Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2023 | 06:53 PM
McMGC
Rennlist Member

i take whatever i said about 4.2.0 back.
4.2.0 is trash. Never worked on track.
Old 10-19-2023 | 02:13 AM
Darigitin
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Go to Recordings list, select a session and there should be some icon in the upper right... that should take you to an "export" screen for saving data, video, and both...

Can you get there? or is the video+data option greyed out ?
Wasn't an option last time I tried on Android. Looks like iOS finally got the update that supports dashcams so I might give that a try this weekend. Sadly the last weekend I got before I store the car for the winter.
Old 10-19-2023 | 10:50 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by McMGC
i take whatever i said about 4.2.0 back.
4.2.0 is trash. Never worked on track.
I'm glad I postponed that update then. I was using 4.1.6 (I think) last weekend on track and got data for all session except the last one, becuase I was tired and forgot to hit the big red GET READY button... UGH.

I have yet to import my GoPro footage and attempt an export... that's always a challenge and literally a real PITA.
Old 10-19-2023 | 11:04 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Darigitin
Wasn't an option last time I tried on Android. Looks like iOS finally got the update that supports dashcams so I might give that a try this weekend. Sadly the last weekend I got before I store the car for the winter.
I recall from your previous post that you had prepared your GoPro footage as a single file, uploaded to your phone and also added it as a video to the recording. That is everything you need to do, and you should be able to export video plus data.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent that is the video format,... frame rate or size or whatnot. What is maddening is that sometimes you can see the preview in the app, but it won't export due to something with the MPEG video parameters.

If you want to bang your head against the wall (as I do), then I suggest trying the following:

1. Do a test run in your neighborhood and set on the internal camera on your phone.
2. Examine the video file parameters that to app creates itself.
3. Check and adjust your Go Pro footage to match.

I did the above once, and the settings for Android PTPA were: H.264 codec, 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps. I use Handbrake (freeware) to reformat video. Crazy, eh?

All of the above is why Garmin is selling well....

The following users liked this post:
ANGST (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023 | 07:02 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Just did another track night last night and this latest version has a few UI changes that surprised me. Otherwise the app worked pretty well. First time in a while I haven't suffered any data loss.
Old 10-19-2023 | 10:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
Just did another track night last night and this latest version has a few UI changes that surprised me. Otherwise the app worked pretty well. First time in a while I haven't suffered any data loss.
Sorry, lost track, Android or Apple?
Old 10-19-2023 | 11:13 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Sorry, lost track, Android or Apple?
Apple
Old 10-20-2023 | 11:25 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
Apple
I guess I should try mine again, they did update Android too, I have never been able to get a complete session downloaded from PTPA...

Has anybody changed phones and successfully loaded runs/sessions from the older phone to the new phone? I went from a Samsun s9+ to a Google Pixel 7 Pro and thought maybe with the new app version exports might actually work?
Old 10-20-2023 | 01:51 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Has anybody changed phones and successfully loaded runs/sessions from the older phone to the new phone? I went from a Samsun s9+ to a Google Pixel 7 Pro and thought maybe with the new app version exports might actually work?
My family finally convinced me to get an iPhone after years of being a loyal Android user. I can tell you that exporting tracks and recordings from Android and trying to import to iPhone has failed every time, due to "invalid file" error.... I had to start over from scratch.

When I used Android, I was able to export tracks and recordings, but I could never import them. There was no way to "double click" the exported file to launch and import to Track Precision... like there was no registered application assigned to .TPARECORD filetypes....and Track Precision doesn't have a "file import" function. I never figured out how to import on Android.

Last edited by Fast-Eddie; 10-20-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2023 | 02:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
My family finally convinced me to get an iPhone after years of being a loyal Android user. I can tell you that exporting tracks and recordings from Android and trying to import to iPhone has failed every time, due to "invalid file" error.... I had to start over from scratch.

When I used Android, I was able to export tracks and recordings, but I could never import them. There was no way to "double click" the exported file to launch and import to Track Precision... like there was no registered application assigned to .TPARECORD filetypes....and Track Precision doesn't have a "file import" function. I never figured out how to import on Android.
Bummer, but thanks for the details, I guess that I simply move on.
Old 12-16-2023 | 01:31 AM
mthreat
Pro

I think the Track Precision App doesn't work with iOS 17.2. I just upgraded to iOS 17.2 (day before a track weekend!) and it says I need to give it GPS location permission, but iOS isn't listing that as a permission that the app is requesting. And there's no way to downgrade from iOS 17 back to 16.
Old 12-16-2023 | 01:57 AM
donR
Pro

Have you tried removing and reinstalling TPA?
Old 12-16-2023 | 02:01 AM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by donR
Have you tried removing and reinstalling TPA?
Not yet..I'll try it because why not. The downside is it will probably erase my track recordings.

Update: Well hot damn, it seems to have worked... and I can confirm that it does delete your Track Precision App data, including track recordings and settings. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by mthreat; 12-16-2023 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2023 | 02:30 AM
donR
Pro

Originally Posted by mthreat
Not yet..I'll try it because why not. The downside is it will probably erase my track recordings.

Update: Well hot damn, it seems to have worked... and I can confirm that it does delete your Track Precision App data, including track recordings and settings. Thanks for the suggestion.
Next time grab the TPA data file and save it somewhere else then copy back after re-install.

Last edited by donR; 12-16-2023 at 02:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (12-16-2023)
Old 03-07-2024 | 12:42 AM
mthreat
Pro

A new verison of the Track Precision App is out... version 4.2.1 dated March 4, 2024. Has anyone installed it and tested it yet?

Quick Reply: Track Precision App