Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 05:20 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,286 Likes on 720 Posts

So it looks like most of the people on this thread are first time Porsche buyers. I'm waiting on my second one so let me give you what I've learned.

Production takes about 3-5 days tops. My GT4 was done within 3 days and my BGTS was done in 4.

Production can be quick or slow for a variety of reasons. The general rule is that the more CXX items you've chosen, the longer it will take. If there are any supply constraints that will take up time as well.

Production to delivery can take more than the estimated month. Some cars leave Emden immediately and others get stuck at the port for weeks on end. The boat ride over itself is roughly a month long depending on route. My GT4 arrived at Benicia Port in 3 weeks. My BGTS will take 37 days to arrive at Hueneme Port of which I don't even know if the car will be unloaded there. This is because it's traveling the Magellan Straight and not going through Panama Canal.

My GT4 took about 8 months from when I received my allocation (V200 code) till delivery. My BGTS is looking to be about 6 months from received allocation till delivery. I personally was hoping it would be sooner as supply constraints aren't as common nowadays and there seemed to be less 718 being built. But oh well.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Spree17 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:52 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks a lot for your input. And this is also my 2nd new Porsche, but the first one was a deal-gone-bad just-arrived inventory unit, so didn't go thru the ordering process. Anyway, you just confirmed the obvious to me: There was no way production could take 6 weeks, when 23,600 units were built last year. But like you said, actual production time of 4 to 5 days is very different from total time, due to possible delays/constraints. What I don't understand is why even start production of a car when not all parts are available; that typically doesn't happen. Porsche has a weird system, but guess it works for them. Anyway, the main timing issue seems to be time sitting at Emden, so hope we have good luck with that. And talking about constraints, do you happen to know if we could look up somewhere which options are on constraint? It'd be great to know. I didn't order anything special, but it's always possible even some common options could be in short supply. I'll be interesting to watch our cars' journeys thru this process.

Finally, so we won't be able to see what the salesman just sent me thru MyPorsche then? It's called 'Porsche Sales & Service Management System'. Guess we could always ask our salesmen for that every once in a while.
Spree17 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 04:37 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by JCtx
Thanks a lot for your input. And this is also my 2nd new Porsche, but the first one was a deal-gone-bad just-arrived inventory unit, so didn't go thru the ordering process. Anyway, you just confirmed the obvious to me: There was no way production could take 6 weeks, when 23,600 units were built last year. But like you said, actual production time of 4 to 5 days is very different from total time, due to possible delays/constraints. What I don't understand is why even start production of a car when not all parts are available; that typically doesn't happen. Porsche has a weird system, but guess it works for them. Anyway, the main timing issue seems to be time sitting at Emden, so hope we have good luck with that. And talking about constraints, do you happen to know if we could look up somewhere which options are on constraint? It'd be great to know. I didn't order anything special, but it's always possible even some common options could be in short supply. I'll be interesting to watch our cars' journeys thru this process.

Finally, so we won't be able to see what the salesman just sent me thru MyPorsche then? It's called 'Porsche Sales & Service Management System'. Guess we could always ask our salesmen for that every once in a while.
I know Porsche uses a “Just in time” production process like Toyota does to reduce extra parts but in a time where supply constraints can happen randomly, it can cause unwanted delays. Keep in mind also there’s no reason to not start building a car if only the Bose speakers were unavailable. During Covid a good number of cars sat at Emden waiting for the Bose speakers to be installed due to a part constraint.

