Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 10:19 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmporscheguy
Just saw the Soul Race Exhaust video from Matt. It sound's cool but definitely not "INSANE LOUD" like I would have hoped. Maybe the video just doesn't do it any justice. It sound's great, don't get me wrong, but definitely not loud enough for me. I will wait for the full race exhaust + race header system to make a final decision.

@Soul Performance Any reason you chose to build 2.5" piping instead of 3". 3" would be much louder so I'm just curious.

0.5" wont make a difference on sound level...but could become a problem in terms of interference with suspension parts, etc......also video/audio on YouTube usually doesn't give you a real sample of the sound level and tone.
Not sure what you are looking for but..."Insame Loud"????? The Soul system race system without resonators is as loud as you will get...add race header (without cats) and that may be your recipe for Insane Loud.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:40 PM
frosty911
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Sick sound. In a good way. For the price you can’t go wrong. And a lifetime warranty. Love the high pitch metallic sound at the top end.

Thank god for OG videos. Every exhaust sound videos should take advice from Matt. everything you hear is detailed.

Used to watch his videos when he was at 30k subscribers. Way to go Matt and Soul.

The following users liked this post:
Shawn Clark (12-13-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 11:49 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justicepool
Absolutely love the sound. I hope Matt provides some feedback regarding drone at highway speeds.
He already did in a comments reply. To quote him, “pretty nasty” and not in a good way.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:06 AM
justicepool
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
He already did in a comments reply. To quote him, “pretty nasty” and not in a good way.

Well that is not promising.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:19 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justicepool
Well that is not promising.
But not unexpected.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:23 AM
justicepool
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
But not unexpected.
I had a cat bypass X pipe on my 997 and didn't mind the drone on it at highway speeds. It didn't seem too much for me. I was hopeful this would be a similar experience. Just have to wait and install it and see how it sounds to my ears. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The person that bought my 997 is changing the exhaust because it is too loud for him, so maybe it is just a matter of personal preference.

I noticed some drone on my Spyder the other day with the valves open at highway speeds.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:29 AM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

Wow, that video sounds really good. Some nice flat-six whale. The engine is starting to open up here. Headers of whatever variety will give it that last bit of oomph and unrestricted sound. Thanks Matt for so many passes and different mic options.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 12-13-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:32 AM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

Can you comment on the power upgrade since it supposed to be worth up to about 20-30 additional hp & tq.

As per this dyno, the car would now have 449 hp and 326 ft/lbs of torque. Very nice jump in power from just a cat back setup.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 12-13-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:41 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
Thanks for the kind words guys! Much appreciated

The factory headers are a big restriction point on sound level, when those cats are gone it is going to amplify the race exhaust considerably. And 2.5” piping is realistically as big as you can/should go on the over axle pipes for fitment.

Regards,
John Gaydos
John, do you and the team have a ETA on the Catted Street Headers?
Old 12-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Foggy916
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the race (resonated version) on my Spyder and have a few comments/opinions to add. The power increase is definitely noticeable....seems to want to rev more freely and my butt dyno confirms an increase in HP and torque. Most importantly, the fun factor increases and I find myself wanting to hit the higher revs, especially with the top down. An overall more enjoyable driving experience, even away from the track. However, if you want zero booming sound in the cabin, this is not your exhaust.

With regards to sound and my personal experiences, I found it initially much more aggressive than stock and was a bit concerned about the drone/boom. Definitely MUCH better in the higher revs with a somewhat nasty drone/boom 2.2K to 2.8K that is less once you put the top down. However, after a few weeks, I really don't notice the boom in the cabin as much. I initially would avoid the drone by staying out of that particular rev range but now I don't mind it and shift normally around town. My guess is that one's ear gets accustomed to the sound after getting over the initial shock of how much more aggressive it is over stock. Sure, it's not perfect with the drone/boom but for the $, the positives far outweigh the negative. I would say if you get one, give it a few weeks to get accustomed before making a final determination. For me, it makes for a better overall experience by giving the car a more raw and aggressive feel ..... a real "GT" car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foggy916:
justicepool (12-13-2020), rooster17 (12-13-2020), Soul Performance (12-15-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggy916
I have the race (resonated version) on my Spyder and have a few comments/opinions to add. The power increase is definitely noticeable....seems to want to rev more freely and my butt dyno confirms an increase in HP and torque. Most importantly, the fun factor increases and I find myself wanting to hit the higher revs, especially with the top down. An overall more enjoyable driving experience, even away from the track. However, if you want zero booming sound in the cabin, this is not your exhaust.

With regards to sound and my personal experiences, I found it initially much more aggressive than stock and was a bit concerned about the drone/boom. Definitely MUCH better in the higher revs with a somewhat nasty drone/boom 2.2K to 2.8K that is less once you put the top down. However, after a few weeks, I really don't notice the boom in the cabin as much. I initially would avoid the drone by staying out of that particular rev range but now I don't mind it and shift normally around town. My guess is that one's ear gets accustomed to the sound after getting over the initial shock of how much more aggressive it is over stock. Sure, it's not perfect with the drone/boom but for the $, the positives far outweigh the negative. I would say if you get one, give it a few weeks to get accustomed before making a final determination. For me, it makes for a better overall experience by giving the car a more raw and aggressive feel ..... a real "GT" car.
I think that you are correct, a change like this has you listening for the differences, eventually you become accustom to the sound you now have, just the right sound is an elusive goal and is very subjective and personal, everybody has their own "perfect"!
Old 12-13-2020, 03:56 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Can you comment on the power upgrade since it supposed to be worth up to about 20-30 additional hp & tq.

As per this dyno, the car would now have 449 hp and 326 ft/lbs of torque. Very nice jump in power from just a cat back setup.

This dyno confirms what JCR had also found....I'm really surprise a N/A Porsche engine could gain so much from a cat-back exhaust. +30 hp for $2,600 is a no-brainer if you don't mind the volume and a bit of drone.
You are basically knocking on 450 hp (engine).....if you add race headers that could be an additional good 15 hp and you still haven't done a ECU flash or COBB AP.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:09 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Nice here in South Texas so heading out...will think about that and report back.

Haha...I get tired of same. Give it time, people will be chasing that great 4.0 sound!
where in south Texas?
Old 12-13-2020, 05:37 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This dyno confirms what JCR had also found....I'm really surprise a N/A Porsche engine could gain so much from a cat-back exhaust. +30 hp for $2,600 is a no-brainer if you don't mind the volume and a bit of drone.
You are basically knocking on 450 hp (engine).....if you add race headers that could be an additional good 15 hp and you still haven't done a ECU flash or COBB AP.
I take as Porsche neutering the 718 GT’s to provide more distance in performance from the GT3 99x series.

Last edited by 2XIPA; 12-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.
DFW01TT (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:48 PM
rahtid
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 27 Posts

I would like to hear this drone, I don't think the volume would bother me since I'm already used to my GT350R which has become my benchmark for exhaust sounds. However the GT350R doesn't have a drone at all. The race exhaust will put it near the GT350R level but would like to hear this drone before I pull the trigger.
kart125 (12-13-2020)

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development