Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
I'd argue that it's normal to hit potholes and steps on road. They're just a fact of life. Often they're unavoidable, and every other car that drives an order of magnitude more mileage in regions with crappier roads can handle them without destroying strut towers. Cars should be tolerant of hitting routine potholes. I've hit hundreds of potholes in my life, some of which bottomed out suspensions. Some were avoidable, some were not.
And the impacts that caused the strut tower failure were likely all very big potholes and very large impacts. If this were a common issue, there would have been hundreds of failures and a class action lawsuit. I'll bet the sum total of strut tower failures discussed here and on P9 were 10 or less.
The following users liked this post:
JSF101 (12-19-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:25 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Did you know 991.1 GT3 engines caught fire? Major issue that Porsche finally caved in on and supported replacements with extended warranties.
991.1 GT3 engine fires were the result of con rod bolt failures and PAG quickly stopped production and sales. After investigation all the cars sold had engines replaced (roughly 800 iirc) and owners were compensated for loss of use. The finger follower issue emerged later and while it took some time, PAG acknowledged the problem and extended the engine warranty. Although disappointing to have such issues I think Porsche handled the 991.1 GT3 engine problems reasonably. M96 engine issues is a different story.

On the 718GT4 CS, there is a metal plate on the shock tower which is bolted via a rod to the front bulkhead and also bolted to an extension tube of the roll cage.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:31 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You're comparing a lightweight, high performance suspension system to a heavy, pedestrian system, the latter of which is optimized for the street, to soak up potholes, insulate the driver from the road, etc. Would you prefer that your GT4 had a Camry front end?
Come on man, you know what I'm saying. Good grief. Do you truthfully believe that it has to be built this way. On the edge of safety and strength so the
car can handle better? They could redesign or add more material and still figure it out.

Hey someone please post the Facebook Spyder post for us non Facebook people. Thanks!

Rxpert (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
I'd argue that it's normal to hit potholes and steps on road. They're just a fact of life. Often they're unavoidable, and every other car that drives an order of magnitude more mileage in regions with crappier roads can handle them without destroying strut towers. Cars should be tolerant of hitting routine potholes. I've hit hundreds of potholes in my life, some of which bottomed out suspensions. Some were avoidable, some were not.
This. We're not talking about a GT4 clubsport that'll never see street use. These are $100k+ street cars with license plates that need to get from point A to point B. Most of the roads in Germany are paved with gold, but outside of that bubble, you're going to run into stuff.

Here in NYC and the tri-state area, potholes and seams are unavoidable. I've cracked wheels, but never wrecked a strut tower.

Hell, a few years ago, I was driving at speed on the expressway in my old MKV GTI, and hit a pothole so bad the windshield cracked, radio flew out of the dash, blew a tire and bent two wheels. The engine shut off and the battery tray broke! I'm surprised the airbags didn't go off. All that, and the towers were totally fine. It's hard to justify fragile aluminum towers on a street car that can also be optioned with AC, double din nav radio and leather dash. And you can draw all the comparisons to the GT3 you want, but that's apples to oranges when you consider different shock stroke and/or springs.

Last edited by f50nut; 07-22-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Rxpert (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:37 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I don't have photos to post, but a guy on the Facebook Spyder group experienced complete shock tower failure on his 12 day old Spyder - in street driving! I don't know much more than that, but this issue had of course previously occurred with 981 GT4s; I had not previously heard of this issue occurring with the 718 chassis.
That sucks...let us know the details, because without it, this could be poor driving and bad luck hitting a massive pot hole. Yea, a car shouldn't blow its strut tower after a pot hole, it is what it is. All GT cars generally have this problem, but GT4 are a little worse since the travel is a little shorter than the 991 GT3s.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:45 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

The SPMS Racing strut tower brace?? While it won't prevent the strut tower from cracking/breaking it seems, gotta think that if it prevents the tower from shooting up through the hood, that it more than pays for itself?? $495 for a set.
What's a new/repaired hood going to cost?? More than that I would guess? Anyone have these installed? https://www.spmsracing.com/2015-2016...rt-bracket-kit
Old 07-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

Go to the GT4 forum and look at the top. There is a sticky. Very, very few failures but they do occur. The clubsport plate is there to stop the strut going thru the frunk lid. They have happened in competition and on roads (one up Pikes Peak if you search).

Some people's insurance covers the damage (pothole impact for example). Fix is c USD20-25k.

Obv not on track.

The people running the GT4CS have access to training to learn how to reapir.

Not great.

R

Last edited by Snowy999; 07-23-2020 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:49 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowy999
Fix is c USD2-25k.

That's quite the range!!

