Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: Which do you like better:
GT Silver with Red Top
43.44%
Python Green with Yellow Stitching
56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Contemplating a Python Green Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020 | 03:51 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 458 Posts
Default Contemplating a Python Green Spyder

My current Spyder spec is a conservative GT Silver with red top and Spyder Classic interior. Elegant and pretty. However, I've always been fond of bold colours, and most silvers don't do it for me, though GT Silver is one of the best, and the red top and interior give it a little spice. The Python Green colour is one I'm uncertain about. In the configurator, it looks bold, saturated, and with a hint of yellow, which is what I want. In other photos, it has looked washed out and with a blue tinge, that I don't want. Has anyone seen Python Green in real life? Is it like the configurator shows, or is it washed out like in this photo?

The green will certainly be bolder, but I'm not sure if it will be striking or repulsive. I like the way it looks in the configurator, but hate the green in the photo above. Which would you choose? Here are my specs:

Popular Reply

02-14-2021, 02:44 AM
gamille
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, as I know this is dated, but wanted to update anyone on the fence about Python Green.

I know these are just more pictures and indeed, it’s hard to get an accurate picture of this color... but for those that loved the old viper green, this is pretty special. We just took delivery of our ‘21 Spyder and my wife and I were absolutely breathless when they rolled it out of the trailer. The delivery guy was super complimentary of the color, and my mom and son were blown away. We were takers of Sapphire Blue on the last Spyder and if you aren’t afraid of color or just hate green, this is far more exciting and special. This doesn’t look like those army green photos that pop up occasionally. It’s also darker than the lizard green, with much less yellow tint. We were complaining that the lizard green was pulled... but after seeing both of the colors, we would have ordered the Python without hesitation.

It has been a while since I’ve seen Viper green in person, but that has got to be the closest to it. Keep in mind, the GTI in the garage is silver white, not plain white... as a point of reference.

Old 07-29-2020 | 04:20 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Seeing some more photos, I suspect Python Green is too bright for my taste in real life. In the dimmer photo below, it looks alright to me, but I don't like the way it looks in the first photo in full sunlight here.

Old 07-29-2020 | 04:37 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 865 Posts

Silver, red top, and classic interior is a...well, classic color combination. You're not going to go wrong with this color choice but there will be many other cars out there looking just like you. PG is a very bold color. I've never seen it in person but I wold agree that if it's like the configurator and it's a strong green, I think it would look amazing. I'm not brave enough to buy it for my car but I think it does look beautiful. There is an Excellence issue where the cover story is the GTS 4.0 and I assume those cars are PG. Again, just an assumption so maybe check it out.

If you do go PG, maybe instead of yellow deviated stitching, have you thought of selecting the Lizard Green? Again, I haven't seen Lizard Green but I think it might "match" PG more since it's keeping within the green family of colors.
Old 07-29-2020 | 04:41 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

I’m voting PG, but then that’s what I’m getting on my GT4, so I’m probably biased! ;-)
Old 07-29-2020 | 04:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,792 Likes on 2,774 Posts

@wizee It just has to be Python Green with Lizard Green stitching!

IMHO the reason I think the Cayman you picture looks better is those wheels look like Platinum Satin which would be my choice as well!
Old 07-29-2020 | 04:57 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I need to go to my dealer to see what the colour looks like in person. This post gives some idea: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post16415928

And yes, lizard green stitching and seat belts would be neat.

I feel metallic paint is better at showing the curves of the Spyder. Note how in the post I linked, Mamba Green Metallic gets much darker at an angle than the flat greens. My ideal spec would have Mamba Green Metallic PTS, but PTS is so obscenely expensive that I can't really justify it. Decisions decisions...

Last edited by wizee; 07-29-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2020 | 04:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Seeing some more photos, I suspect Python Green is too bright for my taste in real life. In the dimmer photo below, it looks alright to me, but I don't like the way it looks in the first photo in full sunlight here.

That first photo looks ugly and much different (much lighter, brighter) from most other PG photos I've seen. Makes me rethink PG. How would this look with Silver or Platinum wheels? Here are more pics from the same car. Could it be the camera settings?

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...er/2018/739075

Last edited by hf1; 07-29-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:31 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

If I were to go all out and money be damned (I wish...), I'd do:
  • Mamba Green PTS exterior
  • Mamba Green painted key
  • PCCB (with calipers in yellow)
  • Lizard Green deviated sitching
  • Lizard Green seat belts
  • LWBS with some variation of P1 designs green tartan centres

Last edited by wizee; 07-29-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

If I were to go all out and money be damned (I wish...), I'd do:
  • Mamba Green PTS exterior
  • Mamba Green painted key
  • PCCB (with calipers in yellow)
  • Lizard Green deviated sitching
  • Lizard Green seat belts
  • LWBS with some variation of P1 designs green tartan centres
That build sounds fun.

May I suggest you check out interest.com. I have no affiliation with this site btw. On the site, there is an auto loan calculator. You can build out your car as it is now and it will give you an idea of monthly payments. You can then put in the values for your dream build and compare your monthly payments to see what the difference might be. Maybe your dream build could be in the cards.
Old 07-29-2020 | 07:36 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

If Porsche offered this green I would’ve probably chosen it. It’s a beautiful, sophisticated color.

I honestly don’t understand the fascination with these flat bright Fischer Price colors. Yes, PG is bolder than GT Silver, so is purple with a tiger stripe interior, so what.

The again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 07-29-2020 | 07:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

From the pics in this thread, my problem with PG is not that it's bold (I don't mind that one bit) but that it looks bland and washed out in direct sunlight. I cannot believe how different the car in this thread looks from the ones in the magazine reviews or on Porsche promo pics and videos.

This (which I secretly hope is Lizard and not Python as the website states)...

...looks nothing like this which I strongly prefer:

And the look of PG in the configurator is a joke.
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:22 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
From the pics in this thread, my problem with PG is not that it's bold (I don't mind that one bit) but that it looks bland and washed out in direct sunlight. I cannot believe how different the car in this thread looks from the ones in the magazine reviews or on Porsche promo pics and videos.

And the look of PG in the configurator is a joke.
Yeah, it seems the configurator is way off. The flat, bland, and washed out look in sunlight is what I don't like about Python Green. The Spyder is all about its curves and humps, and it seems Python Green fails to emphasize them.

I think my fairly basic GT Silver/Red Top configuration is great bang for my buck, and the red top and interior at least make it better than Silver and Black cars which are too plain for my taste. However, I've always been fond of uncommon colours (and colours in general). I looked at the approved PTS list, and narrowed it down to colours that appealed to me and were sufficiently different from available options (Iris Blue Metallic is nice but too close to Gentian Blue Metiallic, and not worth $13k extra).
  • Amethyst Metallic
  • Jet Green Metallic
  • Oak Green Metallic
  • Forest Green Metallic
  • Viola Metallic
Out of these options, the greens would need a black interior, top, and brakes to not clash, so I'd need to add contrast stitching for visual interest and pay for black brakes, increasing the cost a bit further. Furthermore, black interiors have never been my preference. With the Viola and Amethyst, I can keep the red brakes, top, and interior, without clashing visually. Between Viola and Amethyst, I liked Amethyst slightly more, so I made a couple crude renders of Amethyst cars with Spyder Classic interior and red top. One is of an Amethyst Speedster that I gave a red top and interior to, and the other is my GT Silver Spyder spec modified to be Amethyst. What do you think? Worth the $13k to not be GT Silver like everyone else?

Last edited by wizee; 07-29-2020 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wah303 (12-22-2021)
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:48 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

I voted Python but I’m biased as well, have a 992 S coming in Python. Here’s a pic of the sample I took at the dealership on a sunny Texas day.
evilfij (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:49 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Color definitely changes depending on lighting, camera, etc. all 3 of these pics a Python:

evilfij (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:52 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it seems the configurator is way off. The flat, bland, and washed out look in sunlight is what I don't like about Python Green. The Spyder is all about its curves and humps, and it seems Python Green fails to emphasize them.

I think my fairly basic GT Silver/Red Top configuration is great bang for my buck, and the red top and interior at least make it better than Silver and Black cars which are too plain for my taste. However, I've always been fond of uncommon colours (and colours in general). I looked at the approved PTS list, and narrowed it down to colours that appealed to me and were sufficiently different from available options (Iris Blue Metallic is nice but too close to Gentian Blue Metiallic, and not worth $13k extra).
  • Amethyst Metallic
  • Jet Green Metallic
  • Oak Green Metallic
  • Forest Green Metallic
  • Viola Metallic
Out of these options, the greens would need a black interior, top, and brakes to not clash, so I'd need to add contrast stitching for visual interest and pay for black brakes, increasing the cost a bit further. Furthermore, black interiors have never been my preference. With the Viola and Amethyst, I can keep the red brakes, top, and interior, without clashing visually. Between Viola and Amethyst, I liked Amethyst slightly more, so I made a couple crude renders of Amethyst cars with Spyder Classic interior and red top. One is of an Amethyst Speedster that I gave a red top and interior to, and the other is my GT Silver Spyder spec modified to be Amethyst. What do you think? Worth the $13k to not be GT Silver like everyone else?

That color and mock up does look stunning even though purple isn't my color and I'm not brave enough to buy it for my own car. $13k is a lot to spend on a color and you would be the only person able to answer if it's worth it to spend that kind of money.

I will say that if you go for the color, the roof should be black and the interior should be black with maybe silver stitching. The outside color is loud enough.
Wah303 (12-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Contemplating a Python Green Spyder