Sponsored by:

Mission R = Cayman E

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 01:11 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I just want to mention that new batteries are high in the R&D agenda.

Here is one below, but there is a lot of other development like sodium-ion batteries, bulk metallic glasses for casings, graphene electrodes, and on and on. We should have longer lasting and quick charging batteries to market soon.

Ex: The graphene aluminum-ion battery cells from the Brisbane-based Graphene Manufacturing Group (GMG) are claimed to charge up to 60 times faster than the best lithium-ion cells and hold three time the energy of the best aluminum-based cells.May 13, 2021
I personally wouldn't bet against national policies meant to foster replacement of ICE-powered cars by BEVs. Major manufacturers on both sides of the pond are announcing migration of new vehicle production to BEVs. When you consider the Billions of $ that are being allocated to building out a charging infrastructure and incentives for innovation in battery technology, it is only a matter of when, not whether. There will invariably be stumbles along the way, but the future is electric, IMO.

Last edited by aCayenneFan; 09-08-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:11 AM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Please don't use the words 'sports car' and 'electric' in the same sentence. Makes me sad. And is not at all accurate.
Why not? EV’s can absolutely be fun to drive and they can handle very well. What it loses in engine noise it makes up for in acceleration, powertrain response, and balance. I used to have the same attitude until I spent some time actually driving some EV’s.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:41 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurs
In short, it seems clear that Mission R is a preview of 2024 Cayman E
Precisely. Aside from being impeccable with their timing and model positioning, they're doing something very subtle here. They didn’t make this car so compact for nothing. You display first that the tech can prove itself on track and then you trickle into production vehicles. While I don’t really get production vibes from this concept [and obviously the 718 won’t have 1000bhp] it’s in the ballpark. Porsche did say this is a new niche so I wouldn’t assume too much in the way of their usual concept to production routine.

The battery/factory you mentioned is for relatively low volume production so it’s likely geared towards the new Hypercar collab with Rimac/Bugatti.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:44 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjf
Very good perspective and insight.

Those were my exact and immediate thoughts. The size of it appears to be Cayman-sized as well.
Wondering why they threw all that firepower into it, if it’s only a 718 class car.
If they can do that with such a compact platform, imagine what they could do with a new supercar. They’re going to have to implement some kind of new safety protocols, given this type of acceleration could seriously affect someone’s health
Old 09-08-2021, 01:45 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer20
Why not? EV’s can absolutely be fun to drive and they can handle very well. What it loses in engine noise it makes up for in acceleration, powertrain response, and balance. I used to have the same attitude until I spent some time actually driving some EV’s.

That and you’ll be able to program any soundscape into these new cars that you want.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:47 AM
Porschian
Instructor

No one will be “driving” Porsches in 50 years.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:50 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Indeed.

This is a common misconception. We all used to the Moore's Law, where number of transistors on a chip (and thus the performance) doubles every two years. Battery technology is not like that. There's a hard theoretical limit on battery energy density, based on physics. Under the best conditions, the battery energy density is still roughly twenty (20) times lower than gasoline. Yes, electrical motors are more efficient in converting energy and they are lighter, but any electric car will still remain a terrible racing platform.

The key to racing performance is the consistency of a powertrain. Racing relies on making small incremental improvements (aero/suspension tweaks, tire compounds, racing line, etc. etc.) while the powertrain delivers constant performance minute after minute, hour after hour. How you going to improve your setup if you need to stop for recharging (or worse, battery change) every 30 min, and even during each lap your energy delivery is constantly changing due to battery degradation and overheating?

There is a reason Formula E is a flop, there will never be an electric LeMans24 winner. Fully electric drivetrains are good for mail delivery trucks and golf carts. When racing, end especially endurance racing is concerned, electric cars will always remain inferior. This is especially true for clubsport racing. Modern race cars are already complex enough, now imagine requiring a dual PhD in Electrical Engineering and Materials Science just to troubleshoot your battery pack.