As far as looking up what parts might be causing the delay that I’m not sure. I always saw someone post it to one of these threads but never knew their sources. But also with these cars production coming to an end we are seeing less and less people be active on these forums.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
InfamousMS (07-07-2024), Spree17 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:27 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that's strange. With Corvettes, for example, GM makes public all constraints, to encourage buyers to avoid them, if they want a quicker delivery. And in some cases, you cannot even order some options, like for example the Z51 package, due to strange limits somebody imposes. I knew any Porsche option labeled 'exclusive manufaktur' could cause delays, but I didn't choose any of those. I chose Bose though (like most buyers), but those delays should be over. Just hope I'm 'lucky' with the timing between end of production, and a boat ride, which seems to be the biggest delay by far.
Old 07-06-2024, 10:08 PM
gymdent
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

According to a contact well placed in the Porsche sales hierarchy, TYD estimates are next to worthless. It takes 2 to 3 days to build a Cayman, then it goes to quality check, and is brought to port to wrap. If there’s a ship at the port it goes right on and takes about a week to reach the US east coast. Then about a week to 10 days to arrive at the dealership. That is, if all goes well. Of course, there could be a delay waiting for a ship to arrive or leave port, and/or another delay at the port of arrival.

My Cayman GTS started production 7/1. Therefore, production is complete. According to the “Sales and Vehicle Management System” report sent directly to my dealer the planned arrival at the Long Island dealership is 8/11. Maybe.

According to TYD, established arrival at the dealership is 11/10. Go figure!

I trust this has given supreme clarity to a perplexing situation. In summary, we’ll eventually get our cars when they arrive!
Old 07-07-2024, 02:15 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Thank you for that report. Yeah, I have hopes the car will arrive sooner than the predicted October 15, only because I don't want the risk of having to drive back on summer tires, if weather turns to crap. But I'm not counting on that. Like you said, our cars will arrive when they arrive. Ha ha. I think we'll have a MUCH more realistic window once the ship is sailing. In my case, car will arrive in TX, so it's going to take significantly longer than the east coast. I'd be fine if it's in September, which should be quite possible.
Old 07-07-2024, 02:28 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Thank you for that report. Yeah, I have hopes the car will arrive sooner than the predicted October 15, only because I don't want the risk of having to drive back on summer tires, if weather turns to crap. But I'm not counting on that. Like you said, our cars will arrive when they arrive. Ha ha. I think we'll have a MUCH more realistic window once the ship is sailing. In my case, car will arrive in TX, so it's going to take significantly longer than the east coast. I'd be fine if it's in September, which should be quite possible.
lol i wouldnt count on that too much either. According to TYD, my car is still about 55 days out. However it jumped on a ship June 20th and should be rounding the south tip of South America sometime this week. Once then its probably about a week to a week and a half up the cost to Hueneme Port in LA. I would expect that it would arrive there around July 15th. Unfortunately Porsche does not unload cars there and according to some people here, they are expecting their cars in San Diego. Now either one of two things will happen. Either it will leave Hueneme Port and then sail down to San Diego and then leave there to sail up to Benicia (northern california) where i am located. Or, it will forget San Diego completely and unload all Porsche cars off in Benicia. If it does the first option, i probably wont see my car until the end of August which is what the ETA is right now. However i'm of the mindset that it will do the second option and go straight to Benicia after Hueneme Port. The reason i believe this is the case is because when i bought my GT4, i was doing LA PEC delivery. Instead of getting dropped off at San Diego and making the quick 2-3 drive up to LA, it instead dropped my car off at Benicia Port, and i watched the car pass by my house on the way down to LA (through tracking). You would think the smart thing to do would be to drop off the cars that are destined for SoCal to be dropped off in San Diego but they didnt do that. And so i'm of the opinion that after Port Hueneme, it will sail straight to Benicia, and be there around July 23rd. Of which it will sit at Benicia Port and deal with Customs for about a week or two and then make the quick 1 hour drive down to my local dealership in Fremont. Which places my ETA at first week of August which is 3 weeks sooner than what TYD is saying and is the ETA that my sales rep gave me.
Spree17 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 02:50 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

That'd be great. Please keep us posted. Hey, I have a question for you, since your GT4 was manual (or are there PDKs?). Was wondering what's the difference between sport and sport+ in a manual Cayman with sport chrono. Ideally for me, sport+ would be just like sport, but without the farts. But it's probably going to make the throttle more aggressive, no? And what about traction and stability control? And finally, does it make the fake Soundaktor noise louder too? Although that I could fix easily, by removing the #10 fuse at the rear, which I'll probably do right away regardless, just to see if I like the natural sound better (like many do). I always drive Porsches in sport. Too lethargic in normal, plus engine runs a lot cooler too. Oh, and will you change the shifter for the GT4 one? I'm almost sure I'll do that, but wondering what's your take on that as well. Thanks.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-07-2024 at 02:52 AM.
Spree17 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 01:21 PM
Shorlaw
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here’s my timeline to date, currently on a ship to Halifax

