Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 09:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
981 had the GT3 front end too.
The 981 GT4 did, not the 981 Spyder. Now in 718 they both have it.

Not sure it's a worthy plus for the 4.0. The issue isn't as common as the forums let on.
Definitely not worthy on its own. There's a pro/con list to which this item gets added.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:11 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The 981 GT4 did, not the 981 Spyder. Now in 718 they both have it.
Yes that's right. Was thinking of what I owned, 981 GT4.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:13 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

For a car that was introduced to the buying public by overtly showcasing these cars getting tossed about over aggressive curbing at Knockhill, this just makes it that much more absurd.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (07-21-2021)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Curious. Wonder if it is a casting, material, or QC issue.
From the prior 981 thread on this issue, discussing what one owner did to check this:

"The OP even went so far as to send out his broken tower to a very high end testing facility who determined that while there was a previously existing crack that was then blown out by the pothole, they found no casting imperfections and did discern the alloy used was a "very strong" one."
Old 07-22-2020, 09:25 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 981.CS
Thanks for sharing, this bothers me less that it's the rear. Total fluke occurence is what I'm hoping here, never heard of rears blowing the towers.
Yeah, the rear shock tower blowing would be unrelated to the 981 GT4 issue. Shock towers blowing is bad regarless of where it happens, but there is no history of rears blowing on the 981 GT4, and this may be a fluke caused by a manufacturing defect.

This thread may be a false alarm then, unless someone else has a front or rear shock tower failure.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:25 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

So then, it seems that perhaps the tower's are not designed to sustain the loads imposed by the GT3 suspension.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:27 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I do not buy the excuse that this type of failure is acceptable because it is a high performance vehicle, those two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of cars (including Porsches) that handle well and do not shatter over potholes.

In the suspension, the strut tower is the worst possible component that could fail. It is difficult to fix, expensive to repair and cannot be replaced with a more durable part. If it was anything else it wouldn’t be as big of a deal as the wheel, control arm, anti-roll bar, shock, spring, etc. are serviceable in a home garage with basic tools & knowledge and can be upgraded with a different part.

I wouldn’t let this get in the way of buying the car if I really wanted it but it would be on my mind and I’d be extra cautious about road quality, bumps, berms, etc.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
From the prior 981 thread on this issue, discussing what one owner did to check this:

"The OP even went so far as to send out his broken tower to a very high end testing facility who determined that while there was a previously existing crack that was then blown out by the pothole, they found no casting imperfections and did discern the alloy used was a "very strong" one."
[QUOTE=dmk2;16792703

So then, it seems that perhaps the towers are not designed to sustain the loads imposed by the GT3 suspension
Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
It's a bizarre post. Apparently its the rear and not the front.

There were several comments in German that were translated. Hard to follow. Supposedly happened while on the hwy while in 4th gear. He said that he did not hit a bump.
Can you provide a link or is it a closed group? Would be interested in reading the original German posts. PAG did indicate that on the 981 they had to reinforce the rear mounting points.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:40 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure if a rear failure is better than a front failure but very interesting. It looks like the shock ripped up the top hat on some type of compression event but the owner says no bump.

For those familiar with the rear suspension on these cars, how does that look? The top hat is obviously busted but it is unclear to me if the strut tower is damaged. To my untrained eye it looks OK. If it isn’t then that is a much less expensive repair then the traditional strut tower failure.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Not sure if a rear failure is better than a front failure but very interesting. It looks like the shock ripped up the top hat on some type of compression event but the owner says no bump.

For those familiar with the rear suspension on these cars, how does that look? The top hat is obviously busted but it is unclear to me if the strut tower is damaged. To my untrained eye it looks OK. If it isn’t then that is a much less expensive repair then the traditional strut tower failure.
If the top is gone, the tower is gone. You bust, you replace the struts. You don't take a chance down the road for later.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Yeah, it looks like the replaceable bolt on mount failed rather than the tower.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

+the way it's torn, really looks like something whacked suspension real hard to create enough force to rip that top hat side ways. Hard to believe the owner didn't do anything, there's probably more to this story...
Old 07-22-2020, 10:22 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

Possibly damaged during transport before delivery?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

It's a bizarre post. Apparently its the rear and not the front.

That looks like a tension failure. It looks like the top of the shock tore when the suspension was unloaded. Maybe they were doing a Dukes of Hazard jump. Even so, it would be really bizarre for it to tear just under the force of gravity (weight of the suspension hanging down), but it sure looks like a tension failure. The shock tower looks ok. And a rear failure would we far easier to fix since there is nothing else really going on back there. Quite strange.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
+the way it's torn, really looks like something whacked suspension real hard to create enough force to rip that top hat side ways. Hard to believe the owner didn't do anything, there's probably more to this story...
For sure. Pretty unlikely that this damage just happened with no outside force.

Quick Reply: Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder