Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stock Exhaust - anyone satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020 | 11:11 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr965
Dundon Motorsports has a header utilizing the oem muffler with impressive results. I will be installing these.
will be interesting to see if it throws fault codes
Old 12-04-2020 | 12:34 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by malmasri
Hard to live with every day especially if you do constant speed often , but the sound it makes is awesome.
Do you have the resonated version? Can't wait to get mine installed! Just arrived
Old 12-15-2020 | 05:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Thought I'd bump this since there's a bunch of new owners.
Old 12-15-2020 | 06:26 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

I’ve put around 500 miles on the stock exhaust and IMO it needs work. The biggest downside is the valve functionality. If the button functioned like the 981 I don’t think it’d be a problem at all, but even with PSE active the valves are closed far too often and the sound doesn’t match the look of the car.

I have a soul resonated race exhaust coming some time in Jan to solve the exhaust problem.

Last edited by Poupon McArr; 12-16-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2021 | 01:41 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Stock sounds...... no talking.

The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Denny Swift (01-03-2021), DFW01TT (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021 | 12:17 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Recently took home a 4.0 CGTS. I was prepared to not like the sound at all from reading and hearing all the reviews but I actually really like it. Below 3800 its fairly quiet but the cabin still has a lot of interesting noises from engine, gear change (manual), rev-matching, exhaust, etc. Above 3800 the valves open and you get a lot more of that pleasant sound with different tones and characters. I'm still breaking it in so haven't pushed it yet but I am sure it gets even better. The car is not too loud or exhausting on long trips or cruising but at the same time sounds proper porsche when pushed. I don't think I will upgrade the exhaust unless I get bored. In reference I have had a 991.1 CS and I think this car sounds better. I came from a 2.5CGTS and this car is an obvious several echelon improvement although I didn't hate the 2.5. I have also had a GT3 which sounded epic but just a little too much for daily duties or longer distance cruising.
The following 4 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
AlexCeres (01-04-2021), slilley (01-04-2021), tigerhonaker (01-03-2021), UncleDude (01-03-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 09:20 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Is anyone satisfied with the sound of the stock exhaust??

"The engine noise, this is what an exotic car costing three times as much should sound like," editor-in-chief Mark Rechtin said. "Thunderous, guttural, startling and snarling."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...ers-car-video/

“When I first drove the car last year in Europe, I complained about a lack of noise. Forget all that. Though very similar, this US-market GT4 isn’t burdened by the EU’s exact particulate filter. The small differences between the two units make all the difference.The GT4’s 4.0-liter six finally has its chance to sing. The engine’s exhaust note rumbles down low, rattling and growling before it reveals a sweeping, sawtoothed midrange. Up top, at its 8000-rpm redline, the six delivers heaping buckets full of yawp.”

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...an-gt4-review/

“Central to its appeal, and at the core of what it once meant to be a mid-engine Porsche, is the Spyder's sound. Its intake note—especially in the meaty zone above 5000 rpm—is a slice of internal-combustion magic usually reserved for Porsche's immediately sold-out models. It begins as a hollow bellow then builds to a screaming rage by redline. Hello, sharpness, our old friend. We're glad to talk with you again.”

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

“Its best noises are approaching its 8,000rpm limit, but in the middle of the rev range where you’ll spend most of your time (second gear stretches past 80mph, after all) it doesn’t sound or feel quite as delightful as before. It feels more like an old Boxster GTS used to. Still pretty effing good, just not superlatively so.”

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...spyder/driving

Last edited by Denny Swift; 01-04-2021 at 09:25 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
AlexCeres (01-04-2021), ISPYA718 (01-04-2021), tigerhonaker (01-04-2021), UncleDude (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 11:37 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

I took my GTS 4.0 yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have to admit, I'm really starting to like the stock exhaust both the way it is programmed with the PSE button and the sound inside the cabin. I'm coming around to the realization that it is really nice mix of quiet when cruising and builds to a nice sound when getting on it (for me of course/my opinion).

I'll still add somebodies OAP at some point, but that is probably it.

Last edited by minn19; 01-04-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2021 | 12:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by minn19
I took my GTS 4.0 yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have to admit, I'm really starting to like the stock exhaust both the way it is programmed with the PSE button and the sound inside the cabin. I'm coming around to the realization that it is really nice mix of quiet when cruising and builds to a nice sound when getting on it (for me of course/my opinion).
Agreed. It’s quiet when it should be, and loud when it should be. Sounds perfect stock to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
minn19 (01-04-2021), tigerhonaker (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 12:25 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

I'll still add somebodies OAP at some point, but that is probably it.
I'm hoping that the GT4 with PDK will be a nice combination of Tolerable when long-distance driving inside-cabin, windows-closed and then when accelerating it comes Alive as a Sports Car should.

After seeing and reading on this site all the different after-market options for exhaust.
I've come to the conclusion don't be screwing around with the Stock-Exhaust-System.
The videos I have watched and that's a heck of a lot of them the stock system to me sounds A-OK when it's under acceleration.
But, it also will NOT drive you Crazy when cruising and that's seriously important for doing extended-trips.
When one is young we can tolerate LOUD-***-EXHAUST and show it off to our crazy buddies.
But, a Plus $100K dollar Porsche doesn't have to continuously be so LOUD you can't think inside the cabin with windows closed.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-04-2021 at 12:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
ISPYA718 (01-04-2021), lowbee (10-30-2021), minn19 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 12:37 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I'm hoping that the GT4 with PDK will be a nice combination of Tolerable when long-distance driving inside-cabin, windows-closed and then when accelerating it comes Alive as a Sports Car should.

After seeing and reading on this site all the different after-market options for exhaust.
I've come to the conclusion don't be screwing around with the Stock-Exhaust-System.
The videos I have watched and that's a heck of a lot of them the stock system to me sounds A-OK when it's under acceleration.
But, it also will NOT drive you Crazy when cruising and that's seriously important for doing extended-trips.
When one is young we can tolerate LOUD-***-EXHAUST and show it off to our crazy buddies.
But, a Plus $100K dollar Porsche doesn't have to continuously be so LOUD you can't think inside the cabin with windows closed.

Terry
Agreed, I guess I'm officially getting older as I don't need to have it loud all the time or rev it in neutral for friends/people etc etc.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 01:12 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

Terry
Agreed, I guess I'm officially getting older as I don't need to have it loud all the time or rev it in neutral for friends/people etc etc.
100% totally agree ^^^
I can tell on this site there are some seriously Super-Wealthy guys that have multiple High-End machines just sitting in their Multi-Bay-Garages.
I don't fall into that little clique .............
And I am Way-way beyond giving a Rat-s-*** about what onlookers hear as I drive by.
If they (On-Lookers) want LOUD then go buy one and make it so.

I've got all the T-Shirts for LOUD cars over the past 50 plus years of driving since I was 20-years old and started driving..

Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
minn19 (01-04-2021), Russv (02-24-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 01:44 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I gave the stock exhaust on my spyder about 2600 miles. It got a little better, but no way a car like this should sound. I don’t want loud and obnoxious. It’s a convertible. It’s a fun driver with capability for track if desired. I put on the Akrapovic link pipe and unplugged the vacuum lines and it is perfect for me. Transformed the car. Stock exhaust left in place, just link pipes put on.
DFW01TT (02-10-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 02:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I gave the stock exhaust on my spyder about 2600 miles. It got a little better, but no way a car like this should sound. I don’t want loud and obnoxious. It’s a convertible. It’s a fun driver with capability for track if desired. I put on the Akrapovic link pipe and unplugged the vacuum lines and it is perfect for me. Transformed the car. Stock exhaust left in place, just link pipes put on.
How about 1800-2600 RPM roof up and a slow roll-on of the throttle in 3rd or higher?
Old 02-08-2021 | 12:06 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Some good stock sounds:

Z06jerry (02-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust - anyone satisfied?