Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 03:59 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

That's what I think too. Just sent the salesman a message, to check what's going on when he gets back to work Monday. I was surprised I never received anything official from him, dealer, or Porsche, via email; just texts, and chopped off at that. Not very professional. Ha ha.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:04 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
It cannot be. Google says Porsche built 23,600 Caymans and Boxsters in '23, so the math just doesn't add up. They built an average of 64 cars per day. Don't know how big the factory is, but it can't be more than a few days per car, or a week tops. Let's do something, since you have the ability to track your car. Can you find out when it started production? If yes, we're in business. Just track when it ends production, and we'll have the true answer. The car might sit at the factory finished for a while, but that doesn't count as 'production'. Maybe during the COVID days they took that long, due to chip shortages, where cars were almost finished waiting for chips/parts outside for weeks. But that should be a thing of the past by now. We'll find out soon enough with your car.
I cant imagine that they have so many cars of each color in each transmission just ready to go where the changing of specific options only takes a few days but maybe I'm wrong. Just to paint and car and have it bake takes a bit. My app says:
July 1 Manufacturing starts soon.
July 14 Manufacturing has now started.
Aug 29 Manufacturing is now complete.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Porsche gives almost FOUR MONTHS window for delivery, so they clearly not stating the time it actually takes. Just a mayor CYA guesstimate. Do you know what are the actual codes that mean beginning and end of production? Those are the ones to look for. And we'll know. Anyway, if those figures were correct, there's just no way they could build 23K+ cars a year. So the real number is somewhere in-between that. Ha ha. My guess is 2 weeks (not 8), but we'll see. Thank you for posting that.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:33 PM
Kram71
Racer

Porsche gives almost FOUR MONTHS window for delivery, so they clearly not stating the time it actually takes. Just a mayor CYA guesstimate. Do you know what are the actual codes that mean beginning and end of production? Those are the ones to look for. And we'll know. Anyway, if those figures were correct, there's just no way they could build 23K+ cars a year. So the real number is somewhere in-between that. Ha ha. My guess is 2 weeks (not 8), but we'll see. Thank you for posting that.
I could see 2 weeks but not 2 days. Just depends on a variety of factors at the plant.

The app says:
July 1 Manufacturing starts soon.
July 14 Manufacturing has now started.
Aug 29 Manufacturing is now complete.
Aug 29-Sep 4 Your Porsche is on the way to the German port
Aug 30-Sep 28 Your Porsche has arrived at the German port
Aug 30-Oct 12 Your Porsche has left the German port
Sep16-Nov 4 Your Porsche is at the local entry port

Sep 16-Dec 23 Your Porsche is en route to your Porsche Center
Old 07-04-2024, 04:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Spree17
Paying $3000 extra to have a 2025 would have been a tough decision for me. Some people on this board said miles are more important than manufacture year so hopefully that is the case. I think production takes much longer than a few days. Probably 6-8 weeks.
Production at Zuff was averaging around 5 days.

Osnabruke appears to be around 14 days for cars that don’t get stuck.

Exception is cars that have late July production, they can get stuck during the annual shutdown
Old 07-04-2024, 04:46 PM
Kram71
Racer

Actually I just watched a video that said 1500 workers touch a Porsche during its 2 days down the assembly line so you are much more correct than I am.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:47 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Production at Zuff was averaging around 5 days.

Osnabruke appears to be around 14 days for cars that don’t get stuck.

Exception is cars that have late July production, they can get stuck during the annual shutdown
That is amazing. Took me longer to choose my options than for them to build the car.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (07-11-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 04:51 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Agreed. Not on a Porsche. Just the paint prep of the chassis probably takes that long indeed. But based on output, more than 2 weeks just doesn't add up. Somebody who has visited the factory would have a better idea. Constraints could extend production time, but I imagine the factory just doesn't start production of a car nowadays if all parts are not ready. That's probably why that 6MT memo was sent to dealers, because PDKs are probably in short supply. And why our cars are getting built earlier than expected (August allocations). But I'm happy about that. Just hope our cars don't sit for weeks after being finished, like some have stated.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 03:12 PM
Kram71
Racer

I only drive around 3000 miles a year and I have 2 other cars. I was wondering how did you guys will approach the break in period?
Old 07-05-2024, 03:47 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Same here (with about 3K miles per year), brother. In my case, I'll have to drive the car from Austin to El Paso, which I'll do the long way (about 800 miles), so that will pretty much take care of break-in. But for some reason, Porsche calls for 2K miles, I think, which sounds a bit ridiculous. Ha ha. Having said that, I'll probably drive the car like if I was breaking it in (below 4K rpm) the great majority of the time, so I'm not too bothered by that long mileage. Being a turbo, I don't think there is a lot more going on over that anyway, but we'll have to wait to put that to the test. Ha ha. My dealer said to just do the break-in for 500 miles, which is the typical interval. If you have to go over that on a passing maneuver or something, I wouldn't worry about it. The most important miles are probably the first 100, so do a lot of brisk accelerations to 3-4K, then engine braking, to sit the rings. And shift a lot, so a twisty road is the best way. It's not good to just baby the engine either.

