Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

manual folding mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
actually I was thinking of removing the illuminated door sills from my build.
I think we all get driven a little crazy with Porsche options, I looked over every option on the configurator, they tempt us for one reason or another, for me some are easy others not so and if you are trying to stay within a budget limit it is even tougher! They are in a sense personal even if anybody can check the same box, your combination will likely be unique.

I looked at the illuminated sills, and although they would be cool I find I drive this car much more during the daylight hours so their effect is diminished, but you know if I did have them I would be standing there in the dark looking at them!

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (08-12-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 11:05 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

The thing is I have too much time for myself now!! Lots of "what if I add that option" becomes a "hey I need that option"! I just did a build with power folding mirrors, illuminated personnalized door sills, carpets with contrasting leather and stitching, white dials fr instrument cluster and SC clock, GT4 car cover... I'm close to busting the 150k limit! I'm sure by the end of the day I'll be able to do it!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

The thing is I have too much time for myself now!! Lots of "what if I add that option" becomes a "hey I need that option"! I just did a build with power folding mirrors, illuminated personnalized door sills, carpets with contrasting leather and stitching, white dials fr instrument cluster and SC clock, GT4 car cover... I'm close to busting the 150k limit! I'm sure by the end of the day I'll be able to do it!
It's a slippery slope; I thought I had finalized my build at the dealership, but ended up changing a bunch of stuff after the first week and then additional tweaks into the second week, about a week before it was due to be locked. Your budget of $150,000, is that the price before or after accessories, destination, taxes, etc.?

Some thoughts on your 'what ifs' listed above (my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!):
  • Power folding mirrors; like others, it's not an expensive option and something that may be handy to have, puddle lights are a nice to have feature with it
  • I had originally optioned the personalized door sill, but ended up going to the illuminated carbon fibre door sills as I couldn't decide what I wanted to have on them...it's quite the commitment so if you're in any way unsure of your design (font, image, text, etc.), you're probably better off with one of the standard options
  • I also checked the carpets with contrasting leather and stitching, but ended up removing this as I found out that you can get the black velour mats with yellow stitching to match the interior for ~CA$120 (991.2 Carrera T accessory); only thing you don't get is the leather trim
  • White dials (SC plus tachometer) were a no brainer for me, I love the look of white dials
  • GT4 car cover that you can select from the configurator is the cheaper version that has the Porsche crest on it. If you want the GT4 printed car cover, that's an accessory you have to order through parts; it's about 2x more expensive than the Porsche crest version
kart125 (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:46 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Illusive991
It's a slippery slope; I thought I had finalized my build at the dealership, but ended up changing a bunch of stuff after the first week and then additional tweaks into the second week, about a week before it was due to be locked. Your budget of $150,000, is that the price before or after accessories, destination, taxes, etc.?

Some thoughts on your 'what ifs' listed above (my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!):
  • Power folding mirrors; like others, it's not an expensive option and something that may be handy to have, puddle lights are a nice to have feature with it
  • I had originally optioned the personalized door sill, but ended up going to the illuminated carbon fibre door sills as I couldn't decide what I wanted to have on them...it's quite the commitment so if you're in any way unsure of your design (font, image, text, etc.), you're probably better off with one of the standard options
  • I also checked the carpets with contrasting leather and stitching, but ended up removing this as I found out that you can get the black velour mats with yellow stitching to match the interior for ~CA$120 (991.2 Carrera T accessory); only thing you don't get is the leather trim
  • White dials (SC plus tachometer) were a no brainer for me, I love the look of white dials
  • GT4 car cover that you can select from the configurator is the cheaper version that has the Porsche crest on it. If you want the GT4 printed car cover, that's an accessory you have to order through parts; it's about 2x more expensive than the Porsche crest version
Thanks for your inputs!

the 150k limit is mor psychological than budget based... It might be the only GT car I buy so I want to spec it the way I like (within reason!).

The door sills are probably the easiest thing to remove from my build. Cool feature but will get tired of eventually.

For the price I might as well go with the power folding mirrors... If it was 1000$ It would be a no go!

Thanks for the tip about the carpets... I will look it up. I want to add a bit of contrast to the floormats so it might be the best option. Do the 911 T and 718 have the same floor plan?

The white dials are a bit of a necessity since I've read the grey "stock" one is hard to read. Plus the SC dial is black... not even matching the grey. If they were both grey it would be better.

The printed GT4 cover is not the one one the config? (GT4 and offcenter stripe?). I just want a cover to protect from dust during winter storage so might go with the cheapest!

