Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gear 1-2 grind

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:29 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Dear All,

As a 718 Spyder owner from new, I have experienced the same random 1st to 2nd gear grinding. seems like a normal process with a NEW box during break in period, and the Porsche owner manuel states that as well. Now that I have rancked up the miles ( 4000km ), the 1st to 2nd grind is rarely noticed. It did happen once or twice during fast shifting at top end redline, 1st to 2nd. So, I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else.

On another note, here is something NEW i started to notice.............

Now that my break in period is done, I started pushing the car to its limits nearing red line. I always like to drive the car with auto blip button activated. Pulling hard in 3rd gear, hit the brakes and try to downshift into 2nd, the car refuses to engage 2nd gear. This happened to me a few times recently. Felt strange that the gearbox is not responding to my input. This got me wondering, did Porsche install some sort of safety system which prevents the downshift to occur if the computer reads that you could over rev or hit redline during downshifts!? not sure! anyone else here have a similar experience, or knows about a safety system like that?

Just to clarify, this issue of downshifting from 3rd to 2nd only happened to me when I was asking the car to come down the gears at a fast rate and the car was almost at redline in 3rd, HARD braking and into 2nd. The downshift won't occur ( Auto blip ) activated.

On the other hand, when cruising or pushing at 70 - 80 % , and asking to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, no problem what so ever.

your feedback would be appreciated.
Why would you downshift from 3rd to 2nd at redline, it can cause money shift. Its good the car prevents you from doing it.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Why would you downshift from 3rd to 2nd at redline, it can cause money shift. Its good the car prevents you from doing it.
I don’t attempt to downshift from 3rd redline to 2nd, only after slamming on the brakes to scrub off a lot of speed.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:09 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Agreed no more for me after break in Uncledude note of my post pic of the running in period section of the manual woke me up to get ready for the grind. Had not picked it up on my first read hidden in the P cliff notes.
It's one thing for it to be stiff like the manual says, but it still shouldn't grind.

Originally Posted by boss2k
I doubt the car prevents a money shift, I could be wrong, but I'd look for more confirmation.
The following users liked this post:
k3rn3l (06-20-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 12:26 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
It's one thing for it to be stiff like the manual says, but it still shouldn't grind.

The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
MannyLon (01-06-2021), minn19 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:03 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
It's one thing for it to be stiff like the manual says, but it still shouldn't grind
The pic post was a P cliif note joke thanks, I got the it should not grind part
minn19 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:06 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
The pic post was a P cliif note joke thanks, I got the it should not grind part
Gotcha, sorry.

While I'm at it (stating the obvious), dealers should have C40 oil the manual calls for.....
FASTRKMAN (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:14 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

No worries mate! The grind broke my heart in the first 1-2000kms thought I needed to go back to driving school. Before it was put away I was around 15,000kms and it shifts like butter no issues even when power shifting. But as noted by another RL member the key is to keep your shift pattern clean no sloppy up and down it helps. Now the oil that's another P mystery no luck up north here either.
minn19 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 03:55 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Dear All,

As a 718 Spyder owner from new, I have experienced the same random 1st to 2nd gear grinding. seems like a normal process with a NEW box during break in period, and the Porsche owner manuel states that as well. Now that I have rancked up the miles ( 4000km ), the 1st to 2nd grind is rarely noticed. It did happen once or twice during fast shifting at top end redline, 1st to 2nd. So, I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else.

Now that my break in period is done, I started pushing the car to its limits nearing red line. I always like to drive the car with auto blip button activated. Pulling hard in 3rd gear, hit the brakes and try to downshift into 2nd, the car refuses to engage 2nd gear. This happened to me a few times recently. Felt strange that the gearbox is not responding to my input. This got me wondering, did Porsche install some sort of safety system which prevents the downshift to occur if the computer reads that you could over rev or hit redline during downshifts!? not sure! anyone else here have a similar experience, or knows about a safety system like that?

Just to clarify, this issue of downshifting from 3rd to 2nd only happened to me when I was asking the car to come down the gears at a fast rate and the car was almost at redline in 3rd, HARD braking and into 2nd. The downshift won't occur ( Auto blip ) activated.

On the other hand, when cruising or pushing at 70 - 80 % , and asking to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, no problem what so ever.

Nope, I haven't experienced any issue except 1->2. Otherwise the shifter is fantastic at all speeds. If you get it out of 3d gear, and feel blocked into 2nd, then you hit the 2nd gate. In the 1->2 grind issue, 1st won't disengage properly.
Mash (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:02 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Dear All,

If I had to hazard a guess based on my own experience with a similar situation in my GT4, you're catching on the notch for the reverse gear instead of making it to 2nd. I noticed this was happening to me when I was trying to "push" a bit more on track, and was rushing the downshift a bit. Rushing the shift was causing me to over-accentuate the pull of the gear lever to the left before pulling backwards into 2nd (instead of more straight back/angled back pull). Many times it was fine, but every once in a while as I was really starting to try and hussle the car, I'd snag the reverse gear gate. Whenever that started to occur, I'd focus on smoothing out a bit and settling myself down, and magically every 3-2 downshift was smooth as butter.
The following 2 users liked this post by SnoBdrAK:
FASTRKMAN (01-06-2021), Mash (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:18 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts

I had a low speed downshift 3>2 with a little grind today at 850 miles, first downshift grind ever.
Haven't had an upshift 1>2 grind in 500 miles.
Weird.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:14 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

...4000+km / 2500+miles on it and not one more grind to report
Old 01-06-2021, 11:18 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 245 Posts

I’m not gonna read this whole thread but I’ve got 3600 miles and the tranny is buttery smooth. Don’t force shifts and no speed ****s while breaking in and you’ll have no problems.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:31 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
I’m not gonna read this whole thread but I’ve got 3600 miles and the tranny is buttery smooth. Don’t force shifts and no speed ****s while breaking in and you’ll have no problems.
ok, so you post to a thread you didn't read and make these comments? Kinda useless, so please do us a favor, read the posts before you post so you don't look silly, because you surely do.
MannyLon (01-07-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
Yeah, you might want to actually read the thread, and the prior thread on the 981 GT4, before posting this. It has nothing to do with forced shifts or speed shifts.
MannyLon (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 12:28 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

3,000 miles now and haven't had a gear grind in at least 500 miles. So maybe I finally wore it down?!

Quick Reply: Gear 1-2 grind