Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder allocation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020 | 05:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
personally I do not know the answer to this, however I do recall reading a thread some time back (elsewhere - but I dont recall where) on the complexities of taking PEC delivery for out of state cars and what to do about their registration while temporarily in Ca ... but I should imagine that PCNA have this figured out already!
My car will be registered in Nevada and per the dealer I'll have all of the registration documentation to drive the car back to Nevada.
Old 07-06-2020 | 06:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
My car will be registered in Nevada and per the dealer I'll have all of the registration documentation to drive the car back to Nevada.
yeah upon reading some of the other forums there seems to be some pre-work done by your dealer of purchase prior to delivery with PEC LA to ensure that the car is paid for, insured, and registered in the state of residency including temp plates etc

its effectively what you would have to do if you were to collect your car from your dealership and drive into Ca for the day ...
Old 07-06-2020 | 06:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
If you purchase a car from out of state (my home state and registration will be in California,) I thought you had to go through a little extra work to get it registered in California. I guess if you have it delivered to PECLA, you'll save on the 3rd party transportation cost transporting your car from our of state to CA but taking delivery at PECLA doesn't do anything for the actual registration of the car in CA, does it?
If you buy out of state, you have to do a VIN verification and a SMOG check before registering the car in CA. My assumption would be that if you took delivery of the car from PEC LA that you would technically be buying the car in California and that they would handle the paperwork just as a California dealer would if you wanted them to, but I'm not sure. Would be a huge help to us Californians if they did that.
Old 07-06-2020 | 06:28 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
yeah upon reading some of the other forums there seems to be some pre-work done by your dealer of purchase prior to delivery with PEC LA to ensure that the car is paid for, insured, and registered in the state of residency including temp plates etc

its effectively what you would have to do if you were to collect your car from your dealership and drive into Ca for the day ...
Sounds like as part of the paperwork required to collect your car at PECLA, you do have to complete all purchase paperwork PRIOR to actually collecting the car. Since that is the case, your car would technically be registered in your home state already and you're simply just picking up the car at PECLA. That is a great way to work around 3rd party transportation fees and/or buy out of state.
Old 07-06-2020 | 08:21 PM
Seinsmeld13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcaro
Interested as in a Spyder as well. Called Porsche of Redwood City, CA and they have allocations but want a $10k premium.
I paid full list her in Canada for my 2020 Spyder. It is my understanding a dealer can not sell above list here. This is the first car I ever bought at full list. For my 2019 RS3 I went to 3 different dealers before I finalized my order. The last dealer I negotiated my order with I advised my SA he had until 4 pm to accept my offer. I received an email at 3:50 to advise they had agreed to my deal. With the current economic conditions anybody can get a great deal today.
Old 07-06-2020 | 08:37 PM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Sounds like as part of the paperwork required to collect your car at PECLA, you do have to complete all purchase paperwork PRIOR to actually collecting the car. Since that is the case, your car would technically be registered in your home state already and you're simply just picking up the car at PECLA. That is a great way to work around 3rd party transportation fees and/or buy out of state.
When I picked up my 991.2 C2 at PECATL in late 2018 I was required to have completed all the purchase documentation with my dealer a couple of weeks in advance and bring to PECATL the paperwork showing proof of registration and insurance, including a permanent or temporary license plate. This from PECATL:

"In order to release the vehicle to you on your delivery day, you will need to arrive with proof of vehicle registration and insurance, along with your temporary or permanent license plate."

I imagine the same is true for PECLA.

God bless,
TT
The following users liked this post:
Gatch (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020 | 11:54 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Maybe a silly question...if you choose ATL/LA delivery, will Porsche ship your car to your local dealer after it’s “delivered” at one of the PECs?
Old 07-06-2020 | 11:56 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatch
Maybe a silly question...if you choose ATL/LA delivery, will Porsche ship your car to your local dealer after it’s “delivered” at one of the PECs?
No. That’s on you if you don’t want to drive home from PEC.
Old 07-07-2020 | 12:34 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatch
One of the primary reasons I wanted to pick the car up at PECATL was so that I could drive it home to Indiana through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Great break-in roads that are a continuation of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of climbing and descending...turning and fabulous views, too. Alternatively, you can head north via the Tail of the Dragon...or do both. I did it that one time from PECATL and have done it many times from the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC. Always a tremendous treat.

God bless,
TT
The following 2 users liked this post by TomTarzian:
Gatch (07-07-2020), wdr911 (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020 | 02:33 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Agree. Fools and their money go separate ways. Then again, it’s all relative. We are fools for buying at full MSRP. Or, for that matter, we are fools for paying extra to have automatic dimming mirrors, climate control, power seats, butt warmers, CarPlay, illuminated vanity mirrors, etc. etc. etc. when those are all standard on $30,000 cars...
The other side of the coin is that if you build a better mousetrap ..... people will pay stupid money to drive a Porsche.
Old 07-07-2020 | 02:35 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
The other side of the coin is that if you build a better mousetrap ..... people will pay stupid money to drive a Porsche.
Amen to that. They are such great sports cars.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 07-07-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2020 | 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Mike Pardini @ Porsche Walnut Creek apparently has a Spyder allocation available.

At this time I do not know when the allocation is for (presumably within the current allocation window) or if it is at MSRP or not. (waiting to hear back from him)

mpardini@steadporsche.com (925) 330-3475

no affiliation, just passing along, pls mention that I referred you if you contact him.

good luck!
Old 07-21-2020 | 08:56 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

I inquired about a Spyder allocation a couple of months ago at WC and was told $5k over was the best they would offer. Of course, YMMV.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Mike Pardini @ Porsche Walnut Creek apparently has a Spyder allocation available.

At this time I do not know when the allocation is for (presumably within the current allocation window) or if it is at MSRP or not. (waiting to hear back from him)

mpardini@steadporsche.com (925) 330-3475

no affiliation, just passing along, pls mention that I referred you if you contact him.

good luck!
Old 07-21-2020 | 09:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave I
I inquired about a Spyder allocation a couple of months ago at WC and was told $5k over was the best they would offer. Of course, YMMV.
good to know ... I am waiting to hear back from Mike @ WC ... I think there are a number of dealers still operating in a pre-pandemic (fantasy) world.
Old 07-22-2020 | 12:58 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

good to know ... I am waiting to hear back from Mike @ WC ... I think there are a number of dealers still operating in a pre-pandemic (fantasy) world.
While Mike seems like a good guy, another sales guy there verbally agreed to a Spyder at MSRP, then they said sorry 10K over, then 8K over or BO... no grudge but CA dealers aren't interested in relationships. I have a hard time giving them my $ let alone repeat business.

Told another local dealer I was going to buy 2 cars this year, call me when they had a 992 with 4/18-ways or anything with buckets to drive. Left name and card - still no reply 6 months later. These are terrible businesses. Contrast that with BMW dealers who work hard to find me the right car and deal. <Rant off>

There will be cars around, I am going to call those who helped me last time when I bought my 991 first

Quick Reply: Spyder allocation