Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

who is doing european delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DreiPedals
My new spec is contingent on the euro delivery experience, so I'm watching on eggshells; matter of fact it's the only thing written on the order sheet right now. On a prior ED experience, I found frustration in not being able to drive a few bucket-list Alpine passes due to snowcover (end May/beginning June), so the next one will be hopefully taking advantage of the July 4th US holiday.

I'm figuring right now it's a 50/50 shot that a euro delivery will be doable for any of us by that time. Things could change rapidly, in either direction, unfortunately.

Certainly have fingers crossed that it will be a go, for me and all of the others in the same position.
I gave up on ED this time around - I just think that the likelyhood of the EU letting any US visitors in anytime soon is slim to none - but I hope I am wrong for everyones sake - but 7/4/21 I sincerely hope you are good to go!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

When is the optimal time of year for doing ED in terms of (low) crowds, (low) traffic, weather, etc if the primary goal is driving on scenic roads and around beautiful places? I'm thinking if Spring or Fall, then head south (France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Adriatic, etc.) for warmer nicer weather and less crowds (not vacation season). If Summer (vacation season), then stay north (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) as everyone from there moves south for vacation. Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
When is the optimal time of year for doing ED in terms of (low) crowds, (low) traffic, weather, etc if the primary goal is driving on scenic roads and around beautiful places? I'm thinking if Spring or Fall, then head south (France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Adriatic, etc.) for warmer nicer weather and less crowds (not vacation season). If Summer (vacation season), then stay north (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) as everyone from there moves south for vacation. Thoughts?
avoid August!!!

I'd say May/June or Sept/Oct.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
avoid August!!!

I'd say May/June or Sept/Oct.
What about March/April, and head south?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
What about March/April, and head south?
I personally have not done that so I cannot comment - you *may* encounter snow in some of the higher passes earlier in the year going thru Austria/Switzerland Alps etc ... but if you skirted those and went to the Riviera etc you would be good I think
Old 09-01-2020, 07:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I personally have not done that so I cannot comment - you *may* encounter snow in some of the higher passes earlier in the year going thru Austria/Switzerland Alps etc ... but if you skirted those and went to the Riviera etc you would be good I think
Yes, no Alps passes that early. Even if they are open, they wouldn't be fun to drive (cold, wet, slippery). Skirt those and head straight south to the Mediterranean would be the plan.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, no Alps passes that early. Even if they are open, they wouldn't be fun to drive (cold, wet, slippery). Skirt those and head straight south to the Mediterranean would be the plan.
sign me up!
Old 09-02-2020, 07:02 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,223 Likes on 479 Posts

I sadly bailed on my Sep 21 ED; had been rescheduled from June. With no end it sight to this Covid mess it wasn’t worth the hassle. I always check the ED box so not a big deal, been there/done that. Sadly I took this allocation solely for the ED experience again, that’s how much I enjoy the process. so need to decide what to do with the car now! If have questions about ED let me know me, have done it many times and it’s worth the effort.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:39 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Late september Early October is ideal. Crowds are mostly gone. If you push to mid-october you are playing roulette with the alpine passes. I picked up an F80 M3 in munich on October 5th and headed south (honestly best trip of my life, wife and I had an absolute blast). We caught the last day of Oktoberfest in munich, had no crowds through Austria Switzerland, stayed and the best of the best hotels/resorts and prices were slightly more reasonable. Weather was incredible. Had 2 hiking days in the alps and it would rain a little bit but in light jackets we were comfortable.

makes me sad BMW killed their ED program. Probably the final straw that will get me to dig deeper and pick up a Porsche. Just struggling with the Spyder vs CarreraS debate. For the price of my build with a 911S I can have the spyder + keep my m3 or maybe swap for a Jeep Wrangler or something fun and very different for a daily driver.
The following users liked this post:
afisherunc (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s
Late september Early October is ideal. Crowds are mostly gone. If you push to mid-october you are playing roulette with the alpine passes. I picked up an F80 M3 in munich on October 5th and headed south (honestly best trip of my life, wife and I had an absolute blast). We caught the last day of Oktoberfest in munich, had no crowds through Austria Switzerland, stayed and the best of the best hotels/resorts and prices were slightly more reasonable. Weather was incredible. Had 2 hiking days in the alps and it would rain a little bit but in light jackets we were comfortable.

makes me sad BMW killed their ED program. Probably the final straw that will get me to dig deeper and pick up a Porsche. Just struggling with the Spyder vs CarreraS debate. For the price of my build with a 911S I can have the spyder + keep my m3 or maybe swap for a Jeep Wrangler or something fun and very different for a daily driver.
I agree, I guess that there were not enough people taking advantage of the BMW program, I did it 3 times and loved it!

personally having driven a 992S I would be seriously tempted to go the Spyder route and keep your M or swap for another DD... while the 992 is a great 911 - for me at least it is getting too big and too heavy and of course there is the PDK question!

but its a nice problem to have!
Old 09-02-2020, 04:01 PM
afisherunc
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow - it feels like I'm reading my own story. When I heard that BMW was discontinuing the European Delivery program for US customers, it pushed me to contact my local Porsche dealership and make an account here. I am hoping folks trying to make ED happen in 2021 can get it done - me included! We took delivery back in September 2016 and had an amazing experience. I cannot imagine buying a new car another way, assuming you can swing it. I would definitely recommend mid September based on my experience, at least for visiting Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.
GrantG (09-02-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 09:21 PM
GT4MF
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by GT4MF:
afisherunc (09-04-2020), TYPE911 (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 09:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4MF
Great car and video! Thx.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I sadly bailed on my Sep 21 ED; had been rescheduled from June. With no end it sight to this Covid mess it wasn’t worth the hassle. I always check the ED box so not a big deal, been there/done that. Sadly I took this allocation solely for the ED experience again, that’s how much I enjoy the process. so need to decide what to do with the car now! If have questions about ED let me know me, have done it many times and it’s worth the effort.
That was my former ED delivery date as well. Canceled and transferred to a late October Atlanta PEC delivery. Dealership ate the cost on the PEC for me, which was very generous. Car is currently on the boat on its way here.

I've never done ED before. Hopefully get the chance to try again.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:16 PM
DreiPedals
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

We're in a similar vein here, I've been planning to replace my F80 with a G80 for 2+ years - until I saw the front end. And the Euro Delivery program being killed off just closed the book on that idea for me, especially considering the depreciation hit we sign up for in the M product. I've been walking the - GT3 (and get rid of my F80) or GT4 (and keep it) decision, and have landed on the GT4+ for now.

Originally Posted by afisherunc
Wow - it feels like I'm reading my own story. When I heard that BMW was discontinuing the European Delivery program for US customers, it pushed me to contact my local Porsche dealership and make an account here. I am hoping folks trying to make ED happen in 2021 can get it done - me included! We took delivery back in September 2016 and had an amazing experience. I cannot imagine buying a new car another way, assuming you can swing it. I would definitely recommend mid September based on my experience, at least for visiting Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.
There's got to be at least a handful of 'us' migrating here recently. I did a May 2015 and it was the stuff I still dream about. It's the reason I say my order is only contingent on the ED availability; I'll belly up for the cost of something that truly pains me to spend (they're all luxuries after all, none of this is necessary) - but there's got to be a "lifetime experience" modifier to the equation in my book. Once I've gotten my first taste of the P-car life though, the delivery experience alone may become less of a modifier.

Fingers crossed for all!
afisherunc (09-25-2020)

Quick Reply: who is doing european delivery?