Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gear 1-2 grind

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021 | 12:07 PM
Spyder8286
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I don’t know what you guys mean by ‘go through neutral’. Every shift goes through neutral, it’s just how fast you do it. My shift process is a quick two step process. First step is leave first and find the second gate, second step is pulling into second. It’s very quick and almost not noticeable, but still a snick-snick versus just slamming it back in one motion. Zero grinds at any rpm as long as I time the loud pedal properly.
Neutral, meaning between 3 and 4. Frankly, it's just slowing the 1-2 shift and giving the synchro a chance to catch up. Yes, timing the loud pedal also works as that is essentially matching revs on the upshift, but that's what the synchro is supposed to do. I posted this earlier, but watch this review. He goes through neutral (and actually double-clutches) every shift; every gear. Skip to 1:26 for the first example.
Old 07-12-2021 | 12:13 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Originally Posted by hadokenny
So quick update! I had pretty frequent 1-2 grinds up to around 3500 miles. The grinding seems to have disappeared completely after I took the car to Streets of Willow. May be I just haven't been driving my car hard enough prior to that to give the tranny a good break-in? I haven't had a grind *knock on wood* in the past 500 miles!
Hate to break it to you, I felt the same way after a really fun track day about 8 weeks ago, the car definitely runs better after opening it up and the grind disappeared for a few weeks then I got 3 random 1-2 grinds (2 4 weeks ago and one last week)
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder8286
Neutral, meaning between 3 and 4. Frankly, it's just slowing the 1-2 shift and giving the synchro a chance to catch up. Yes, timing the loud pedal also works as that is essentially matching revs on the upshift, but that's what the synchro is supposed to do. I posted this earlier, but watch this review. He goes through neutral (and actually double-clutches) every shift; every gear. Skip to 1:26 for the first example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiPYzRfuEfM
What do you mean by this... anytime you are not in gear you are essentially in neutral.

As for double clutching, I almost always do it come down in gears but never going up, you shouldn't have to. The reviewer in the video obviously developed this as a habit on a transmission that required/benefits from that extra step and does it out of habit now.
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:41 PM
Spyder8286
Advanced

Originally Posted by Westcoast
What do you mean by this... anytime you are not in gear you are essentially in neutral.

As for double clutching, I almost always do it come down in gears but never going up, you shouldn't have to. The reviewer in the video obviously developed this as a habit on a transmission that required/benefits from that extra step and does it out of habit now.
I suppose anywhere that the car isn't in gear is neutral, but I think of neutral as being between 3 and 4 (i.e., when people accidentally leave/park the car "in neutral," the gear lever isn't between 1 and 2; it's between 3 and 4) . Either way, it doesn't matter. This whole exercise is merely to point out that I think we're getting the grind when we shift too quickly between 1 and 2 and "beat the synchro." That being said, even if you don't usually slam through the gears, you should be able to if you want to. These are $100k (+) performance cars. Every BMW and every Porsche I had before this could be shifted as hard as the driver wanted. Porsche needs to fix it.
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:50 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I suppose anywhere that the car isn't in gear is neutral, but I think of neutral as being between 3 and 4 (i.e., when people accidentally leave/park the car "in neutral," the gear lever isn't between 1 and 2; it's between 3 and 4) . Either way, it doesn't matter. This whole exercise is merely to point out that I think we're getting the grind when we shift too quickly between 1 and 2 and "beat the synchro." That being said, even if you don't usually slam through the gears, you should be able to if you want to. These are $100k (+) performance cars. Every BMW and every Porsche I had before this could be shifted as hard as the driver wanted. Porsche needs to fix it.
Gotcha! Yes under those circumstances it rests there... and agree the second gear syncro seems weak in these cars, where it should by rights be one of the most capable given its requirements.
Old 07-12-2021 | 04:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Neutral, meaning between 3 and 4. Frankly, it's just slowing the 1-2 shift and giving the synchro a chance to catch up. Yes, timing the loud pedal also works as that is essentially matching revs on the upshift, but that's what the synchro is supposed to do. I posted this earlier, but watch this review. He goes through neutral (and actually double-clutches) every shift; every gear. Skip to 1:26 for the first example.
Yeah, that's moronic and totally unnecessary to avoid the grind. Who would drive like that all day?