Question - am I correct to assume that those that choose to lower the car (it has adjustable coils) like the CarswithLuke guy (believe he lowered 14mm) are potentially exacerbating the issue and increasing their odds of having this happen??
Old 07-22-2020, 06:55 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

This is depressing, I thought Porsche would have worked this out between generations.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:58 PM
flatt6
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Hoping we get pics and more details soon. Agree with the comments the strut tower issue on the 981 was very uncommon. It seemed bigger given so much attention to a very small number of incidents that appeared to be related to some other acute event. All that being said, it's very troubling that this has popped up again in such a short amount of time.

The following 2 users liked this post by flatt6:
Denny Swift (07-22-2020), JSF101 (12-20-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:01 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Stuff breaks, but this is not stuff.

This is the very structure of the car.

Years ago a colleague had a GM truck with an unusual frame rail defect that was the source of a subtle, but uncorrectable alignment problem.

GM replaced the truck with an identical new one. Vehicle was nearly a year old.

Porsche should be doing the same for owners with strut tower failures.
CaymanMatt (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:17 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd say: 1) really unfortunate that this seems to be an issue. Porsche should have reengineered the crap out of that region before re-releasing the GT4. 2) Can you say "Lemon Law"? This will the best recourse if Porsche doesn't do right for the owners of those affected.
MOO
Old 07-22-2020, 07:37 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

You're comparing a lightweight, high performance suspension system to a heavy, pedestrian system, the latter of which is optimized for the street, to soak up potholes, insulate the driver from the road, etc. Would you prefer that your GT4 had a Camry front end?
Come on, the Camry is designed to be driven by little old ladies who will likely never get the car above 70 mph, while the GT4/Spyder are designed to be tracked and taken to the limit regularly. If anything, the latter should be able to take much more punishment. You're not really implying that adding 3mm of aluminum to the thickness of the strut housing would be too much to ask of Porsche, are you? Equating the addition of a little bit of extra reinforcement to a Camry front end is quite a leap.

And the impacts that caused the strut tower failure were likely all very big potholes and very large impacts.
Objection! I ask the jury to strike that from the record! The witness is jumping to conclusions based purely on speculation. :-)

If this were a common issue, there would have been hundreds of failures and a class action lawsuit. I'll bet the sum total of strut tower failures discussed here and on P9 were 10 or less.
And regarding the failures not being "common"... There were only 2,400 GT4s made. If there truly were 10 failures that we know of (there were undoubtedly more), that's equivalent to 4,000 - 5,000 of the million or so Camry's on the road. Again, we don't have any information on the one 718 failure that we know of so far.

(Sorry to pick on you! :-) )
The following 3 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
Jawnathin (07-22-2020), Vgj (07-26-2020), wizee (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911F1
Come on man, you know what I'm saying. Good grief. Do you truthfully believe that it has to be built this way.
Do you truthfully believe that Porsche doesn't know what they're doing, that they concluded that it is a design flaw, and still decided to just keep building cars like this? A very small group of people hit stuff and destroyed their shock towers, while the other 99% of cars out there have had no such problem. I'm sure Porsche took a look at it; they'd be stupid not to, given the potential liability involved. And I'm comfortable that they concluded that the design is fine and people should just not hit ****.

Now, if we start seeing dozens of cars failing, I might change my view, but this is a problem that only a tiny fraction of cars have had. Kinda like the 'oh my God, a pebble is almost certainly going to destroy my PCCB's, because one guy posted about it on a GT3 two years ago!' A lot of hand wringing over something that is a very, very low probability event.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Come on, the Camry is designed to be driven by little old ladies who will likely never get the car above 70 mph, while the GT4/Spyder are designed to be tracked and taken to the limit regularly. If anything, the latter should be able to take much more punishment. You're not really implying that adding 3mm of aluminum to the thickness of the strut housing would be too much to ask of Porsche, are you? Equating the addition of a little bit of extra reinforcement to a Camry front end is quite a leap.

Objection! I ask the jury to strike that from the record! The witness is jumping to conclusions based purely on speculation. :-)

And regarding the failures not being "common"... There were only 2,400 GT4s made. If there truly were 10 failures that we know of (there were undoubtedly more), that's equivalent to 4,000 - 5,000 of the million or so Camry's on the road. Again, we don't have any information on the one 718 failure that we know of so far.

(Sorry to pick on you! :-) )
Ten was my high guess, which would be a failure rate of .4%. Pretty small for a car that gets routinely thrashed on the track. And everyone I read about was due to a track off or hitting curbing, so you can't even call those 'failures'.

And this isn't a Camry. It's a high performance sports car, with stiff suspension, where light weight is at a premium. It's not going to be as durable to impact as a Camry or a Ram truck. It is not designed to take massive impacts and be able to dissipate force like a car with softer suspension.

Quick Reply: Shock tower failure on 718 Spyder