Sponsored by:

Mission R = Cayman E

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 11:52 AM
Hurs
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Mission R = Cayman E

Porsche just announced a new Mission R concept at IAA.
Link to the livestream below:

In short, it seems clear that Mission R is a preview of 2024 Cayman E : fully-electric sports car intended to split Porsche sports car lineup into "traditional" internal-combustion 911 and "sustainable" fully-electric Cayman.

All the hints are there: Mission R uses all familiar Cayman design features: upturned rear window, elongated angular headlights, side air intake, etc. etc. At the same time it previews new features: cameras replacing rear-view mirrors, display in the middle of the steering wheel, movable front aero.

Regarding timing, they have announced new Porsche battery production facility coming online "as soon as 2024". This indicates that Cayman E will likely be 2024 model, probably manufactured alongside Taycan. In the meantime we should expect 718 GT4 RS and 718 Clubsport to close the curtain on the the era of internal combustion Caymans.

Edit: link to Porsche Newsroom, containing more pictures and info:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...ity-25601.html

Last edited by Hurs; 09-06-2021 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Additional linksL
Old 09-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,860 Likes on 923 Posts

Looked a bit Audi TT to me

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 09-06-2021 at 11:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
gurneyeagle (09-09-2021), rjf (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 11:57 AM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurs

In short, it seems clear that Mission R is a preview of 2024 Cayman E : fully-electric sports car intended to split Porsche sports car lineup into "traditional" internal-combustion 911 and "sustainable" fully-electric Cayman.

All the hints are there: Mission R uses all familiar Cayman design features: upturned rear window, elongated angular headlights, side air intake, etc. etc. At the same time it previews new features: cameras replacing rear-view mirrors, display in the middle of the steering wheel, movable front aero
Very good perspective and insight.

Those were my exact and immediate thoughts. The size of it appears to be Cayman-sized as well.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:34 PM
JPalau
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Link to the livestream below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke5kHw9ZZps

All the hints are there: Mission R uses all familiar Cayman design features: upturned rear window, elongated angular headlights, side air intake, etc. etc. At the same time it previews new features: cameras replacing rear-view mirrors, display in the middle of the steering wheel, movable front aero.

Regarding timing, they have announced new Porsche battery production facility coming online "as soon as 2024". This indicates that Cayman E will likely be 2024 model, probably manufactured alongside Taycan. In the meantime we should expect 718 GT4 RS and 718 Clubsport to close the curtain on the the era of internal combustion Caymans.

Edit: link to Porsche Newsroom, containing more pictures and info:
So, what do you think, if your hypothesis is true, will it devalue or revalue the 718 GTS 4.0- 718 GT4?
Old 09-06-2021, 12:50 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Looked a bit Audi TT to me
I've read somewhere that the original TT was an alternative front-engined Golf-based design that Porsche considered when it was developing Boxster concept (in a similar fashion to Audi-produced 924). Porsche eventually decided to risk it with a more unique and upscale mid-engined design, and Audi picked the discarded lower-cost configuration to develop it into TT.

I would not at all be surprised if Mission R / Cayman E platform will also be used down the line for a next-gen all-electric Audi TT (trading performance for range).
Old 09-06-2021, 12:51 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 287 Posts

I think it is more likely a preview of a supercar in the line of 959, CGT, 918. But what do I know. it's interesting to see it in this forum and the Supercar forum. There are also references to the 911 cup car. Does this become the future main customer racing platform? Wonder what the FIA will think of the exoskeleton as roll cage. interesting stuff for sure.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:25 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Originally Posted by zedcat
I think it is more likely a preview of a supercar in the line of 959, CGT, 918. But what do I know. it's interesting to see it in this forum and the Supercar forum. There are also references to the 911 cup car. Does this become the future main customer racing platform? Wonder what the FIA will think of the exoskeleton as roll cage. interesting stuff for sure.
Mission R is way too small and WAY too similar to Cayman to be a supercar. Who would want their supercar to look like a Cayman? Supercar (if it ever materializes) will likey be based on LMDh platform instead, after Porsche fields it in a couple of LeMans.

