Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 11:14 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
Sucks cause I really wanted to do it, but when you think about it, it makes absolutely no sense to do it if you don't live nearby. You can just go and get a similar car for the same exact price on your own time....then you don't have to drive it back and put all those mindless highway miles on it/ pay to ship it.

It's a shame because I'm sure it'll be a really cool experience. Should be free/include shipping of the vehicle to your home or something.
Many people who choose this delivery option don't live nearby, and choose to rack up the so called miles bc thats what they bought the car to do... be on the road. I'm in PA, and my build date when I got my allocation was too close to FREEZE, so I couldn't get the experience in Atlanta, otherwise I would have; and all those miles would have been enjoyed on the drive home. Its completely understandable not choosing this option if you live in Central US.

FYI... you're probably not getting a similar car, for a similar price unless you're willing to make sacrifices - and it will most likely be used (most dealerships across the US dont have any 718 inventory on hand). These days, lightly used 718's in good spec are fetching MSRP. Don't forget that most new builds on 718's models are now seeing ADMS as a standard, so you have to factor that in too. Now is not the time to get all worked up about the experience you might miss out on if you choose, as allocations are hard to come by, and the end is looming for the 718. Just look past what wont work for you, and see into the future with all the fun experiences you can make with your new car vs. 1 day at PEC.

Last edited by BoxKing; 01-25-2023 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tonie90 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:30 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Many people who choose this delivery option don't live nearby, and choose to rack up the so called miles bc thats what they bought the car to do... be on the road. I'm in PA, and my build date when I got my allocation was too close to FREEZE, so I couldn't get the experience in Atlanta, otherwise I would have; and all those miles would have been enjoyed on the drive home. Its completely understandable not choosing this option if you live in Central US.

FYI... you're probably not getting a similar car, for a similar price unless you're willing to make sacrifices - and it will most likely be used (most dealerships across the US dont have any 718 inventory on hand). These days, lightly used 718's in good spec are fetching MSRP. Don't forget that most new builds on 718's models are now seeing ADMS as a standard, so you have to factor that in too. Now is not the time to get all worked up about the experience you might miss out on if you choose, as allocations are hard to come by, and the end is looming for the 718. Just look past what wont work for you, and see into the future with all the fun experiences you can make with your new car vs. 1 day at PEC.
Let me rephrase --

You can book a day at PECA/LA with the same model car you ordered for the same exact price as your car's delivery (what I meant by another car), so why be bothered doing it with yours, ESPECIALLY since the one you end up using on the track isn't even yours?

I didn't buy a garage queen, but putting on over 1k miles for a pointless road trip when mileage related depreciation is a real thing makes it ultimately a more expensive proposition than just...booking a day at PECA/LA and flying there/back. And I wouldn't call a full day or two of pure highway driving a fun day of driving.

It needs to be free/incentivized, otherwise going on your own time is just flat out more convenient/cheaper unless you live nearby.

Last edited by justince; 01-25-2023 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justince:
Bearrun21 (01-25-2023), TXRubicon (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,635 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Sucks cause I really wanted to do it, but when you think about it, it makes absolutely no sense to do it if you don't live nearby. You can just go and get a similar car for the same exact price on your own time....then you don't have to drive it back and put all those mindless highway miles on it/ pay to ship it.

It's a shame because I'm sure it'll be a really cool experience. Should be free/include shipping of the vehicle to your home or something.
Let me rephrase --

You can book a day at PECA/LA with the same model car you ordered for the same exact price as your car's delivery (what I meant by another car), so why be bothered doing it with yours, ESPECIALLY since the one you end up using on the track isn't even yours?

I didn't buy a garage queen, but putting on over 1k miles for a pointless road trip when mileage related depreciation is a real thing makes it ultimately a more expensive proposition than just...booking a day at PECA/LA and flying there/back. And I wouldn't call a full day or two of pure highway driving a fun day of driving.

It needs to be free/incentivized, otherwise going on your own time is just flat out more convenient/cheaper unless you live nearby.
Many of us think differently about putting miles on our cars, they were meant to be driven, and a road trip is an excellent way to do this, far from pointless in our opinion! You don't have to take the highways either, I never saw that written in the road trip manual?

