Sponsored by:

The 718 EV Follow-on Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:17 PM
lion shf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
I'm not even remotely an environmentalist but I did daily a Tesla model S for 6 years (not currently) and most of these arguments about insufficient electricity to power the transition to EVs are kind of laughable if you've actually owned one. 95% of the time I charged my Tesla overnight when electrical demand is near zero and we have vast amounts of wasted electrical production capacity that goes unused. You almost never need to charge a 300 mile range EV during the day. These doomsday scenarios like what if we all charged every car in America all at once at 1 PM on a tuesday, that's just not reality. Honestly I think I could count on fingers and toes in 6 years when I had to charge during a time when there was a peak demand for electricity.
and those in apartments, your answer?
Old 03-06-2022, 01:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by lion shf
and those in apartments, your answer?
They are adding them to condos and apartment complexes here in Florida...
Old 03-06-2022, 08:04 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,707 Likes on 944 Posts

Ya everyone loves 5 figure special assessments so thumbs down to that getting voted in at most strat run condo buildings. I can't see rental condo buildings doing that either until need to which is going to be awhile. No one renting is going to pay 20g to retrofit their stall.

That develops on my ferry thought too. Who wants to live in a condo full of EV's hooked up to charging stations with a potential mini chernobyl going off in the basement. UK building regulations for example do not allow for the evacuation of a condo tower in the event of a fire. Their SOP is to keep everyone in it and put the fire out and a significant portion of towers there do not have sprinklers. Maybe the surprise nuclear fire EV's have going on right now are going to be a non issue in 10 years but still seems like another major safety problem being ignored that needs solving.
The following users liked this post:
borivojc (08-11-2023)
Old 03-06-2022, 08:22 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Ya everyone loves 5 figure special assessments so thumbs down to that getting voted in at most strat run condo buildings. I can't see rental condo buildings doing that either until need to which is going to be awhile. No one renting is going to pay 20g to retrofit their stall.

That develops on my ferry thought too. Who wants to live in a condo full of EV's hooked up to charging stations with a potential mini chernobyl going off in the basement. UK building regulations for example do not allow for the evacuation of a condo tower in the event of a fire. Their SOP is to keep everyone in it and put the fire out and a significant portion of towers there do not have sprinklers. Maybe the surprise nuclear fire EV's have going on right now are going to be a non issue in 10 years but still seems like another major safety problem being ignored that needs solving.
They recently added 2 in the condo next to us with no special assessments and our building is getting 2 as well this year, also with no special assessments.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:27 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Who paid for that? It's about 20g rough estimate right now to do a stall. And is it for titled stalls or an extra floating stall the strata owns and everyone has a share in like visitor parking?

edit: That might sound dickish but i'm genuinely curious how it's being done elsewhere as it's going to affect me at multiple properties someday.

Last edited by Zhao; 03-06-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Who paid for that? It's about 20g rough estimate right now to do a stall. And is it for titled stalls or an extra floating stall the strata owns and everyone has a share in like visitor parking?
All the wealthy people that live here via reserves from monthly dues! Just about every condo here is installing them, even many of the older ones along the beach are doing the same. And to get these done the HOAs must vote them in so they are gaining popularity.
Zhao (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 08:34 PM
Zhao
Drifting

ah so just well managed condo buildings run by people who plan for the future. ya, that's rare here lol. I only have one property with a solid 25 year plan collecting more than it needs in dues for a good reserve.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:50 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

LOL the grid can't support mass EV adoption, hate to tell you the truth but its a fact. It would take trillions up trillions of grid upgrades from Plants(including many many new plants) to neighborhood grid wiring to make it a reality.
George from MD (04-27-2023)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:24 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 307 Posts

Half of the lithium in the world is produced by Russia!! There is already a shortage of lithium, and Putin has now gone berserk. And it is now obvious to anyone who reads, that lithium electric car batteries are responsible for hellacious fires. I sure wouldn't want one in my garage.
Now, we learned about that car carrier ship that sunk after a persistent fire, that was likely caused by a lithium electric car battery. On that ship carrying 4000 Porsches, Lambos, Bentleys, and other VW brands. Shipping insurance carriers are now VERY concerned. New mines in the USA require so much red tape and regulation that permits take 20 years minimum before a new mine can be dug here. Electric cars will not be a good or viable option soon, and that will likely continue till the new iron battery technology is refined and commercially available. That will likely take 10-20 years. So, now you have the foreseeable future. I'm sure not going to buy one. The USA has proven oil and gas reserves to last more than a century now. We just need new leaders.

