Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 11:34 PM
superblam
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sbehn
Which database file did you delete? the .sqlite file or the TPA.db folder?
The TPA.db. It lets you open the app but it’s empty. You have to grab quicktimes just through iOS in the Porsche precision folder.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:16 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Has anyone tried migrating from Android to IOS with this app? I can export tracks and recordings on Android, but importing on IOS I only get "Import failed; the file appears to be corrupted". I have latest Android version 4.09 (I think), but IOS is 4.1.2. The version mismatch may be the cause. But I wonder if this scenario was even contemplated?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:24 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,746 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Has anyone tried migrating from Android to IOS with this app? I can export tracks and recordings on Android, but importing on IOS I only get "Import failed; the file appears to be corrupted". I have latest Android version 4.09 (I think), but IOS is 4.1.2. The version mismatch may be the cause. But I wonder if this scenario was even contemplated?
Sorry, I can't help with anything IOS, but sure would like to know how you managed to export the files, to a PC I assume, can you watch them there?
Old 02-04-2023, 02:10 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 72 Posts

Does this still require Nav upgrade? Seems like a waste if it's still a crash mess. Might as well get the Garmin or add a data logger to a dashcam.
The following users liked this post:
TDT (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 02:36 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
Does this still require Nav upgrade? Seems like a waste if it's still a crash mess. Might as well get the Garmin or add a data logger to a dashcam.
100% Correct.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:17 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Sorry, I can't help with anything IOS, but sure would like to know how you managed to export the files, to a PC I assume, can you watch them there?
In TPA, I just exported tracks when viewing my custom tracks. In recordings, I export as TPARECORD. The moved the files from Android to IOS using DropBox... or you can copy to PC.

If you mean overlaying and exporting video,... well that is a chore in itself.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,746 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
Originally Posted by TDT
100% Correct.
Hmmm, I am pretty sure that you don't need NAV to run the Track Precision App. OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 02-05-2023, 10:23 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 321 Posts

Hmmm, I am pretty sure that you don't need NAV to run the Track Precision App. OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
One thing that I would add is that the TPA requires a GPS antenna from either the car, external or phone. I had TPA running with and without NAV but I had the GPS antenna already installed.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:12 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

My ‘100% correct’ was for Track precision app garbage, get a Garmin catalyst.
Wild Weasel (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 12:38 PM
LiveToDrive
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve also temporarily given up TPA until Porsche figures their stuff out. I’ve been using CircuitStorm successfully however they don’t have a VBO export option. I’m sure if enough of us bug them to get VBO export, they’ll eventually do it. A friend was able to convert my csv data to vbo to use in circuit tools but a native export would obviously be better.
The app only runs on android so I had to get a dedicated android phone for data, but as far as I know, it’s the only software that can connect to Porsche’s EXLAP data to get steering angle, throttle & brake pressure, etc.

You can see the export here:

Last edited by LiveToDrive; 05-30-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:33 PM
MaddGTS
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A Rennlister has posted a way to get your own telemetry from EXLAP using their python script. It's in the Data Acquisition sub forum.

Porsche Track App is reliable now, I was able to use it to capture data without issues, which was a first for me compared to last season. I did upgrade the PCM software at the dealer during my oil change though, not sure if that is a factor for my 991.2.

Suggest trying it out this season, it might be better.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:14 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

TPA had been reliable for the last few track days for me but I went out Thursday last week and it only captured 3/5 sessions. Crashed for the other 2. I’m pretty sure it lost my fastest lap in the process too. Still not as reliable as it should be.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,543 Likes on 859 Posts

So i attempted to setup the track precision app for a track day a few weeks ago. I was unable to pair the phone to the car for it to work. During the setup process it told me to connect to the cars Wifi. Now i didn't have that option however i keep seeing that you dont need NAV in order for it to work. However i was unable to get it to connect the way it wants. Anyone have any idea? Its not a huge deal as i bought a Garmin Catalyst, but i would like the option just in case i dont have the garmin with me.
TDT (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 10:51 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
So i attempted to setup the track precision app for a track day a few weeks ago. I was unable to pair the phone to the car for it to work. During the setup process it told me to connect to the cars Wifi. Now i didn't have that option however i keep seeing that you dont need NAV in order for it to work. However i was unable to get it to connect the way it wants. Anyone have any idea? Its not a huge deal as i bought a Garmin Catalyst, but i would like the option just in case i dont have the garmin with me.
In my experience it’s a waste of time trying to get it to work. Even if it seems to be working for a session it will still drop your data or fail some other way, distract you from your session, and leave you frustrated at the end. Catalyst or AIM is a much better and actually reliable solution.
TDT (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 05:33 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bents
In my experience it’s a waste of time trying to get it to work. Even if it seems to be working for a session it will still drop your data or fail some other way, distract you from your session, and leave you frustrated at the end. Catalyst or AIM is a much better and actually reliable solution.
Exactly this. It’s garbage.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App