Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Plasti Dip silver seat-backs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 03:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts
Default Plasti Dip silver seat-backs?

Silver seat-backs collide with many color combos that don’t have much silver elsewhere, especially with the Boxster/Soyder where the interior becomes the exterior when the top is down. Since covering them with leather is either pricey (18-ways + leather backs) or impossible (2-ways) has anyone tried covering them with Plasti Dip? Any reasons this may not be a good idea?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

I’m going 18 ways with leather/deviated because the rest of the interior is full cow and don’t care for the silver seat backs. However, I’d consider wrapping them before I’d plastidip.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:02 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

The best is to option the leather for the backs....that option is only for 18-ways? Didn't know that.
There's got to be a way to take them out because DB Carbon offers the back of the seats in carbon.
If you can take them out send them to Frank at Exclusive Options
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (10-07-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 10:35 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would think a wrap would be better. I know someone did it and said it was somewhat of a challenge because of the way the leather is affixed.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The best is to option the leather for the backs....that option is only for 18-ways? Didn't know that.
Yes, for some reason 2-ways can't have the leather back option. Heck, I'd pay few hundred $ to just have them painted black. Wrapping them with leather after-market is always an option. And 18-ways are a big no for me mostly due to the added weight of all those motors. Both 2-ways and LWBS fit me perfectly so the choice for me is between those two.

Looks like no one has tried the Plasti Dip way.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:11 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't like the silver seat backs, especially because the silver doesn't match any other silver in or on the car and as you say it clashes with a lot of the interior colors. The plastidip would be interesting to try since it can always be removed. My only concern would be whether it has any solvents or anything that could react with the plastic. I have only used it on emblems and wheels in the past. I'm also bothered by using plastidip on a Porsche. I'm not sure why, but it feels wrong to me somehow. Like it should be relegated to cheaper cars. But I also think nobody would know. Whenever I've done wheels on other cars people think I had them painted or powder coated. So really it's just an internal mental block for me.

I would have an interior shop do it in leather. Even if it didn't match the seats I think it would look better. For example on a black/bordeaux interior if an interior shop couldn't match the bordeaux I would think black leather would look better than the silver.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:49 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree that the silver is jarring with many builds (including mine in-progress). If I find it hard to tolerate after delivery, I'm thinking a good body shop (and one I've used is excellent) would be able to paint the silverbacks black, although the cost of doing so might approach what the black leather back option would have cost.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:56 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I've used plastic dip on a couple large items and not sure I would try and use it on the seat backs. It's can be hard to apply and get a smooth surface. temp/humidty are big factors in how it goes on. I would do a wrap first.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AviBen
I agree that the silver is jarring with many builds (including mine in-progress). If I find it hard to tolerate after delivery, I'm thinking a good body shop (and one I've used is excellent) would be able to paint the silverbacks black, although the cost of doing so might approach what the black leather back option would have cost.
The leather back option costs $3000 for the 18-ways + $1700 for the leather back so $4700 and a bunch of extra weight over the 2-ways -- makes no sense. I'm guessing that wrapping or painting the 2-ways would be <$1000? Plasti Dip <$50?
Old 09-19-2020, 05:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
I've used plastic dip on a couple large items and not sure I would try and use it on the seat backs. It's can be hard to apply and get a smooth surface. temp/humidty are big factors in how it goes on. I would do a wrap first.
I've never used plasti dip but I've seen pics of people using it on wheels that looked pretty well actually. Would applying it on the relatively flat seat backs be harder than applying it on wheels? When you say "wrap" do you mean leather or a painted wrap that people use to change their exterior color?
Old 09-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I've never used plasti dip but I've seen pics of people using it on wheels that looked pretty well actually. Would applying it on the relatively flat seat backs be harder than applying it on wheels? When you say "wrap" do you mean leather or a painted wrap that people use to change their exterior color?
This summer we bought some used gym equipment, and I used the plastic dip to recondition the weight stack shroud's (large panels). I used the spare paint cans and used one of those hand trigger spray can attachments. I got better as I went, but there was a learning curve. Some of the tips I found was to keep the cans hot, ~120-130 degree's, I used a bucket of hot water that I kept changing out. The stuff did go on better then using a can that was room temperature.I would think doing wheels would actually be easier, because the wheels don't have large area's. The plus for the Plasti dip is that it's easy to peel off and start over.

For a wrap, I'm talking about a vinyl wrap, you can get carbon fiber or other others.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
If I had to cover the seat backs, an automotive wrap would be the best choice IMHO, a decent installer could do this from bulk film quite easily. Heck you could even use a carbon fiber wrap!
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 05:54 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
If I had to cover the seat backs, an automotive wrap would be the best choice IMHO, a decent installer could do this from bulk film quite easily. Heck you could even use a carbon fiber wrap!
I can not understand carbon fiber wrap, or carbon fiber body parts that are OEM parts covered in carbon fiber. You are basically adding weight to give the look of something that is lighter weight. This is totally the definition of a "rice" mod. It is a mod that gives the illusion of superiority, without actual superiority. Kinda like those fake brake covers that look like high performance brakes.

Last edited by VVG; 09-19-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I bet any decent body shop could just spray paint and clear coat them any paint you want -- like the option Porsche used to have for seat backs in exterior color which my 996 GT3 2-ways have -- for few hundred bucks. That may be both the easiest (let a professional do it) and the most aesthetically pleasing way.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I can not understand carbon fiber wrap, or carbon fiber body parts that are OEM parts covered in carbon fiber. You are basically adding weight to give the look of something that is lighter weight. This is totally the definition of a "rice" mod. It is a mod that gives the illusion of superiority, without actual superiority. Kinda like those fake brake covers that look like high performance brakes.
Ahhh, OK, I think...??? But that is NOT what we are talking about here, the OP wants to change the look of the silver seat back, so this is not a "rice" mod, simply another choice of material for the job.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip silver seat-backs?