Let's keep waiting... and waiting... and waiting! I'm looking forward to lock date so I cant change my mind anymore!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Thanks for your inputs!

the 150k limit is mor psychological than budget based... It might be the only GT car I buy so I want to spec it the way I like (within reason!).

The door sills are probably the easiest thing to remove from my build. Cool feature but will get tired of eventually.

For the price I might as well go with the power folding mirrors... If it was 1000$ It would be a no go!

Thanks for the tip about the carpets... I will look it up. I want to add a bit of contrast to the floormats so it might be the best option. Do the 911 T and 718 have the same floor plan?

The white dials are a bit of a necessity since I've read the grey "stock" one is hard to read. Plus the SC dial is black... not even matching the grey. If they were both grey it would be better.

The printed GT4 cover is not the one one the config? (GT4 and offcenter stripe?). I just want a cover to protect from dust during winter storage so might go with the cheapest!

Let's keep waiting... and waiting... and waiting! I'm looking forward to lock date so I cant change my mind anymore!
Yes, the floor mats for the 911 T and 718 Cayman are the same. The driver and passenger foot well area for the 991, 781 and 782 I believe are identical.
I'm not a big fan of the stock grey tachometer as I had that on my 991 4S and personally, didn't like the contrast. Wasn't hard to read, but didn't like the look of it as it doesn't go with much.
That's correct, I confirmed with the dealer that the car cover in the configurator will look like the image when you click on the information 'i' and not the GT4 with offset stripe.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

That cover?
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Illusive991
Racer

That cover?
I see they've finally updated the configurator to include the GT4 cover from the image you attached! That's the one I was talking about that is 2x the cost of the other one (picture below). I've already arranged for my dealer to order these when the car is set to be departing Emden as it's a 4 week timeline from ordering to arriving at the dealer. I also ordered those floor mats I mentioned above as well as the clear side markers to replace the amber ones when it comes in. When I was building mine, the only car cover option I had was this one:

Old 04-03-2020, 06:11 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Ya that GT4 cover looks nice! Will order it also once car is built, on a COVID free boat and en route to Halifax harbor!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Illusive991
Racer

If it's already up on the configurator, you can ask your SA to add it to your build so that it will ship with your car! I opted for the first aid kit too from factory.
kart125 (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I looked at the covers and from both descriptions they are considered indoor use... I will be buying something a little more substantial for mine, likely one made from Evolution-3 fabric.

Additionally here in BC we have sliding tax scale on cars, no point in paying extra tax on the cover.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I looked at the covers and from both descriptions they are considered indoor use... I will be buying something a little more substantial for mine, likely one made from Evolution-3 fabric.

Additionally here in BC we have sliding tax scale on cars, no point in paying extra tax on the cover.
Glad I'm in Alberta and can avoid all of those onerous taxes! Except that it's snowing outside right now...I guess it's making social distancing/isolation a little bit easier...

My GT4 will be parked inside for the winter, so it'll be fit for purpose for me (except the price...still trying to get over the price of this indoor cover).
wdr911 (04-05-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 08:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Glad I'm in Alberta and can avoid all of those onerous taxes! Except that it's snowing outside right now...I guess it's making social distancing/isolation a little bit easier...

My GT4 will be parked inside for the winter, so it'll be fit for purpose for me (except the price...still trying to get over the price of this indoor cover).
As I was born in Calgary I asked if I could get a break, they just laughed...
Old 04-03-2020, 08:30 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Good idea then to dilute the price of the cover in the total price of the car!!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:13 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I was in the same situation when i ordered my gt4 back in 2015. What to choose ???
After 4 years the only options i realized i really needed were:
-LWBS , 64 l fuel tank and fire extinguisher .
Everything else i ordered was only cosmetic and personal choice ... stitching,carbon,leather,pcm,color,headlight,doorsills,etc...
Only one option i miss is PCCB but i didn't order it because of the price .
Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3rs.
I was in the same situation when i ordered my gt4 back in 2015. What to choose ???
After 4 years the only options i realized i really needed were:
-LWBS , 64 l fuel tank and fire extinguisher .
Everything else i ordered was only cosmetic and personal choice ... stitching,carbon,leather,pcm,color,headlight,doorsills,etc...
Only one option i miss is PCCB but i didn't order it because of the price .
Cool to hear after 4 years of ownership, thanks for weighing in!

I am talking about the Spyder so it is a bit different, but I am in for LWBS, PCCB and that fire extinguisher too.

The other options are cosmetic but for a Spyder and long term ownership they would be nice to have.

Quick Reply: manual folding mirrors?