Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 07:31 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

First....don't take the opinion of the overnight and I can buy any car "YouTube Experts" too seriously.

In order for the Nurburgring lap to be a record the car must be exactly as available for sale...that means GPF.
The US cars will have the core/matrix of the particulate filters the EU cars have......don't believe anything else.
They just wont be coated with the reactive material and monitored but the core will be there, just like in All the 9A2 Evo 4.0L engines.
This is done to make assembly simpler and keeping sound and ECU settings standard among worldwide cars.
I already commented that this car will need an exhaust upgrade as it has the same crappy design muffler the 9A2 engine cars have.
That's why all the sound comments are about the intake but on the backgground you can hear the 718 muffler sound, just a bit different..

BTW...Manthey will not develop an exhaust system. They only deal with aerodynamics, suspension, brakes, wheels.....and now even more that their products are part of the Porsche family of optional equipment that you can order for your car.
To fix the exhaust you will need to keep an eye of JCR, Dundon. Cargraphics, Soul, etc.....but as AP mentions you could end up with a very loud car (but with a much better tone).
Old 02-07-2022, 07:34 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

BTW...and now changing subjects.....did anyone notice how dark Arctic Grey interiors are compared to the configurator? Same goes for Blue interiors. Here's a pic from one of the videos, notice the seat bottom part.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:44 AM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
BTW...and now changing subjects.....did anyone notice how dark Arctic Grey interiors are compared to the configurator? Same goes for Blue interiors. Here's a pic from one of the videos, notice the seat bottom part.

That's a good spot. Seat base looks a lot lighter in other images

Old 02-07-2022, 07:46 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 595 Posts

I already commented that this car will need an exhaust upgrade as it has the same crappy design muffler the 9A2 engine cars have.
Correct. But either way I'm with AP on this one. When you're sitting in it, you already have the GT3 wail being piped into the cabin at a ridiculous volume. That's what you hear as owner/driver so there's really no need to make a racket. With the regular GT4 we don't get any of that induction goodness so changing the tone of the exhaust makes more sense as it's all we've really got.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:49 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Correct. But either way I'm with AP on this one. When you're sitting in it, you already have the GT3 wail being piped into the cabin at a ridiculous volume. That's what you hear as owner/driver so there's really no need to make a racket. With the regular GT4 we don't get any of that induction goodness so changing the tone of the exhaust makes more sense as it's all we've really got.

Probably...but will decide once I have the car....a bit more proper Porsche tone/sound wont hurt and we may even gain a bit more power.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993RR
That's a good spot. Seat base looks a lot lighter in other images

IMO the top photo is more inline with Arctic Grey exterior color.......the bottom one looks more like regular silver.
I actually prefer the darker color, specially for those seat centers.
Also on the video the Deep Sea Blue is very dark.....I was kind of liking it on previous photos but not so sure now. Anyway, my config is with the Grey.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:38 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

My dealer is still expecting swatches for the interior.. Once he gets those I make my final choice. Trying to locate that video where you took that snip. Do you have the link?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:57 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
My dealer is still expecting swatches for the interior.. Once he gets those I make my final choice. Trying to locate that video where you took that snip. Do you have the link?
Old 02-07-2022, 11:17 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by very green R
So I have seen two you tubers with videos in German that I can not understand and now Sam from Seen through Glass in the UK give a description in his pod cast (Behind the Glass) of the ride he was given by Jorg B on the Austria Ice track.
Sam rode in a WP. It was intense and amazing. The exhaust of both WP and non WP sounded like crap but they were europe spec and had particulate filters.
The Video of Jorg B driving on the Nuberring was a US car with no particulate filters so the exhaust sounded better in that case.
Sam implied the WP car exhaust sounded slightly better due to the titanium tips (he actually said the WP had a magnesium muffler but I know better than that.)
The sound in the interior was very intense very loud and he could barely hear Jorg speak. Sam heard the sound of the air rushing thru the interior ducts to the engine.
Sam was slightly more impressed by the GT4RS by the experience than he had been before he got the ride. Sam said the GT4RS is not for him since it is too hardcore.
The other participants at the Ice Track were Porsche people and were not very excited about the GT4RS. Sam speculates maybe they are more interested in new variants of the 992.
Sam was surprised the car was not brittle, meaning the ride was fairly good even though the ice road had divits, bump, ice lumps, with the car in the soft suspension setting.
(AP said in the Top gear video the soft setting is what was developed to run on the Nuberring. The hard setting for driving on a very smooth track such as Silverstone.)

If interested in what Sam said start watching his podcast at time 14:00 and continue until 19:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F4jGOcxvlQ
Dude seemed confused, between WP vs non-WP, air intakes, mufflers, etc. Not sure what he exactly road in, I believe they had one of each. But he was describing differences that don't exactly exist.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:25 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

I can't wait to read some reviews and potentially drive this thing at PECLA. I've driven a GT3 on the track before, but this would be my first GT car that I would own, and I'm wondering if it would just be too insane even for weekend use.

