Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:04 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Ok. So you’re not using the phone to record the video. That is my plan. I’ll try again tomorrow with a long chord to the console I guess.
No I use my dashcam for video.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:52 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,506 Likes on 2,257 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Only thing that comes to mind is (1) make sure your phone is set to "Auto Join" the wifi network for your car, and more importantly, make sure no other network that is nearby is set to auto-join. I notice in my garage, when my phone connects to my car's wifi, it will then try to switch back to my home's wifi because it's set to auto-join.

If you have the option to connect using a cable, it may help, but at least or me (PCM 6), it also wants to be connected with wifi for some reason.
I have a bluetooth watch, that's the only thing I can think of. When I started recording the new track, I was away from the house and all joined networks. Of note, the phone never dropped the wifi connection, it was only the app. Every time I checked the phone it was joined. The lack of instructions is quite amazing, they probably think it is so easy none are needed. But no where does it say to use CarPlay, or connect the phone via cable and yet Reedy has the most success with that.

Given my noob track stature, harry's lap timer might be a better bet to get some basic info.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:12 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

@Reedy what settings do you use on your phone? Airplane mode on? Do Not Disturb on?

Edit: OK so I used CarPlay, connected via usb cable and left airplane mode off (I think it needs data for map) and it worked flawlessly including the export with overlay. Why they can't add this to the instructions is beyond me!

Last edited by UncleDude; 05-08-2024 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:53 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

@Reedy what settings do you use on your phone? Airplane mode on? Do Not Disturb on?

Edit: OK so I used CarPlay, connected via usb cable and left airplane mode off (I think it needs data for map) and it worked flawlessly including the export with overlay. Why they can't add this to the instructions is beyond me!
No airplane mode but I usually switch my phone to Do Not Disturb at track days.
UncleDude (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:36 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
No I use my dashcam for video.
Are you using the PTPA to switch on the recording on your dashcam or is it switched manually? Seems to me that reducing the load on the ap/phone as much as possible does help keep things stable.
BTW, good time at SMSP the other day given the damp conditions, what tires were you using?
Old 05-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donR
Are you using the PTPA to switch on the recording on your dashcam or is it switched manually? Seems to me that reducing the load on the ap/phone as much as possible does help keep things stable.
BTW, good time at SMSP the other day given the damp conditions, what tires were you using?
The dashcam is always recording when the ignition is on, I just pull the relevant files off the SD card and sync with the data file to make the video afterwards. Can do the same thing with any camera footage from a GoPro etc.

Cheers! The conditions were actually quite good towards the end of the day when it dried up! I was quite shocked at how much grip there was. I was using Yokohama AD09's.
donR (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:20 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

So I went out again today and drove the “track” I made yesterday and that worked fine. I then made another “track” and recorded two laps (about 6.5 mintues each) and the data disappeared half way through the second lap but the app continued to work and record the driving, but the data was stuck at that point. I guess the phone lost the car data stream, not sure what happened but I guess if you can get one lap out of this thing it is a win LOL.

Maybe I will try it again in airplane mode, just to see if it works.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:49 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

So I went out again today and drove the “track” I made yesterday and that worked fine. I then made another “track” and recorded two laps (about 6.5 mintues each) and the data disappeared half way through the second lap but the app continued to work and record the driving, but the data was stuck at that point. I guess the phone lost the car data stream, not sure what happened but I guess if you can get one lap out of this thing it is a win LOL.

Maybe I will try it again in airplane mode, just to see if it works.
This is pretty normal behaviour. I have found the order in which you start the app up matters. I do a hard close on the phone before opening it, open the app on the phone first and select your track before you touch the carplay screen. If you plug the phone in and initiate everything from the carplay screen it is far more prone to crashing.

It also doesn't play very nice when a circuit has multiple layouts. That can cause all kinds of problems.

Last edited by Reedy; 05-09-2024 at 12:50 AM.
UncleDude (05-09-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 02:21 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

rev counter not accurate, I was in first gear so no money shift

Old 05-10-2024, 04:16 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 114 Posts

rev counter not accurate, I was in first gear so no money shift

Looks like you got an over the air update converting your car to a Spyder RS!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:50 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Looks like you got an over the air update converting your car to a Spyder RS!
the gods are speaking!……. in reality, the app came with a GT3RS loaded as part of the boilerplate stuff, so I’ve deleted that and we’ll see if it works, in the overlay it says the correct car though, so just another glitch on the pile of glitches!
Old 05-19-2024, 09:16 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
I think the Track Precision App doesn't work with iOS 17.2. I just upgraded to iOS 17.2 (day before a track weekend!) and it says I need to give it GPS location permission, but iOS isn't listing that as a permission that the app is requesting. And there's no way to downgrade from iOS 17 back to 16.
I tried using the app today to basically record a spirited free drive on the street and it kept telling me to enable GPS and so when I click on the "go to settings," I can't find anywhere that allows GPS location settings. I've tried looking everywhere. I've got the latest versions of app and iOS installed. Has anybody figured this out?
Old 05-19-2024, 11:56 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 72 Posts

How do you get export video to work? It just sits there at 0% doing nothing. All permissions are enabled. Android.

Last edited by GoodRevrnd; 05-20-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:54 AM
mthreat
Pro

Received 364 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I tried using the app today to basically record a spirited free drive on the street and it kept telling me to enable GPS and so when I click on the "go to settings," I can't find anywhere that allows GPS location settings. I've tried looking everywhere. I've got the latest versions of app and iOS installed. Has anybody figured this out?
I think this happened to me after I upgraded to iOS 17 from 16.x. You won't believe this, but what actually fixed it was deleting the Track Precision App and reinstalling it. Somehow the location permission got screwed up during the upgrade to iOS 17. Here's my post when it happened: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post19168543
Old 05-20-2024, 02:22 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,746 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
How do you get export video to work? It just sits there at 0% doing nothing. All permissions are evaluated. Android.
Not sure what you mean by "All permissions are evaluated."

Anyway, I am on a Pixel 7Pro (Android 14) and the export works for me, except that the video doesn't included the data overlay that you see when the recording is played back on the phone.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App