Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Plasti Dip silver seat-backs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:11 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
I agree that the silver is jarring with many builds (including mine in-progress). If I find it hard to tolerate after delivery, I'm thinking a good body shop (and one I've used is excellent) would be able to paint the silverbacks black, although the cost of doing so might approach what the black leather back option would have cost.
I haven't looked at the seats with that in mind, but most seats will come apart with an hour of labour. It's a frame, a couple covers and a couple cushions, and then the trim pieces. the trim pieces will likely be one of the first things that disassemble from the frame, so it's not likely very labour intensive to pull apart.

As for painting it, that is also pretty simple. it's plastic so easy to paint.

The problem is the airbag which is also silver. Will they spray the airbag? Paint is unlikely to affect it's deployment, but the liability is huge so I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want to get sued due to the manufacturer's system failing to deploy an airbag because of a defect with their product (actually does happen. I've even seen airbags blow on the passenger side instead of the driver side when the passenger side should have been disabled due to no passenger) and that gets blamed on the shop that painted an airbag. You'll run into the same problem with a wrap job, and IMO if you plasti dip it, I would value your car at 0. That stuff is terrible and difficult to remove.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip silver seat-backs?