Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder allocation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 01:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
While Mike seems like a good guy, another sales guy there verbally agreed to a Spyder at MSRP, then they said sorry 10K over, then 8K over or BO... no grudge but CA dealers aren't interested in relationships. I have a hard time giving them my $ let alone repeat business.

Told another local dealer I was going to buy 2 cars this year, call me when they had a 992 with 4/18-ways or anything with buckets to drive. Left name and card - still no reply 6 months later. These are terrible businesses. Contrast that with BMW dealers who work hard to find me the right car and deal. <Rant off>

There will be cars around, I am going to call those who helped me last time when I bought my 991 first
I totally agree with you on the general behavior of a lot of dealers and SA's - I think all the money in Ca has made them lazy and a little contemptuous of customers and customer service ... sadly I think we have to deal with the devil in order to get the cars we want!
Old 07-22-2020 | 01:16 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

While Mike seems like a good guy, another sales guy there verbally agreed to a Spyder at MSRP, then they said sorry 10K over, then 8K over or BO... no grudge but CA dealers aren't interested in relationships. I have a hard time giving them my $ let alone repeat business.

Told another local dealer I was going to buy 2 cars this year, call me when they had a 992 with 4/18-ways or anything with buckets to drive. Left name and card - still no reply 6 months later. These are terrible businesses. Contrast that with BMW dealers who work hard to find me the right car and deal. <Rant off>

There will be cars around, I am going to call those who helped me last time when I bought my 991 first
Everybody's experience is unique and I can say that I've had my fair share of BMW experience and every time I walked into a BMW dealer when I was shopping, not one person ever walked up to me. BMW dealers are notorious for having terrible sales tactics and just being plain crappy. To be honest, when we went shopping for our Spyder, we expected the same when we went to the Porsche dealers and surprisingly, every single dealer that we went to, we were very promptly greeted either by a SA or sales manger who then introduced us to an SA. My wife and I were very surprised.

Some dealers took our info and said they would give us a call and I've learned over the years that taking our info means absolutely nothing. I think what it means is that who ever enters your info "claims" you as a customer so if you do really come back to purchase and you start the car buying process with another SA, the original person that took your info gets to put dibs on you. I don't know this for certain but it's my guess because taking our info and doing absolutely nothing with it seems to be a very common practice in the car industry and I've alway wondered why go to the effort of taking someone's info if you're not going to actively "ask for the business."

If you're serious about buying a car in CA, I would recommend you try my method of sending emails as that has been very successful for me. ...or PM if you would like the contact info of my SA.
Old 07-22-2020 | 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Everybody's experience is unique and I can say that I've had my fair share of BMW experience and every time I walked into a BMW dealer when I was shopping, not one person ever walked up to me. BMW dealers are notorious for having terrible sales tactics and just being plain crappy. To be honest, when we went shopping for our Spyder, we expected the same when we went to the Porsche dealers and surprisingly, every single dealer that we went to, we were very promptly greeted either by a SA or sales manger who then introduced us to an SA. My wife and I were very surprised.

Some dealers took our info and said they would give us a call and I've learned over the years that taking our info means absolutely nothing. I think what it means is that who ever enters your info "claims" you as a customer so if you do really come back to purchase and you start the car buying process with another SA, the original person that took your info gets to put dibs on you. I don't know this for certain but it's my guess because taking our info and doing absolutely nothing with it seems to be a very common practice in the car industry and I've alway wondered why go to the effort of taking someone's info if you're not going to actively "ask for the business."

If you're serious about buying a car in CA, I would recommend you try my method of sending emails as that has been very successful for me. ...or PM if you would like the contact info of my SA.
there are a number of Bay Area BMW dealership that are notorious; for example BMW of Mountain View are, or were, well known for not allowing real customers to test drive M-Cars ...

bottom line, I think our expectations are seldom met by dealership sales people...
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:25 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

You don't say where you live @halfmonkey but I can tell you Bay Area is different. Completely useless sales appendages, at best call me when you want to order people. I wish it were different, as it makes my purchases of any P-car challenging from anywhere as the wife literally *hates* the brand.

PCNA I am sure knows in their surveys, as we've complained and received, err, empathy cards

In contrast, SF BMW and Oakland BMW are both decent operations. Not perfect, and there are always sales people as individuals, but I've met the management and they are car people and at least useful for you to test out cars and learn what you really want.

In the BA sending you an email blast with inventory they can't sell is their idea of managing relationships.

YMMV. Sorry for OT rant, but I will try the out of state dealers for a Spyder. In my case I am in the market for a GT3 too but not wasting time 'round here.

Last edited by Chris C.; 07-23-2020 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:31 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
good to know ... I am waiting to hear back from Mike @ WC ... I think there are a number of dealers still operating in a pre-pandemic (fantasy) world.
2 weeks ago he was at 8K over OBO on his 21 allocation. GLWT.
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:41 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

You don't say where you live @halfmonkey but I can tell you Bay Area is different. Completely useless sales appendages, at best call me when you want to order people. I wish it were different, as they are so bad at sales and service it makes my purchases of any P-car challenging from anywhere as the wife literally *hates* the brand. PCNA, listening???