Spree17 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 03:03 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hopefully very soon. But man, Porsche is still giving itself 1.5 freaking months of window that late; that's ridiculous. You can't plan anything like that. But at least yours is WAY ahead than ours.
Old 07-07-2024, 09:33 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

That'd be great. Please keep us posted. Hey, I have a question for you, since your GT4 was manual (or are there PDKs?). Was wondering what's the difference between sport and sport+ in a manual Cayman with sport chrono. Ideally for me, sport+ would be just like sport, but without the farts. But it's probably going to make the throttle more aggressive, no? And what about traction and stability control? And finally, does it make the fake Soundaktor noise louder too? Although that I could fix easily, by removing the #10 fuse at the rear, which I'll probably do right away regardless, just to see if I like the natural sound better (like many do). I always drive Porsches in sport. Too lethargic in normal, plus engine runs a lot cooler too. Oh, and will you change the shifter for the GT4 one? I'm almost sure I'll do that, but wondering what's your take on that as well. Thanks.
My GT4 was a PDK, the thing with the GT4 and the SPyder is that they do not have a drive mode dial. For the PDK at least, there is just a PDK sport button and thats it. It doesnt affect throttle mapping, or anything else, all it does is adjust how quick the PDK shifts and where to shift up if left in auto.

For anything of the lower trim, from what i gather, Sport gives you more agressive throttle mapping at the low end and you feel more punch, but Sport+ changes the throttle mapping to be super linear across the board (this is in more aligned with how NA engines drive anyways so i see myself being in this mode basically all the time as i have a 4.0). The thing is, the GT4 and GTS 4.0 dont really get the farts like in the turbo engines. It was much more prevalent in the 981 Cayman/Boxster but they seemed to have decided to not tune it in with the 718 NA engines. Also the lower trims have a soundaktor wherase the GT4 and Spyder have something a bit different so again, unsure about that. My GTS will also be PDK so no switching of the shifter for me at all.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Oh, okay; thank you. Your car probably has a 'symposer', which is what my ex-GTS had, which is a pipe from the intake tube, to inside the vehicle. You can plug them, but it's quite a bit more involved than just pulling a fuse. I'd call that semi-fake, but I don't like intake noise myself. What I didn't like about my ex-'16 Cayman GTS PDK was the excessive farting in sport (like you mentioned), and that there was no difference in cabin noise with PSE on or off (the difference outside was dramatic, however). I think the 2.0T sounds more subdued in both counts, but won't find out for sure until I drive it home (800+ miles). And based on your comment, will give it a try on sport+, and see how it feels. And didn't know the GT4 came with PDK, so learned something new today. Ha ha.
Old 07-09-2024, 10:07 PM
b4udoo
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys! I have a CGTS build starting 7/16, complete 9/2 and so on. If I hear of any news worthy of repeating I'll pass it along. My car is going to a TX dealership, Jctx our cars may be shipped together.
Spree17 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 10:19 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Awesome. Congrats. Where do you live? And which dealer? And yes, I bet they will travel together, since they seem to be on the same batch that starts production 7/16. And even the El Paso cars arrive at Freeport, so wherever in TX you are, it should arrive there as well. Hey, we can go break them in together in the Hill Country. Ha ha.
Old 07-14-2024, 04:11 PM
darlinboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

My '24 Boxster has been sitting at the German port since June 5th. The projected delivery date at that time was July 24th, but it has been pushed out several times now, and is currently October 5th. My dealer hasn't been able to provide any explanation on the delays. Hope your experience is better!

Last edited by darlinboy; 07-14-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Spree17 (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.