Last edited by PCA1983; 03-06-2022 at 09:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by PCA1983:
*991* (03-13-2022), 8250RPM (03-17-2022), abarthguy (03-07-2022), borivojc (08-11-2023)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:05 AM
b-grif
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
LOL the grid can't support mass EV adoption, hate to tell you the truth but its a fact. It would take trillions up trillions of grid upgrades from Plants(including many many new plants) to neighborhood grid wiring to make it a reality.
Yeah, I don't think that most people get this. Where does everyone think this magic amount of power is going to come from? People pretend like electricity comes from thin air. Go to a formula E race and go see the giant diesel generators running by the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by b-grif:
8250RPM (03-17-2022), George from MD (04-27-2023)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:11 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b-grif
Yeah, I don't think that most people get this. Where does everyone think this magic amount of power is going to come from? People pretend like electricity comes from thin air. Go to a formula E race and go see the giant diesel generators running by the track.
I don't think anyone said this is going to happen overnight...it is going to take a LONG time but it is growing each year, and that is a fact.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:45 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Not too worried about the infrastructure where I am. We have almost infinite natural gas we can't sell to any other country because no one will ok a pipeline. When you remove red tape of having to contact every group in north america to see if it see if it hurts their feelings infrastructure can move quick. So if it comes down to it, I don't see it as a big problem where I am, but energy is the one thing we have infinite of where I am.

The problem that keeps bothering me is it's going to make driving a car much more expensive, but I know a lot of progressive elites love that idea. Make the world 'better' for yourself by pricing the poors out of doing what you don't want to give up. Stack them in 250sq ft condos and price them out of owning a car and pay everyone a wage that is just enough to live off of but no more; the progressive dream. I say that because the progressives in my city have had an aggressive plan of making traffic worse instead of making public transit better as a strategy to make more people use public transit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
8250RPM (03-17-2022), wizee (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:56 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

This has been their plan in California for decades!
Old 03-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Looks amazing!
Would love it
I think it’s looks amazing because they finally did the right thing and blacked out the windshield frame. They should pay me for the idea though…
Old 03-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Aronis
I have seen no evidence of this were I live or any of my family or friends live.

Current US stats: Per Household kWh use is about 893. Average EV car requires 30 kWh per 100 miles. If you drive 1000 miles month (fairly common miles per year? 12,000) you would need about 300 kWh per month and if you have TWO EV's that would be 600 KWH on top of the average 893. That is a 68 percent increase in electricity demand.

Out grid is fragile. The demand of EV car's will not be met easily and not without a huge expense.

Right now you see a EV charge station here and there. For example at my place of work they have one. So you think that in 5 years they will have instead of parking meters, EV charge stations every 20 feet down the sidewalk?

You can measure KWhour use. What do you expect that to rise to if say 20 percent of all cars are EV? 30%?

You have more than one car? I'd expect you would have more than one EV then also. How will two EV car's per household effect the Grid?

Gasoline is very efficient from the ground well to the lawnmower. EV not so much.

UNLESS you wake up some morning and can see off in the distance from where you live a nice new Nuclear Power Plant, EV makes little sense to me.

Sure they are fast. Sure they are fun. So is a V12 Bentley, but we are not all driving those either.

Mike
You’re 100% right and an intellect.

EV is classic Jevon’s Paradox.

Anyone believing otherwise is fooled.
MechEngr1287 (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: The 718 EV Follow-on Discussion Thread