Someone needs to tell him he's not driving a 74 MG.

Last edited by Archimedes; 07-12-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2021 | 04:35 PM
Spyder8286
Advanced

Yeah, that's moronic and totally unnecessary to avoid the grind. Who would drive like that all day?

Someone needs to tell him he's not driving a 74 MG.
Completely agree. I'm doing a "lite" version of that. No double clutching, but when I come out of first I allow the lever to slide to the right into "neutral" and then I go back to the left and down into 2nd. I do it all in one constant motion and relatively quickly. Alternatively, I think just hesitating for a breath between 1 and 2 will accomplish the same thing... the so called snick, snick style that others have mentioned. I'm not saying any of this is an acceptable solution or that Porsche is off the hook, but shifting this way has eliminated the grind for me and, more importantly, allowed me to enjoy the car again without the constant wonder of whether that particular 1-2 shift will be a grind shift.
The following users liked this post:
SC1 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-12-2021 | 05:06 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast

I tried double clutching on the 1->2 shift. It doesn't stop the grind. The grind happens before the gate at 2.
Old 07-12-2021 | 06:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Rev the car up to 5k in first, then clutch all the way to the floor, fully off the gas, pull gear shift lever out of first and against the gate into second (for a millisecond), then pull it into second. Do it rapidly but deliberately, and there will be no grind. Slam it straight back from first to second and you may get a grind, likely because you're not finding the gate precisely and/or you're not fully off the gas at the right timing. This gearbox demands preciseness between first and second, it's that simple.
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:22 AM
My21Cayman
Cruisin'

Try this-- do ten 1-2 shifts at any rpm you like, but shift almost as fast as you can move your hand. Then, do ten 1-2 shifts, but go through neutral between 1 and 2. You can shift pretty briskly, but make sure you go through neutral before going into 2nd. For me, the first method resulted in 5 grinds out of the 10 shifts. I've probably done the 1-2 shift 100 times going through neutral since then and never once had a grind. This is why I'm convinced it's a bad 1-2 synchro on these cars. For reference, I did this test with about 1,400 on my car. About 1,900 miles on it now.
I'll give this a try. Thank you! But I still contend this is not something we should have to deal with in cars of this caliber.
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:30 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Rev the car up to 5k in first, then clutch all the way to the floor, fully off the gas, pull gear shift lever out of first and against the gate into second (for a millisecond), then pull it into second. Do it rapidly but deliberately, and there will be no grind. Slam it straight back from first to second and you may get a grind, likely because you're not finding the gate precisely and/or you're not fully off the gas at the right timing. This gearbox demands preciseness between first and second, it's that simple.
Correct statement: the syncros appear to be inadequately spec'd.
unclemat (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 12:03 AM
unclemat
Pro

Originally Posted by enduro
Correct statement: the syncros appear to be inadequately spec'd.
This did not seem to be an issue for earlier 718 years. Something changed in the production that is causing these issues. And based on the reports it is not 4.0 specific.

There is very few of these newer cars around, and only fraction of owners show up on rennlist.
Old 07-14-2021 | 12:22 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by unclemat
This did not seem to be an issue for earlier 718 years. Something changed in the production that is causing these issues. And based on the reports it is not 4.0 specific.

There is very few of these newer cars around, and only fraction of owners show up on rennlist.
What earlier years? The 718 GT4/ Spyder just came out in 2020 and those cars are well represented here.
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:59 AM
Spyder8286
Advanced

Originally Posted by unclemat

This has been an issue going back to the 981 GT4. I'm not sure how much it affected the early 4 cylinder 982 cars, but I have seen owners of those cars discussing it as well.

Edit: Here is the 2016 discussion-- https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...nd-update.html

Last edited by Spyder8286; 07-14-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:13 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Back in post 564 unclemat asked if anyone has a car that is completely grind-free. As far as I see, I’m the only one who posted yes! Can that really be the case? Granted not every GT4/Spyder owner is on this forum, but it’s still quite disconcerting. Can the OP turn this into a poll?
unclemat (07-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Gear 1-2 grind