Sponsored by:

Mission R = Cayman E

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:12 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurs
Ironically, we are partly in this position because 30 years ago everybody, not the government, has decided to drive huge gas-guzzling SUVs because they somehow made them fell manly and "safe".
Let's go back a little further: the government came up with very aggressive CAFE standards in the 70's that forced auto makers into producing small, flimsy, lightweight, and under-powered vehicles in an attempt to meet those fuel economy goals. No one really liked those cars, especially when you couldn't fit a family with three kids (or your kids and the neighbors' kids) in a single vehicle to go to football or baseball practice. IIHS also started doing significant crash testing, which revealed that these small, flimsy, lightweight, and under-powered vehicles did very poorly in many common accident scenarios, but especially ones that involved larger vehicles like pickup trucks and SUVs. It's at this point that the nation pivoted and started buying SUVs en masse—they had the power, space, and safety that the crappy econoboxes lacked because they were exempt from the CAFE standards. It was the "soccer moms" who switched from Dodge Caravans to SUVs, and those SUVs were definitely safer than the Dodge Omnis of the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by sobiloff:
AlexCeres (10-10-2021), The Pinkoboe (09-30-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 11:00 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
.Edit. I’m incorrect. Small SUVs are available under 3,600 pounds. If I can get a Subaru Crosstrak at 3,300 pounds and a Nissan Rogue at 3450, why does my Cayman weigh so much?
Cars posing as an SUV.

Crosstrek makes ~150hp to 180hp, most expensive Rogue makes ~180hp. Driveline, brakes, and suspension scale.

Gussied up appliances. Bet they can offroad with the best of the Honda Accords.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:20 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
as you pointed out we are talking ~650lbs / ~3650lbs total. given the 911 currently has weights from 3,354lbs to 3,790lbs i think porsche can handle the slight bump in weight without sacrificing performance despite your reasoning...

nope, nothing that suncoast did. it is a problem that 2017 cayman S models have, no other versions (at least none have been reported). it happens to me with regularity and i've added the 3rd rad and the updated servo temp sensor. i can't go more than 20 mins of pushing it on track before it sets in like clockwork. temps never got over 71F this weekend at mid-ohio and it happened every single run. in real world stats i lost approximately 30mph at the braking zone of the back straight when the heat soak had set in (typically hit 142mph, could only get to 112-113mph max).
Gotcha - BTW, wasn't blaming Suncoast, just hypothesizing that they had inadvertently wound up with some combination of mods that promoted this. My car is a 2018; may explain why I haven't seen the problem.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:06 AM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 71 Posts

New Road & Track article about the upcoming electric 718:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...-core-battery/
Old 10-06-2021, 03:56 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
New Road & Track article about the upcoming electric 718:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...-core-battery/
What a bunch of BS. "By putting battery where the engine used to be, we are staying true to our race car heritage!" Are the going to build an electric 911 with all the batteries behind the rear axle?

The center of gravity is going to be higher than in the "skateboard" design, but since the battery sits only behind the seats, they don't have to protect the whole underbody from the intrusion, saving some weight.

There is a reason why most of the manufacturing rushing to embrace electric design: more flexible packaging. It is in fact much cheaper to design and build a car without worrying about exhaust, transmission, fuel lines, etc. etc., but you can still charge extra for it by slapping LED displays everywhere and calling it "FutRIStiC!". And judging from the Taycan sales numbers, people swallow it hook, line and sinker.

Last edited by Hurs; 10-06-2021 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hurs:
mikedotd (10-06-2021), unclemat (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 04:37 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

What a bunch of BS. "By putting battery where the engine used to be, we are staying true to our race car heritage!" Are the going to build an electric 911 with all the batteries behind the rear axle?

The center of gravity is going to be higher than in the "skateboard" design, but since the battery sits only behind the seats, they don't have to protect the whole underbody from the intrusion, saving some weight.

There is a reason why most of the manufacturing rushing to embrace electric design: more flexible packaging. It is in fact much cheaper to design and build a car without worrying about exhaust, transmission, fuel lines, etc. etc., but you can still charge extra for it by slapping LED displays everywhere and calling it "FutRIStiC!". And judging from the Taycan sales numbers, people swallow it hook, line and sinker.
Not too mention the unergonomic ****ty cheap Teslaesque touch screen based interiors.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:40 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,105 Likes on 460 Posts

Early adopters have bought in, however, as the market becomes flooded with these cars that all drive very similarly the resale values will plummet accordingly (tech is also rapidly evolving) - I think a lot of these people will feel burned by this and think twice about buying an EV. They also have a ceiling for interested buyers (I feel), because the limited charging network (non-tesla's) they severely limit the usefulness on longer trips - so the buyers will have them as second or third vehicles (and there are only so many of those people). My wife just got a Panamera e-hybrid and that's a much better/easier vehicle that can still use EV for her commute and 95% of her driving but also have a gas engine if we want to go longer without worry about finding a charger. These EV's are going to the lease model, they won't be a car you want to own long-term, they are becoming almost disposable.

These new EV's are trying so hard to be hip/unique/trendy - with recycled whale ***** foreskin headliners and patchouli scented instrument clusters, each manufacturer trying to outdo the other for gimmicky non-sense "features". I personally don't want a cardboard interior if I pay $50k+ for a car, I want leather and stitching and not a dashboard made out of melted bottle caps from the pacific ocean. Strip away all of the nonsense and these cars (maybe Taycan notwithstanding) all drive the same, overweight and understeering bloated pigs that are a one-trick pony - such a bore to drive. I had a Taycan loaner when I had some service done on my 911 and had it for 2 days and it wasn't fun outside of a couple accelerations, and the infotainment completely froze on me from the start of a trip until I returned the car (I couldn't do anything) - who wants to deal with this nonsense? If a car fails at its most basic of functions, is it even still a car? This is also why I read books, don't have social media, collect mechanical watches (apple watches are kids toys made for a landfill), and know how to have authentic face to face conversation with real humans - and I'm not even 40 yet.
The following 7 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
Hurs (10-11-2021), IndigoInkTaco (02-14-2022), IRM (02-14-2022), Porsched (10-17-2021), Sajan (02-10-2022), unclemat (10-11-2021), worf928 (10-11-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Thank you for writing this Schn3ll. There's some hope for this world after all...
The following 3 users liked this post by Hurs:
Porsched (10-17-2021), Sajan (02-10-2022), unclemat (10-11-2021)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:54 AM
turbo8765
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Haros
At 35 years old, reading you guys on this forum helps remind me that most people here must be twice my age.

I bet you fought seatbelts when they came out and opt not to wear them.

Solid state batteries are already here and testing, they are lightweight and an electric car with one can possible weigh LESS than a traditional ICE.
Right now, it’s energy density of said solid state batteries that are being worked on, which will come with time like all technologies.

Rest assured, this is still a few years away before an electric Porsche sports car and you’ll most likely be dead of old age anyways.
Bold statements and ageism. Nice. References would be very helpful….
The following 2 users liked this post by turbo8765:
gurneyeagle (02-14-2022), Zhao (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 01:59 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Originally Posted by turbo8765
Bold statements and ageism. Nice. References would be very helpful….
"References" are for boomers.

We now live in a post-factual society. It is not important for EVs to actually BE lighter than regular cars, it is important to BELIEVE that they could be lighter. I recently realized that it is pointless to use facts and science, and "references" to argue with these types.

'You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place.' - Jonathan Swift
The following 3 users liked this post by Hurs:
Paiceyfan (02-14-2022), unclemat (02-14-2022), Zhao (02-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Mission R = Cayman E