And then there's safety. A regular car, drained of fuel, is 100% inert. You can store it, transport it, work on in and be 100% safe. Electric car is a chemical bomb ready to go off anytime without warning, and you can't even use water to put out the fire.
Oh, let’s just say we’ve solved that in future.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:51 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
I personally wouldn't bet against national policies meant to foster replacement of ICE-powered cars by BEVs. Major manufacturers on both sides of the pond are announcing migration of new vehicle production to BEVs. When you consider the Billions of $ that are being allocated to building out a charging infrastructure and incentives for innovation in battery technology, it is only a matter of when, not whether. There will invariably be stumbles along the way, but the future is electric, IMO.

Not if eFuels have anything to say about it.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:52 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Nope. Misssion R based sports car will have no connection to the Cayman or the Carrera. Entirely new platform and it will get an entirely new name. There will be little to no connection between the ICE and EV Porsches.
Dare I say they even replace the 718 altogether.
It may just be time for that model to evolve into something else.

Last edited by Porschian; 09-08-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:08 AM
Hurs
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschian
That and you’ll be able to program any soundscape into these new cars that you want.
Why stop there? Just get a good PC, a VR headset and a copy of Forza Horizon. Program any soundscape, any car, any track. Isn't technology great?!?

Originally Posted by Porschian
No one will be “driving” Porsches in 50 years.
Might as well close the forum then.

Last edited by Hurs; 09-08-2021 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:51 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

See, this is what I mean when I say that people seem to not understand the fundamental issues behind battery technology. Why would "development like sodium-ion batteries" would result in longer lasting batteries?!? Sodium-based batteries by definition will have lower energy density and operating voltage than lithium-based one. Aluminium is even worse than sodium. This is basic chemistry. The electron configuration of sodium, its position in the periodic table of elements is not going to suddenly change, no matter how many press-releases are published.

The only advantage of sodium-ion batteries is because sodium, unlike lithium, is abundant and therefore cheap. It might be useful for large-scale energy grid storage applications where lithium would be prohibitively expensive. For advanced automotive applications sodium is terrible.
Having spent over twenty years in global advanced manufacturing R&D, I do understand the fundamental issues, lol. You totally missed the point. There is R&D all over the globe working on these issues. BTW, the Brisbane group might disagree with your off-the-cuff assessment of aluminum in batteries.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:14 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Having spent over twenty years in global advanced manufacturing R&D, I do understand the fundamental issues, lol. You totally missed the point. There is R&D all over the globe working on these issues. BTW, the Brisbane group might disagree with your off-the-cuff assessment of aluminum in batteries.
‘Alumineeuum’
Old 09-08-2021, 01:55 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Having also spent over twenty years in global advanced chemical R&D, I also understand that no self-respecting R&D manager will turn down the opportunity to get funding. Politicians and business execs are now throwing money at battery research, of course people will be working on it. It still does not mean that they will somehow manage to re-invent the periodic table.

The sooner the politicians and general public understand that, the better. Under 5 min charging time wil not happen. Over 500 miles on one charge will not happen. Full-electric LeMans winner will not happen. Despite the annual multi-million public letter-writing campaign, there is no Santa Claus.

Last edited by Hurs; 09-08-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:45 PM
El Crampitan
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Having also spent over twenty years in global advanced chemical R&D, I also understand that no self-respecting R&D manager will turn down the opportunity to get funding. Politicians and business execs are now throwing money at battery research, of course people will be working on it. It still does not mean that they will somehow manage to re-invent the periodic table.

The sooner the politicians and general public understand that, the better. Under 5 min charging time wil not happen. Over 500 miles on one charge will not happen. Full-electric LeMans winner will not happen. Despite the annual multi-million public letter-writing campaign, there is no Santa Claus.
You have to be fun at parties with that outlook. I bet someone was standing on top of an overturned crate talking about how the horseless carriage will never attain higher top speeds than the beloved Horse 125 years ago.

As a side note, your 500 mile comment has already been disproven by Lucid Air per Motor Trend. If Jonny Lieberman himself saw 490 miles in real world use, then I have zero doubt it will happen.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-photos-video/
Old 09-08-2021, 03:35 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Yeah, I'd wait for an official EPA test to celebrate 500 miles achievement. But the fact that Lucid Air nearly went bankrupt trying to hit 500 miles mark should tell you something. Maybe 500 miles range in a $150,000 car will be enough to finally alleviate "range anxiety" of top 1% of population..

Quick Reply: Mission R = Cayman E