Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 12:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I will never claim to know everything about anything and make conclusions about something unless I have hard reliable data to make a conclusion from. Anecdotally, sure, you appear to be correct that everyone "hit something". Based on the lack of incidence of this strut tower failure since a rash of ones around the 2017 timeframe, I'll go out on a limb and say there was a run of sub-standard parts making their way into assembly lines. When installed in cars that have low ride heights (981 GT4) without much rubber snubber motion attenuation at limits of shock compression (981 GT4), they were prone to fail at the weakest point. But, that's conjecture on my part, armchair analysis of anecdotal data. Have these cars just stopped "hitting something" and that's why few or no additional failures have occurred for some time?

Recall @Joe Weinstein never "hit something" but he had lowered his car and was a serious autocross competitor. His shock tower failed after hitting a typical dip on a highway like we all hit, i.e. bridge transitions, pavement transitions. Not a pothole, not a curb, typical highway crappy roads. His (I'll conjecture "defective") shock tower was likely weakened by autocross at lowered ride heights, and then upon a bit of road driving, the final stress occurred that caused fracture.

strut tower failure - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
It would seem Joe was unclear about what happened on the freeway, even said this a few posts further along... your speculation that the wheel would be damaged before a strut tower fails is more of the same...
Old 07-24-2021, 01:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Again, weird that everyone who had this failure, hit something hard, and the remaining thousands of owners haven’t had any problems. Very strange.

The following users liked this post:
CaymanMatt (07-24-2021)
Old 08-23-2023, 11:47 PM
onefastgrandma
Track Day

Received 48 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Different failure mode and manufacturing defect?

Reviving this thread as Porsche just discovered issues with my driver side strut tower attach points (2021 GTS 4.0). A different failure mode seemingly, but wheel is very slightly bent leading the dealership to claim it is a user issue (not manufacturing defect). I did not have any major hits but have encountered the odd potholes in traffic despite my best efforts navigating around them.

The initial repair quote is very high as they suggest replacing a variety of corollary parts (steering column, rack, etc). Certified bodyshop did not look at the car yet. As I have ongoing discussions with PCNA due to other warranty issues, I have not yet filed an insurance claim.

Now what seems strange to me is that passenger and driver side look different manufacturing wise. Passenger side shows some coating on attach points, driver side does not… As if something was forgotten on the driver side possibly leading to this issue.

Is anybody able to check their cars both sides to see what yours look like?

Driver side, no coating (the two attach points separated from the chassis)

Passenger side, with coating
Old 08-24-2023, 01:02 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@onefastgrandma I looked at my car, sorry I would need to take the wheels off for pictures!

But what I see on the driver's side is no seam sealer on either mount point, and both mounts are tight to the body structure. On the passenger side, there is some seam sealer on the rear mount but not the front, again both mount points are tight. The coating (seam sealer) has nothing to do with the separation, that was caused by something else.

I would be curious if those mount point are affixed, can you slide a thin metal or plastic strip in behind the driver's side mount so see if it hits a bolt or stud, perhaps they are only positioning tabs? Still, they should not have moved.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:18 PM
onefastgrandma
Track Day

Thank you for checking on your car. Unfortunately, I also don’t have good access to get in it now that it’s off the dealer lift.

I looked at part diagrams (991-501-477-00 GRV), and couldn’t see anything else protruding from the tabs (or additional parts to connect with chassis). From what I read in this thread and another similar one on 991, it seems like strong adhesives are used in the assembly of the strut tower. That’s why I was curious about the lack of seam sealer (perhaps indicating a lack of adhesive too?).
Old 08-24-2023, 01:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastgrandma
Thank you for checking on your car. Unfortunately, I also don’t have good access to get in it now that it’s off the dealer lift.

I looked at part diagrams (991-501-477-00 GRV), and couldn’t see anything else protruding from the tabs (or additional parts to connect with chassis). From what I read in this thread and another similar one on 991, it seems like strong adhesives are used in the assembly of the strut tower. That’s why I was curious about the lack of seam sealer (perhaps indicating a lack of adhesive too?).
From your picture of the driver's side, I don't see any residual adhesive under that forward tab, the metal looks clean and bare, hence my question about carefully sliding something through that gap to determine if there is anything in there.

The assembly of the frame and the additional components is completed long before the seam sealer is applied, they are at two different stages of construction.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:43 PM
onefastgrandma
Track Day

Just tried squeezing my hand in the wheel well and slip a business card in the gap. There is no gap while suspension is loaded with car on the ground.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastgrandma
Just tried squeezing my hand in the wheel well and slip a business card in the gap. There is no gap while suspension is loaded with car on the ground.
Wow! so it is actually loose, I am surprised that they let you take the car away!

I personally would not drive the car until this is repaired properly, there is no way that the strut tower mount should move like that.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:39 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Porsche like to kill their customers time to time

Seriously it's the same problem happened to (too many) 991 (i have seen only RS, one in person )
which the 718 chassis is derived from (991)

from the web

Last edited by fxz; 08-25-2023 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:12 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 345 Posts

Have you guys watched the new savagegeese GT4RS video. They mentioned when going over the parts diagram that the 718 Spyder/GT4/GT4RS all received a revised / strengthened shock tower. This was the first I've ever heard of it. I understand the 4RS uses the C4S front clip, but never heard anything about revised towers for these cars...

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 08-26-2023, 01:14 AM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by stitchtosample
Have you guys watched the new savagegeese GT4RS video. They mentioned when going over the parts diagram that the 718 Spyder/GT4/GT4RS all received a revised / strengthened shock tower. This was the first I've ever heard of it. I understand the 4RS uses the C4S front clip, but never heard anything about revised towers for these cars...
I had asked the performance shop here about suspension upgrades and they first wanted to know if I was on a 981 or 718 GT4 as they apparently insist on reinforcement on the 981. Did not press our know if that means a 718 GT4 is any different than the rest of the 718s.

Quick Reply: Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder