Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

manual folding mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts
Default manual folding mirrors?

Quick question... I'm not considering the power folding mirrors on my build as I dont see the need to fold the mirrors on an everyday basis, but I would like to fold them in garage during winter storage to make more room.
If I dont check the power folding mirrors box, are the standard mirrors manually folding?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:56 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
Quick question... I'm not considering the power folding mirrors on my build as I dont see the need to fold the mirrors on an everyday basis, but I would like to fold them in garage during winter storage to make more room.
If I dont check the power folding mirrors box, are the standard mirrors manually folding?
Nice to hear you are still in the game....Yes
Old 04-01-2020, 09:01 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Nice to hear you are still in the game....Yes
Theorically still in the game... but since factory is closed and I have one foot on the sideline workwise (hard to justify the 150k spending now... some friends lost their jobs - would be quite arrogant to get a P car now!) I might consider letting go this allocation and ask for another one next winter to get the car in spring... I'm still daydreaming about the car on the forum and configurator! I'm waiting for my SA to get back to me once everything starts rolling again and we'll decide what's the best option then. I'm not getting my hopes up for a resolution of this crisis anytime soon (AKA 2-3 months minimum).

Thanks for the info about the mirrors, one less problem to think of!

Any news of your car? on a boat?
The following 2 users liked this post by kart125:
718GT4.0 (04-01-2020), ISPYA718 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 09:16 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

I hear you not the best times to share a P dream with others. Let’s hope every new day is a better day your time lines are hopeful. Last word 10 days ago was it’s built and in Emden waiting shipping. Will keep y,all updated.
The following users liked this post:
kart125 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 09:24 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Theorically still in the game... but since factory is closed and I have one foot on the sideline workwise (hard to justify the 150k spending now... some friends lost their jobs - would be quite arrogant to get a P car now!) I might consider letting go this allocation and ask for another one next winter to get the car in spring... I'm still daydreaming about the car on the forum and configurator! I'm waiting for my SA to get back to me once everything starts rolling again and we'll decide what's the best option then. I'm not getting my hopes up for a resolution of this crisis anytime soon (AKA 2-3 months minimum).

Thanks for the info about the mirrors, one less problem to think of!

Any news of your car? on a boat?
I hear ya, and have thought about the same thing (save now, buy later etc)...but the situation we're all in also underlines how temporary everything is, and how life is relatively short - doing what makes you happy now may be the most sensible thing to do : ) Reminds me of one my favorite quotes:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.” - Master Oogway

The following 4 users liked this post by 718GT4.0:
FASTRKMAN (04-01-2020), kart125 (04-01-2020), phefner (04-01-2020), tossero (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

(hard to justify the 150k spending now... some friends lost their jobs - would be quite arrogant to get a P car now!)
Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
I hear ya, and have thought about the same thing (save now, buy later etc)...but the situation we're all in also underlines how temporary everything is, and how life is relatively short - doing what makes you happy now may be the most sensible thing to do : ) Reminds me of one my favorite quotes: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.” - Master Oogway
Thoughts around these comments, anytime I drive my Porsche I was aware of how others might react and today given the world situation the reactions could be even stronger, but in normal times (is there such a thing?) everybody makes different choices about life, effort and the paths they choose. Everything I have acquired in life I have worked for, I am not extravagant in the way I live or what I have with the one exception of the Porsche, it is my one reward for the decades of weekends and nights spent away from family and friends, I am reserved in my reaction but refuse to make an apology to anyone who questions my desire to have this car.

The following 6 users liked this post by Westcoast:
718GT4.0 (04-02-2020), gbridger (08-13-2020), kart125 (04-02-2020), pettelli (08-12-2020), TahouHots (04-02-2020), wcw67 (04-02-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:34 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Everything I have acquired in life I have worked for, I am not extravagant in the way I live or what I have with the one exception of the Porsche, it is my one reward for the decades of weekends and nights spent away from family and friends.
I feel the same! I made a lot personal sacrifices in the last 20 years to study, get a good job, buy a house and raise a wonderful family. Now working hard helping others and not thinking about myself... I'm not a 18 yo kid that is getting a GT4 as a graduation gift from daddy! I'm finally in a situation I can afford (and get!) a P GT car. Carpe Diem!

I'm more concerned about production delays. I dont want to get a late 2020 in the fall and not being able to drive it before next spring. I hope that I could instead get an early 2021 (maybe with new color choices!!) and get it before winter so it will give me time to work on the car during winter (roll bar/harness/JCR exhaust?...)

Regardless, the most important thing is to stay healthy and hope that the personal, profesionnal and economic measures taken against COVID-19 will be effective. Stay safe everyone!
Old 04-02-2020, 03:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I feel the same! I made a lot personal sacrifices in the last 20 years to study, get a good job, buy a house and raise a wonderful family. Now working hard helping others and not thinking about myself... I'm not a 18 yo kid that is getting a GT4 as a graduation gift from daddy! I'm finally in a situation I can afford (and get!) a P GT car. Carpe Diem!

I'm more concerned about production delays. I dont want to get a late 2020 in the fall and not being able to drive it before next spring. I hope that I could instead get an early 2021 (maybe with new color choices!!) and get it before winter so it will give me time to work on the car during winter (roll bar/harness/JCR exhaust?...)

Regardless, the most important thing is to stay healthy and hope that the personal, profesionnal and economic measures taken against COVID-19 will be effective. Stay safe everyone!
Yes waiting another month or two is one thing, waiting an additional 6 months from today and it should by all rights be a 2021, September deliveries shouldn't be current model year IMHO they should be the next.

But this could all depend on if a car is already started (VIN issued) or has yet to be started, at some point Porsche will have to decide when 2020 ends and 2021 begins. I wonder if there is a precedent about this?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:03 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

September deliveries shouldn't be current model year IMHO they should be the next.
That is what I'm hoping. When I went to option the car on march 9th it showed a lock date mid-april, build date mid may and delivery early july (i dont recall the specific dates and was too excited to take a picture of the screen!). Depending on when the MY changes and assuming a 3 months hiatus in production I'm probably looking at a 2021 car for delivery in october. Would be perfect. I could drive it a bit in the fall, maybe break it in, and then store it in garage, then go in garage every night, remove car cover, sit in car, start car, repeat daily until april 1st!
Westcoast (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:21 PM
wcw67
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Kart, I'm curious why for 330 (US) you wouldn't opt for the power folding mirrors? On that note, courtesy lights shine below the mirrors? When I'd built mine out my main concern was i understand the power mirrors or non (2016) determined the stalk of the mirror. I believe this isn't the case anymore so I opted for the power mirrors. And as stated above, all this is for naught if my steady source of income (job!) disappears or a pay cut comes my way. Had anticipated a delivery in June, but obviously it's been pushed back due to factory closure. Fine by me... At what point are they called 2021s?! -Cheers!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wcw67
Kart, I'm curious why for 330 (US) you wouldn't opt for the power folding mirrors? On that note, courtesy lights shine below the mirrors? When I'd built mine out my main concern was i understand the power mirrors or non (2016) determined the stalk of the mirror. I believe this isn't the case anymore so I opted for the power mirrors. And as stated above, all this is for naught if my steady source of income (job!) disappears or a pay cut comes my way. Had anticipated a delivery in June, but obviously it's been pushed back due to factory closure. Fine by me... At what point are they called 2021s?! -Cheers!
I too opted for power mirrors, in Canada a little more at $370, I had the puddle light on my 2016, great feature as well, happy it is on the 718 too.

The model year can vary upon a number of factors, but for the already released GT4/Spyder I believe the change would normally be after the traditional shutdown in August, unfortunately there is nothing usual about these times or this production run.

Still would think Porsche will need to make the differentiation at some point, but if your car is built before the summer it will likely be a 2020 no matter the delivery date.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:08 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

I agree that it's quite a cheap option for the power folding mirrors. Puddle lights could be cool, but I'm reconsidering the illuminated door sills to make it more of a track focused car... also trying to keep it under 150k!! Are the mirrors folding at every lock of doors or do they need to be activated by a switch? A video from someone who owns them could be a good option! Come on we all have too much time to spend these days!
wcw67 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree that it's quite a cheap option for the power folding mirrors. Puddle lights could be cool, but I'm reconsidering the illuminated door sills to make it more of a track focused car... also trying to keep it under 150k!! Are the mirrors folding at every lock of doors or do they need to be activated by a switch? A video from someone who owns them could be a good option! Come on we all have too much time to spend these days!
Good luck with the $150k number especially with illuminated sills!

So the mirrors can be programmed to fold on engine shutdown via the PCM (IIRC) or manually by way of the door mounted switch, your choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
kart125 (04-03-2020), wcw67 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:03 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

actually I was thinking of removing the illuminated door sills from my build.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:47 PM
wcw67
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Thoughts around these comments, anytime I drive my Porsche I was aware of how others might react and today given the world situation the reactions could be even stronger, but in normal times (is there such a thing?) everybody makes different choices about life, effort and the paths they choose. Everything I have acquired in life I have worked for, I am not extravagant in the way I live or what I have with the one exception of the Porsche, it is my one reward for the decades of weekends and nights spent away from family and friends, I am reserved in my reaction but refuse to make an apology to anyone who questions my desire to have this car.
Very well said Westcoast.
kart125 (04-03-2020)

Quick Reply: manual folding mirrors?