PCNA actually knows, as we've complained numerous times and received, err, empathy cards

In contrast, SF BMW and Oakland BMW are both decent operations. Not perfect, and there are always goofy sales people as individuals, but I've met the management and they are care people and at least useful for you to test out cars and learn what you really want.

In the BA sending you an email blast with inventory they can't sell is their idea of managing relationships.

YMMV. Sorry for OT rant, but I would try the out of state dealers for your Spyder. In my case I am in the market for a GT3 too. Not wasting time 'round here.
I'm in SoCal so I guess NorCal dealers are just bad. SoCal is the car culture capital of the US so if people are finally getting MSRP down here, it sounds like NorCal dealers are just being crooks to be crooks.

Maybe you didn't see my post but here is a link that might be helpful to you. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=243681
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:50 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I'm in SoCal so I guess NorCal dealers are just bad. SoCal is the car culture capital of the US so if people are finally getting MSRP down here, it sounds like NorCal dealers are just being crooks to be crooks.

Maybe you didn't see my post but here is a link that might be helpful to you. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=243681
Thanks, I missed that as I wasn't subscribed. Good info, and not surprising as Covid reality hits I think the bigger worry is Porsche cuts production numbers drastically and we end up back in ADM-land. Let's hope not, we may even see discounts on some cars as time goes on.

Personally, 4.0 GTS is close enough - and fast enough - for street use that I think it will cut into Spyder demand at 8-12K le$$.

This recession will be comeuppance for some dealers for sure. And well earned.
Old 07-22-2020 | 03:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'm in SoCal so I guess NorCal dealers are just bad.
I've had good experiences with Porsche Stevens Creek, Fremont, Marin and Monterey over the years. Beware relying upon just one person's opinion about any given dealership. And if someone tells you that all the dealers are bad, remember that old saying about the guy who meets ******** all day.
Old 07-22-2020 | 03:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've had good experiences with Porsche Stevens Creek, Fremont, Marin and Monterey over the years. Beware relying upon just one person's opinion about any given dealership. And if someone tells you that all the dealers are bad, remember that old saying about the guy who meets ******** all day.
Yup. I know it's his opinion and his experience. I've heard some bad opinions from others about NorCal dealers too but I'm not taking it as gospel as it doesn't affect me since I have my allocation already. Just the same as I've heard about bad experiences about dealers in SoCal. As my MSRP Spyder thread mentioned, I came across 6 dealers that offered me MSRP with other dealers playing games. Was just trying to help the guy out. What he makes of it is his business.
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:11 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Of course, pretty sure I even said YMMV, but thank you for your insinuation. For sure everyone has their own things they value in a dealer, and values certain experiences. Glad you've found responsive ones in Norcal for you - I've purchased from 2 of those including a Board sponsor, and can't recommend either of them. I am a straight shooter and spend money with people who display integrity and value trust. Perhaps those aren't as important for some. I know I am not alone, some long time 991 board members actually rail on these names in their signature lines.

I've had wonderful experiences with many dealers over 25 years of car buying, and in fact just 2 months ago with 2 local BMW dealers who were extremely helpful with an M-car purchase.

Once again, YMMV.

Old 07-23-2020 | 09:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

You don't say where you live @halfmonkey but I can tell you Bay Area is different. Completely useless sales appendages, at best call me when you want to order people. I wish it were different, as it makes my purchases of any P-car challenging from anywhere as the wife literally *hates* the brand.

PCNA I am sure knows in their surveys, as we've complained and received, err, empathy cards

In contrast, SF BMW and Oakland BMW are both decent operations. Not perfect, and there are always sales people as individuals, but I've met the management and they are car people and at least useful for you to test out cars and learn what you really want.

YMMV. Sorry for OT rant, but I will try the out of state dealers for a Spyder. In my case I am in the market for a GT3 too but not wasting time 'round here.
+1 AFIAK
Old 07-24-2020 | 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

2 weeks ago he was at 8K over OBO on his 21 allocation. GLWT.
he confirmed MSRP on their GT4 but ADM on Spyder ... time to send them to the penalty box I think
Old 07-28-2020 | 01:24 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Intermediate

I have been working with a dealer in Illinois who has a Spyder allocation for an October build available if anyone wants to PM me for his info.
Old 07-28-2020 | 06:14 PM
spy2der
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NFSF
I spoke with Randy Hill of Porsche Burlingame in August and they were taking names for MSRP. Dunno what the situation is now.

hill@rectormotors.com
650-348-0111
Randy is the best! He has been with Porsche Burlingame for over 30 years and he likes to talk about his vintage Porsche race cars. I ordered my GT Silver Spyder from him 3 years ago at MSRP. Picking it up this Saturday.

Quick Reply: Spyder allocation