On a different note, the dealer sent me a page (in a weird file, so cannot post it). But it has this info:
FIXED V250 Vehicle fixed 7/1/24 (what the heck does that mean?)
PR00 V260 Vehicle entry to body shop (CP 0 0) 7/17/24
PR78 V270 Vehicle exit production (CP 7 8) 9/02/24
PR80 V300 Vehicle completion (CP 8 0) 9/03/24
several more steps, then:
DEAINV O400 Dealer invoiced est 10/8/24.

Crazy that production can take 6 weeks, and still build 23,600 Caymans/Boxsters in a year (in '23, according to Google). Something doesn't add up. But looks like ETA will most likely be in October. The range is 9/23-12/19, so don't think it'd be any earlier than that. But hope it's not beyond 10/15, since the car will be in summer tires. And I want to drive it back still in nice weather. But we'll see.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-05-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 03:53 PM
Kram71
Racer

Same here (with about 3K miles per year), brother. In my case, I'll have to drive the car from Austin to El Paso, which I'll do the long way (about 800 miles), so that will pretty much take care of break-in. But for some reason, Porsche calls for 2K miles, I think, which sounds a bit ridiculous. Ha ha. Having said that, I'll probably drive the car like if I was breaking it in (below 4K rpm) the great majority of the time, so I'm not too bothered by that long mileage. Being a turbo, I don't think there is a lot more going on over that anyway, but we'll have to wait to put that to the test. Ha ha. My dealer said to just do the break-in for 500 miles, which is the typical interval. If you have to go over that on a passing maneuver or something, I wouldn't worry about it. The most important miles are probably the first 100, so do a lot of brisk accelerations to 3-4K, then engine braking, to sit the rings. And shift a lot, so a twisty road is the best way. It's not good to just baby the engine.

On a different note, the dealer sent me a page (in a weird file, so cannot post it). But it has this info:
FIXED V250 Vehicle fixed 7/1/24 (what the heck does that mean?)
PR00 V260 Vehicle entry to body shop (CP 0 0) 7/17/24
PR78 V270 Vehicle exit production (CP 7 8) 9/02/24
PR80 V300 Vehicle completion (CP 8 0) 9/03/24
several more steps, then:
DEAINV O400 Dealer invoiced est 10/8/24.

Crazy that production can take 6 weeks, and still build 23,600 Caymans/Boxsters in a year (in '23, according to Google). So looks like it'll be October. The range is 9/23-12/19, so don't think it'd be any earlier than that. But hope it's not beyond 10/15, since the car will be in summer tires. And I want to drive it back still in nice weather. But we'll see.
Im just guessing but I would guess that your fixed date may be your change freeze date. If so your car is around 2 weeks after mine. My freeze date was 6-17-24. Did you ask him to add your car to the system so you can download the Track Your Dream app?
Old 07-05-2024, 03:58 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

No, my freeze date was also 6/17. I didn't include that step because seemed irrelevant. It's CFP V210 6/17/24. But that probably doesn't mean much. My local dealer also has a PDK Cayman with the same 6/17/24 freeze date, and his estimated production date is in Sep. BUT, his ETA is Oct 08, so exactly like mine. How weird is that? But if his production date is really in Sep, there's no freaking way it'll be delivered in Oct.

I complained to the salesman why I couldn't see my car, and he sent that page, and asking to confirm my email, so I'll try the Porsche site now, and see if I can see the car.
Old 07-05-2024, 04:01 PM
Kram71
Racer

No, my freeze date was also 6/17. I didn't include that step because seemed irrelevant. It's CFP V210 6/17/24. But that probably doesn't mean much. My local dealer also has a PDK Cayman with the same 6/17/24 freeze date, and his estimated production date is in Sep. BUT, his ETA is Oct 08, so exactly like mine. How weird is that? But if his production date is really in Sep, there's no freaking way it'll be delivered in Oct.

I complained to the salesman why I couldn't see my car, and he sent that page, and asking to confirm my email, so I'll try the Porsche site now, and see if I can see the car.
Then maybe your fixed date aligns with my 7-1-24 starting production soon date on the app. Just guessing. Maybe Google the codes? Hope your car/email gets added. The app is good for more than just dates.
Old 07-05-2024, 04:22 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Just tried, and same error, that the number I entered is not supported. Hopefully Monday. Local dealer GM just confirmed his car has exactly the same dates as mine, so Porsche probably gives everybody the same dates. He was told his PDK would be produced in September, but that doesn't make sense, since it'd be a '25 by then. Apparently that was the END DATE, like we all have (9/03/24). At least I know my car will come in thru the port of Freeport, TX. Yours? And what's your estimated exit port date? Mine 10/08. Apparently dealers get invoiced at that point. And then the trip to the dealer, so looks like Mid October at best. Oh well.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-05-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 04:54 PM
Kram71
Racer

Just tried, and same error, that the number I entered is not supported. Hopefully Monday. Local dealer GM just confirmed his car has exactly the same dates as mine, so Porsche probably gives everybody the same dates. He was told his PDK would be produced in September, but that doesn't make sense, since it'd be a '25 by then. Apparently that was the END DATE, like we all have (9/03/24). At least I know my car will come in thru the port of Freeport, TX. Yours? And what's your estimated exit port date? Mine 10/08. Apparently dealers get invoiced at that point. And then the trip to the dealer, so looks like Mid October at best. Oh well.
I only have the estimated dates that the app gave me. I posted them earlier. My sales agent said delivery will be in October though. No idea on which port. The dealer told me the MY is based on the allocation not delivery.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.