I love it though.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:38 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

TY

When looking at the video it looks lighter than when I take a screen shot and save it as jpg.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:49 PM
Mavzyx
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

First....don't take the opinion of the overnight and I can buy any car "YouTube Experts" too seriously.

In order for the Nurburgring lap to be a record the car must be exactly as available for sale...that means GPF.
The US cars will have the core/matrix of the particulate filters the EU cars have......don't believe anything else.
They just wont be coated with the reactive material and monitored but the core will be there, just like in All the 9A2 Evo 4.0L engines.
This is done to make assembly simpler and keeping sound and ECU settings standard among worldwide cars.
That's why all the sound comments are about the intake but on the backgground you can hear the 718 muffler sound, just a bit different..

BTW...Manthey will not develop an exhaust system. They only deal with aerodynamics, suspension, brakes, wheels.....and now even more that their products are part of the Porsche family of optional equipment that you can order for your car.
To fix the exhaust you will need to keep an eye of JCR, Dundon. Cargraphics, Soul, etc.....but as AP mentions you could end up with a very loud car (but with a much better tone).
That's going to be my first move. Full Dundon setup.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:00 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
After watching the film from Behind The Glass, I asked Andreas Preuninger if the L.A. cars had a different exhaust to the cars Sam heard and saw In Austria.

This is the reply I got:

“No difference to the LA car at all. Dont judge sound based on video audio. cheers AP”

Then I commented on the possibility of a Manthey exhaust Option retrofit and got this reply:

”The sound of the car 75% comes from the intake. The high pitch scream is (way) more pronounced than in any GT3, incl. 3.8 Gen I. For the driver and codriver. Maybe not for the pedestrian outside that would maybe be annoyed. If you want a loud car for the sake of being loud and for attracting attention go for sth. italian. I can only say i do not use the 4RS as a daily because of the loud engine noise. Which is so damn rewarding when you drive just for fun.
Anyone else stating BS on the net making assumptions without having been in the car may keep hus opinion, i dont mind. I just shake my head and chuckle.”
Odin:
Thank you for getting AP to respond to Sam's observations as a passenger in the WP car with Jorg driving, I greatly appreciate your help.
Before I posted Sam's statements, which I only felt comfortable to correct his mis-statement about the WP muffler being made of magnesium, I realized that Sam is not as interested in, or as knowledgable on the GT4 RS as we are since we are looking to purchase one.
Sam is a good guy and a trusted journalist. The Ice Race event was not the normal venue for detailed journalism. I was sharing what he stated to help this group.

Whenever you speak with AP again in the future could you please get clarity on his discussion in his Top Gear interview of the difference between the WP vs non WP versions regarding intake sound?
I want to buy the non WP version, but I want to know if there is some obnoxious resonance or droaning intake sound in the non WP version that the CF parts in the WP resolves?

AP said in effect:
... another part of the WP is this CF scoop, the normal version doesn't feature this CF scoop.
What does this CF scoop do?
A little more pressure, a little more ram effect, its not much, it looks nice, and it sounds different
because you have this chamber (under CF scoop) which changes the intake sound to the better.
But its louder (then voice fading: a lit bit).
...When we sit inside you hear everything.
Such a symphony of different frequencies, depends on revs and engine load.
So entertaining. It tells you stories all the time while driving.

AP starts discussing the air intake sound at 15:47 timestamp:
Old 02-07-2022, 01:25 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=jmartpr;17957470]First....don't take the opinion of the overnight and I can buy any car "YouTube Experts" too seriously.

I appreciate so many of the posts you make here on this forum.
My post with Sam of Seen through Glass info was in direct reply to Dowson who asked:

"Who will be the first in the world to give their impressions of the car after driving it, rather than the Porsche spin?"

So I know of two videos in german who were before Sam's blog in english. I was giving the english report of Sam who rode in the WP with Jorg B. That is the best I could do to answer Dowson and to contribute to this forum at this time.
We did learn the ride is not that harsh over an ice road that is not so smooth.
I corrected Sam's mis-statement about a magnesium muffler, which I think he got confused with the magnesium wheels. I could not correct anything else even though I knew there might be more mis-information. Any review is a personal opinion anyway.
The time at which I make my post is not
relevant and I don't know if you are saying that I or Sam are "I can buy any car You Tube Experts". But I can say that neither or us fit your label and you do not know us.

Keep making your good posts with good information to help others.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:36 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have my order in at the dealer, and today I tried changing the brakes to PCCB's and I'm told that the factory sent a communication saying there's delays on PCCB's for 718's and certain 911's, and that currently the option of ordering it with PCCB's is not available.

I initially put my order in with Steel brakes, and decided to change, but seems I'm out of luck.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS