume and a bit more refined exhaust note 4k-6k would really add to the visceral thrills of the car. I am not really an aftermarket mod guy, but am seriously considering it for this car once all the exhaust options have come out and matured.
The following users liked this post:
metalone (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 10:50 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmycrack
Throwing in my 2 cents here based on my experience with my Spyder post-break in—

The exhaust starts coming alive around 5k and the sound is sublime 6k-8k in the RPMs. With the top up, there’s enough mechanical sounds contributing to the visceral experience in the midrange of RPMs to allow for a satisfying experience until you get to the fireworks of the upper rev range.

However, with the top down, those interior mechanical and intake sounds are of course muffled, and when you get to the tuneful part of the exhaust, 6k-8k RPM range, you are at 70-90 mph when wind noise starts to drown it out. As such, if I am planning spirited backroad driving in sparsely populated areas, I go top up rather than top down, sacrificing the convertible experience for the sharper aural thrills. If I had the GT4 I think I would be content with the stock exhaust, but with the Spyder I can’t help but think a little more volume and a bit more refined exhaust note 4k-6k would really add to the visceral thrills of the car. I am not really an aftermarket mod guy, but am seriously considering it for this car once all the exhaust options have come out and matured.
The problem I am finding is that one really can't hear all the exhaust options in person, and also that no system seems to really be significantly better all around than the stock system. The closest for me from what I can ascertain through sound clips is Cargraphic. It adds a depth to the sound that is missing from other brands. OAPs do add power, but the sound just becomes unsophisticated.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Goodwood (05-29-2021), TTFLT6 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:15 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

I recently strapped my exhaust valves open and I'm really enjoying the 1 to 4k rev range compared to the standard programming. I've only got 1k miles on the car, so I've got time to assess any changes in the muffler output over 2 or 3k more miles.
Old 02-09-2021 | 12:07 AM
Spyderman2
Instructor

I've only had my Spyder one week but I'm inclined to say I like the sound stock, as is. I've noticed a number of guys in muscle cars recently with IMO ridiculously loud exhausts and decided I don't want to be that guy. Seems more appropriate for a 19 year old kid to have a super loud exhaust than me, a 57 year old middle aged (assuming I live to be 114) man.
Old 02-09-2021 | 11:21 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyderman2
I've only had my Spyder one week but I'm inclined to say I like the sound stock, as is. I've noticed a number of guys in muscle cars recently with IMO ridiculously loud exhausts and decided I don't want to be that guy. Seems more appropriate for a 19 year old kid to have a super loud exhaust than me, a 57 year old middle aged (assuming I live to be 114) man.
I have the Akrapovic slip-on and over axle pipes on my Spyder, with OEM valve control...and love it. I always leave the OEM PSE switch off, as there is no need to open the valves further with that setting. In my opinion, this exhaust transforms the car. The sound on downshifts is fantastic, and from 5k to 8k, it screams as a flat 6 should. But...it is not too loud. I'd say it is just a bit louder when cruising, but not what anyone would consider loud at all. Just enough to hear it and appreciate what you are driving. At full throttle or high revs, it isn't really much louder (if at all?) than stock due to the muffler design Akra came up with. But the tone and quality of the sound is SO much better. Anyway, not all of the choices result in a loud exhaust. Some, like the Akra, simply improve the sound dramatically, giving you a Porsche Motorsports type sound without excessive volume. Oh...and no drone in any of the normal driving situations that I've encountered, which was important to me. In terms of drone, and even sound volume, it is an OEM type experience. Choose wisely, and you can avoid a too loud, droney exhaust, while enjoying all of the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust. And, I don't mean to imply that the Akra solution is the only one out there that will do this. But I do know from personal experience that it is a great choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by vince993tt:
rzspyder (02-10-2021), tigerhonaker (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021 | 12:29 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by vince993tt
I have the Akrapovic slip-on and over axle pipes on my Spyder, with OEM valve control...and love it. I always leave the OEM PSE switch off, as there is no need to open the valves further with that setting. In my opinion, this exhaust transforms the car. The sound on downshifts is fantastic, and from 5k to 8k, it screams as a flat 6 should. But...it is not too loud. I'd say it is just a bit louder when cruising, but not what anyone would consider loud at all. Just enough to hear it and appreciate what you are driving. At full throttle or high revs, it isn't really much louder (if at all?) than stock due to the muffler design Akra came up with. But the tone and quality of the sound is SO much better. Anyway, not all of the choices result in a loud exhaust. Some, like the Akra, simply improve the sound dramatically, giving you a Porsche Motorsports type sound without excessive volume. Oh...and no drone in any of the normal driving situations that I've encountered, which was important to me. In terms of drone, and even sound volume, it is an OEM type experience. Choose wisely, and you can avoid a too loud, droney exhaust, while enjoying all of the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust. And, I don't mean to imply that the Akra solution is the only one out there that will do this. But I do know from personal experience that it is a great choice.

Thanks for the review. I’m sure it sounds fantastic! The Akra system isn’t compatible with US emissions though is it? Can you pass inspection? Check engine light?
Old 02-10-2021 | 12:39 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
Thanks for the review. I’m sure it sounds fantastic! The Akra system isn’t compatible with US emissions though is it? Can you pass inspection? Check engine light?
Totally compatible with US stds. No issues at all. The US GPF is inert and unmonitored.
DFW01TT (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021 | 03:08 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

If you have LWBS don’t forget to add seat risers. Especially if you plan to track it.
Old 02-10-2021 | 05:48 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Spyder top down i cant hear the engine. Valves disconnected drones bad 2-3k rpm. Mine definitely has its moments but it needs some work for sure. GT4 i drove was loud inside. Not sure i would do alot of exhaust work to it unless i completely disconnected the sound symposer
Old 02-10-2021 | 02:57 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
No check engine light. I don't have inspection here, but I don't see why it wouldn't pass, as the matrix in the OEM link pipes isn't monitored or even part of the emissions control process as far as I understand (in the US). I'm also not in California, so I don't have the CARB related issues to deal with either.
As explained in another thread, the Akra link pipes are no longer being brought into the US by the distributor here, but I believe other link pipe solutions would yield essentially the same sound as the Akra pipes. I don't really understand the explanations I've read regarding why the distributor has stopped importing them, as I don't believe they actually serve an emissions purpose in the US.
Old 02-23-2021 | 05:09 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I do not have mine yet, but from the couple test drives I have done on the PDK model, here are my initial thoughts... Also keep in mind that my opinions are coming from the perspective of someone who will own this car as their only car and will be using it under a variety of driving conditions including commuting, long distance, canyon runs, and occasional track.

I do not think this car needs an exhaust system. Under heavy load, the induction noise is loud enough already and it is right behind your head. I think adding more volume from an exhaust system would be too much if you plan on doing any type of long distance travels.

I also noted that at freeway speeds (70-80 MPH) with PDK in regular mode, the RPM's sit at a range that any light throttle input gives you a little cabin drone (and yes the cylinder deactivation button was pushed, so NOT that). Drop into 6th by either going into PDK Sport+ mode OR manually downshifting into 6th, eliminates that drone completely, so if you plan to do any long distance driving and do not want the drone, you will remain in 6th gear at about 3,200 RPM. A little annoying, but not a deal breaker.
Old 02-23-2021 | 05:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I've decided to go with Soul PP OPF pipes and Akra slip on ...
Soul Performance (02-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust - anyone satisfied?