As for your idea of free return shipping, Porsche already does this, it is called European Delivery!
The following 5 users liked this post by Westcoast:
BoxKing (01-25-2023), FASTRKMAN (01-25-2023), Klepper (01-25-2023), tonie90 (01-25-2023), X2Board (02-01-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:51 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 364 Posts

You think getting an allocation is hard, try getting an ED slot these days!

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Many of us think differently about putting miles on our cars, they were meant to be driven, and a road trip is an excellent way to do this, far from pointless in our opinion! You don't have to take the highways either, I never saw that written in the road trip manual?

As for your idea of free return shipping, Porsche already does this, it is called European Delivery!
Old 01-25-2023, 11:58 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't disagree, like I said I don't plan on having a garage queen. I checked out a few routes to go on the way home, and none of them were appealing (back to the northeast with a Feb delivery, takes places like myrtle beach out of the question unless you get lucky with the weather). Couldn't care less for DC since I was there recently. Not particularly interested in doing tail of the dragon during a break-in period either. In fact, the main selling point of it to me would be to break in the car on the way home. But, I ultimately decided against it.

To each their own I suppose! Perhaps I may have felt differently if it was a late spring / early summer delivery and I'd hop around to charleston/myrtle, but that's not the case for me.

Last edited by justince; 01-25-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:25 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
You think getting an allocation is hard, try getting an ED slot these days!
Try getting an allocation, an ED allocation, and a courtesy delivery - together!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lucifer:
brock256 (01-25-2023), santiago660 (01-25-2023), TXRubicon (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:42 PM
dub
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Try getting an allocation, an ED allocation, and a courtesy delivery - together!

The following 3 users liked this post by dub:
brock256 (01-25-2023), Bucketlistx911 (01-25-2023), santiago660 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:53 PM
sharpmoney
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i do live by, about 30min, which is why i am hoping to get an out of state dealer to sell to me with the PECLA delivery...since the west coast dealers are still thinking it is the summer of 2022.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:35 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't disagree, like I said I don't plan on having a garage queen. I checked out a few routes to go on the way home, and none of them were appealing (back to the northeast with a Feb delivery, takes places like myrtle beach out of the question unless you get lucky with the weather). Couldn't care less for DC since I was there recently. Not particularly interested in doing tail of the dragon during a break-in period either. In fact, the main selling point of it to me would be to break in the car on the way home. But, I ultimately decided against it.

To each their own I suppose! Perhaps I may have felt differently if it was a late spring / early summer delivery and I'd hop around to charleston/myrtle, but that's not the case for me.
Time of the year and destination certainly play a majority roll when deciding on a road trip, and of course the delivery date pins all of this down.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:04 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

did they change things in the last few years? when i bought my '17 CS i wanted euro delivery and was told it was something like $2k or so more (could be less but i know it was over $1k). it is advertised as free but it somehow costs the dealer money (my SA was a former and current DE student/participant and had no reason to lie to me). i did have a 4% discount at the time which may have been a factor.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
did they change things in the last few years? when i bought my '17 CS i wanted euro delivery and was told it was something like $2k or so more (could be less but i know it was over $1k). it is advertised as free but it somehow costs the dealer money (my SA was a former and current DE student/participant and had no reason to lie to me). i did have a 4% discount at the time which may have been a factor.
Not sure of the possible differences US as opposed to Canada but the last time I asked it was free to the buyer, but I think the dealer was absorbing any extra cost on the process?
Old 01-25-2023, 02:38 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
It is $2995 to the dealer, some (like mine) will ask for that amount back. The dealer gets an extra bonus allocation to cover this cost. Maybe they will forget about it when the time comes...

Last edited by Lucifer; 01-25-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:51 PM
bpeacock
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 191 Posts

I have a Cali store I work with a lot with a Cayman GTS4.0 Allocation. Can do the deal at 7.5k over MSRP total. Need a Cali client for it.
(813) 838-8758
Old 01-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lucifer
It is $2995 to the dealer, some (like mine) will ask for that amount back. The dealer gets an extra bonus allocation to cover this cost. Maybe they will forget about it when the time comes...
Yes, I remember hearing this as well...
Old 01-25-2023, 02:59 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Yes, I remember hearing this as well...
I have the internal ED brochure given to dealers, it is a PCNA official document. They call this "On-Top Allocation"

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker