Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
To bend the chassis like that, make the top hat wavy, and shear off part of the top hat, would have taken an immense impact. A defective top hat wouldn’t bend the chassis, and a bent chassis wouldn’t cause the top hat to fail that way either in normal driving. Claiming it happened by itself on the highway without an impact sounds like BS unless it was previously damaged.

Was the wheel damaged?
My gut feeling is also user error but we don't really have enough information from the post. Also the owner may not want to admit fault since he is hoping someone else will pay for what happened...he is out of a spyder now!

There was 2 pictures of the car on the flatbed and it looked like it was perfect on the outside. I don't think the wheels were bent but I bet they are checking that. Looks like the tear down already occurred and they are looking at everything. Just hope we get more information as it comes out....
Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,731 Posts

As far as I know, every previous instance was related to hitting a pothole or going off track

Originally Posted by Archimedes
This. This was not a common problem on the 981 and every instance was due to hitting something. Shame it's not more durable, but it's not a design or manufacturing defect. Don't hit stuff.

That said, I cringe every time I watch a 718 track video where the driver is just pummeling the car over the curbing.
Last year I searched for days and couldn't find a single case that when checked into thoroughly wasn't precipitated by extraordinary impact incidents. I made a number of posts to the other thread here about the GT4 in England that was damaged during a track incident then the idiots tried to pass it off as happening during regular driving on the street...

Last edited by Westcoast; 07-23-2020 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
elevensheep (12-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:14 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Last year I searched for days and couldn't find a single case that when checked into thoroughly wasn't precipitated by extraordinary impact incidents.
Yeah, all the 981 GT4 failures I saw had either obvious impacts involved, or bent rims indicating an impact. With that said, impacts that cause only minor rim bends shouldn’t cause the the strut tower to break like that, and it also happened to 10+ people, indicating a recurring issue.

The failure in this thread is completely different. The 981/982 Boxster chassis is known to be very rigid, has much in common with the Cayman, and I’ve never before heard of the chassis bending like that just hitting an ordinary pothole. The chassis stayed intact and instead bent, and the visibly quite thick top hat sheared. This is a previously unheard of failure mode, and I very much doubt an ordinary pothole could have caused this. It was probably something very big, deep, and extreme, hit at high speed.

Now, as to how could the chassis have bent and top hat sheared without bending the rim, that’s a bit of a mystery. Maybe the owner previously hit something and wrecked the wheel, then replaced the wheel without doing anything about the bent chassis or top hat, and later the top hat crack grew on the highway. However, that sounds unlikely to have happened within 12 days of getting a new car delivered, since even getting a replacement wheel would probably take a while.

Last edited by wizee; 07-23-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:58 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

Yeah, all the 981 GT4 failures I saw had either obvious impacts involved, or bent rims indicating an impact. With that said, impacts that cause only minor rim bends shouldn’t cause the the strut tower to break like that, and it also happened to 10+ people, indicating a recurring issue.

The failure in this thread is completely different. The 981/982 Boxster chassis is known to be very rigid, has much in common with the Cayman, and I’ve never before heard of the chassis bending like that just hitting an ordinary pothole. The chassis stayed intact and instead bent, and the visibly quite thick top hat sheared. This is a previously unheard of failure mode, and I very much doubt an ordinary pothole could have caused this. It was probably something very big, deep, and extreme, hit at high speed.

Now, as to how could the chassis have bent and top hat sheared without bending the rim, that’s a bit of a mystery. Maybe the owner previously hit something and wrecked the wheel, then replaced the wheel without doing anything about the bent chassis or top hat, and later the top hat crack grew on the highway. However, that sounds unlikely to have happened within 12 days of getting a new car delivered, since even getting a replacement wheel would probably take a while.
Yes I think the wavy top hat damage occurred first and then the crack in the top hat eventually gave up later on. But it had to be a major impact to cause that! Let's assume we give him the benefit of doubt (we should support our fellow community member), he said he didn't hit any bumps, etc; it would just be very weird what caused it.....he did not say the mileage he had either.

I looked at the pictures again, the car looks to be at a Porsche dealership and the hub, driveshaft, brakes, suspension are all removed. Engine is still there! On a side note, would be cool to buy the motor and put it in another older model!
Old 07-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

No worries.

Hopefully additional details will be provided. How do you have a car with a popped strut and a twisted frame with apparently no other visible damage? It’s almost as if the car suffered considerable impact to its right rear wheel as if it were dropped from a considerable height. Crazy.

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Everything you said makes sense, I am new to the Porsche brand so didn't know about the boxster was properly designed as open top car. In that case, it should not be a problem.

I know ~20 years ago, my friend had a 911 cab and it would squeak when the car went over the driveway, we both commented how it was a coupe chassis which had the roof chopped off so even with reinforcement, it was not perfect.

I know a properly designed open top chassis should not have any of these concerns. My last car was very stiff and I ran Penske racing shocks with 900/800 pound springs with no problems.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
981 GT4 and 718/982 GT4 use GT3 front ends, rest of 981 and 718 range do not.
I am aware they are different. Hence the reason I'm trying to understand if this issue is caused by the suspension or if the chassis where it's bolted is not strong enough.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:43 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
It's a bizarre post. Apparently its the rear and not the front.

Yes, this is the one that was posted to the Facebook Spyder group. Crazy...
Old 07-26-2020, 11:41 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW - this is crazy indeed.
Hope that front strut tower issue was handled at 718.
I wouldn't put any reinforcement there because if problem happens it's one big excuse for them that it might've been happen BECAUSE of the mod.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:56 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

So, any front failures yet on 718 GT4/Spyders?
Old 12-19-2020, 09:19 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
So, any front failures yet on 718 GT4/Spyders?
None have been reported on Rennlist at least.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As soon as people start hitting ****, we’ll see claims of strut tower ‘failures’ in the 718, just like the 981...
Old 12-19-2020, 10:01 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

None have been reported on Rennlist at least.
I read somewhere that the suspension was a tad softer on the 718 compared to the 981 GT4, I wonder if this will have a positive effect (if true of course).
Old 12-20-2020, 12:26 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I read somewhere that the suspension was a tad softer on the 718 compared to the 981 GT4, I wonder if this will have a positive effect (if true of course).
Softer would make damage more likely. The damage occurs when the suspension is fully compressed and runs out of travel and the forces are directly applied to the chassis. Firmer springs actually help prevent this.

Last edited by GrantG; 12-20-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:36 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Softer would make damage more likely. The damage occurs when the suspension runs out of travel and the forces are directly applied to the chassis. Firmer springs actually help prevent this.
Huh? Suspension stiffness and travel length are independent. You could have really soft (bouncy, floaty) suspension but still have very long travel or really firm suspension and very short (or long) travel. And are you sure you can claim that tower failure on the 981 was due to bottoming out? It could have been, but it certainly could occur without any bottoming. Really stiff suspension can transmit a lot of force without ever bottoming.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:48 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Huh? Suspension stiffness and travel length are independent. You could have really soft (bouncy, floaty) suspension but still have very long travel or really firm suspension and very short (or long) travel. And are you sure you can claim that tower failure on the 981 was due to bottoming out? It could have been, but it certainly could occur without any bottoming. Really stiff suspension can transmit a lot of force without ever bottoming.
When I said softer suspension would make damage more likely, I was assuming no change to the length of travel.

I’m only repeating what was discovered in the investigation of tub damage in 981 and 991 cars and reported on Rennlist. I don’t have any independent data, nor any personal experience with this (thankfully).

Quick Reply: Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder