Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022 | 09:42 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reedy
Everyone should jump on Harry's Lap timer's forum and see if they are able to tap into the Porsche data feed. If enough of us do it, and it's possible to do that would be so much better.

The only reason I use PTP is to access the cars data feed. For actual lap timing, it sucks!
I had this thought as well, but didn't think it would be even remotely possible, until I came across the posts for SoloStorm, which can apparently connect to the car's data feed. Therefore, it should be possible, if Harry is willing to take up the challenge. A minor issue might be the inability to connect/control WiFi cameras, when Laptimer is connected to the car's wifi, but I can deal with that.
Old 05-17-2022 | 07:41 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
I had this thought as well, but didn't think it would be even remotely possible, until I came across the posts for SoloStorm, which can apparently connect to the car's data feed. Therefore, it should be possible, if Harry is willing to take up the challenge. A minor issue might be the inability to connect/control WiFi cameras, when Laptimer is connected to the car's wifi, but I can deal with that.
I did a search on Harry's forum and someone else has already asked the question. He said there is no automotive standard for this stuff so didn't think it was possible, but if solostorm has cracked it then there might be hope yet. Was that using the wifi data feed or OBD? I can use my OBD tool with Harry's already but that only includes basic parameters like speed and RPM, it doesn't include tyre pressures, steering angle or wheel slip.

Last edited by Reedy; 05-17-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2022 | 10:59 PM
henrus
Instructor

Default Getting weary of the App’s bugs

Just finished a track day at Sonoma, and in the session where I had the best lap (which was the final lap about 20mins in), the video just stopped recording. The data seems to be there, but no more video. I still have ~20GB of space on the phone so don’t think it was a storage issue. Is there a time limit for video in the app? About 50% of the time, the app just fails for one reason or another. Frustrating.
Old 05-18-2022 | 08:18 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

I did a search on Harry's forum and someone else has already asked the question. He said there is no automotive standard for this stuff so didn't think it was possible, but if solostorm has cracked it then there might be hope yet. Was that using the wifi data feed or OBD? I can use my OBD tool with Harry's already but that only includes basic parameters like speed and RPM, it doesn't include tyre pressures, steering angle or wheel slip.
Solostorm claims to use the car's wifi data feed, in same manner as TPA, so no OBD dongle required.

I've used Laptimer for years, but I like the convenience of just connecting to the car with TPA, and not having to setup GPS and OBD sensors. On the other hand, I like the fact that Laptimer just works fairly reliably.
Old 05-18-2022 | 09:03 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

If PTA was reliable I would forgive it, but it crashes 50% of the sessions I do!
The following users liked this post:
henrus (05-18-2022)
Old 06-19-2022 | 12:17 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

So I did another track day this week and PTP was..... MOSTLY OK. It only crashed in one session, but my fastest lap's data is a bit weird.

Here's the video with data, you'll notice for the first half of the lap the data feed is extremely choppy, but suddenly at the 30 second mark it comes good and is nice and smooth again. I am not sure if this is the phone, the cars GPS, the app itself or what but at least my fastest lap was actually captured. I am planning on getting the new iPhone on release in a couple of months time so hopefully that helps some of the issues I am having, my phone is an iPhone X which is getting a bit long in the tooth these days.

The following 6 users liked this post by Reedy:
henrus (06-19-2022), Last_935 (06-19-2022), matttheboatman (06-20-2022), michaelp (06-19-2022), phefner (06-19-2022), StormRune (06-19-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-2022 | 01:25 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Really like how you have the data and two video feeds organized. Well done.
Old 06-19-2022 | 10:46 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have been getting some decent recordings from the app, now I would like to get at least one of these recordings off of the phone!

Android version here, and I have yet to get one export to work ... very frustrating!
Old 06-19-2022 | 06:12 PM
henrus
Instructor

So I did another track day this week and PTP was..... MOSTLY OK. It only crashed in one session, but my fastest lap's data is a bit weird.

Here's the video with data, you'll notice for the first half of the lap the data feed is extremely choppy, but suddenly at the 30 second mark it comes good and is nice and smooth again. I am not sure if this is the phone, the cars GPS, the app itself or what but at least my fastest lap was actually captured. I am planning on getting the new iPhone on release in a couple of months time so hopefully that helps some of the issues I am having, my phone is an iPhone X which is getting a bit long in the tooth these days
is this from the Track Precision app? I don’t recall seeing a view like this.
Old 06-19-2022 | 07:26 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by henrus
is this from the Track Precision app? I don’t recall seeing a view like this.
I export all the data from track precision and use Racerender to overlay it on the video.
The following users liked this post:
henrus (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022 | 07:40 PM
henrus
Instructor

I export all the data from track precision and use Racerender to overlay it on the video.
What a great idea. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2022 | 09:44 PM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried using a dashcam like the link below instead of a gopro?

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-08-2022 | 10:28 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
Has anyone tried using a dashcam like the link below instead of a gopro?

https://www.amazon.com/Fitcamx-Compa...ps%2C46&sr=8-1
Yes, all my videos are done using a dashcam. Picture quality isn't quite as good as a gopro, but the set and forget nature of it is excellent.
Old 07-09-2022 | 09:16 AM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Yes, all my videos are done using a dashcam. Picture quality isn't quite as good as a gopro, but the set and forget nature of it is excellent.
Thanks @Reedy Which model do you have? Does it pair toTo the phone or to the PCM? Bluetooth or wifi?

Old 07-09-2022 | 02:45 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
Thanks @Reedy Which model do you have? Does it pair toTo the phone or to the PCM? Bluetooth or wifi?
Mine is a BlackVue 2 channel 750x model. It has an app that pairs with a phone but I pull the SD card out for video editing.

It’s difficult to give mine a strong recommendation as the video it records stutters quite a bit. Also the rear camera doesn’t sync seamlessly with the front. I’m sure there are other dashcam models that do a better job but overall mine works well. PCM data is all done post production in racerender.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App