MIssion R is also unlikely to be a main racing platform, I think they have quoted battery lasting for only 30min under race conditions. Main racing platform will remain 911 (using e-fuel) because, well, 911.

Mission R is to Cayman as Mission E was to Taycan. A preview of technology / design language and a marketing effort to create "race heritage" for a mass-produced fully-electric two-seater sports car.

Edit: I mean, all the hints are there, you just have to look for them. Here is the text from the link, [emphasis added]

"The Mission R is the latest vision from Porsche. With this study of an all-electric GT racing car, the pioneer of sustainable mobility is revealing what customer motorsports could look like in the future..."Every Porsche has to be clearly recognisable as a Porsche. Many elements that we envisage in studies find their way later into production cars. This also applies to motorsports. Moreover, our customer sports vehicles are always based on production sports cars," explains Michael Mauer, Head of Style Porsche. "What this means in the case of the Mission R is that the car is packed to the gills with signs that hint of a future production model, and that, of course, means pure racing!“
Much like the Porsche Cayman, the window graphics (daylight opening) end at the C-pillar with a counter-sweep."

And then look at the very bottom of the link above. Consumption data are listed for the current 718 Cayman model.

Last edited by Hurs; 09-06-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-07-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:02 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I see a lot of the Taycan in the front end, Cayman in the middle, and 911 at the rear. It looks like they're targeting it as the next evolution of the 718 Clubsport, Only a half-hour of power at racing speeds for now, but that'll increase as their battery technology improves. It's sure going to cost a lot more than the current 718 Clubsport!
Old 09-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Please don't use the words 'sports car' and 'electric' in the same sentence. Makes me sad. And is not at all accurate.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
mikedotd (10-06-2021), RINGMEISTER27 (09-07-2021), Schn3ll (09-07-2021), unclemat (10-07-2021), Webfiero (09-14-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:56 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Whatever it is, if it can go 400 miles on a charge, I’ll want one sitting alongside my ICE.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Please don't use the words 'sports car' and 'electric' in the same sentence. Makes me sad. And is not at all accurate.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by sobiloff
Only a half-hour of power at racing speeds for now, but that'll increase as their battery technology improves.
This is a common misconception. We all used to the Moore's Law, where number of transistors on a chip (and thus the performance) doubles every two years. Battery technology is not like that. There's a hard theoretical limit on battery energy density, based on physics. Under the best conditions, the battery energy density is still roughly twenty (20) times lower than gasoline. Yes, electrical motors are more efficient in converting energy and they are lighter, but any electric car will still remain a terrible racing platform.

The key to racing performance is the consistency of a powertrain. Racing relies on making small incremental improvements (aero/suspension tweaks, tire compounds, racing line, etc. etc.) while the powertrain delivers constant performance minute after minute, hour after hour. How you going to improve your setup if you need to stop for recharging (or worse, battery change) every 30 min, and even during each lap your energy delivery is constantly changing due to battery degradation and overheating?

There is a reason Formula E is a flop, there will never be an electric LeMans24 winner. Fully electric drivetrains are good for mail delivery trucks and golf carts. When racing, end especially endurance racing is concerned, electric cars will always remain inferior. This is especially true for clubsport racing. Modern race cars are already complex enough, now imagine requiring a dual PhD in Electrical Engineering and Materials Science just to troubleshoot your battery pack.

And then there's safety. A regular car, drained of fuel, is 100% inert. You can store it, transport it, work on in and be 100% safe. Electric car is a chemical bomb ready to go off anytime without warning, and you can't even use water to put out the fire.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hurs:
RINGMEISTER27 (09-07-2021), unclemat (10-07-2021), Webfiero (09-14-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 03:14 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,860 Likes on 923 Posts

Not too many tracks with charging stations yet. Diesel generator in the hauler for recharging between sessions?
Old 09-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Hurs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Not too many tracks with charging stations yet. Diesel generator in the hauler for recharging between sessions?
I can only imagine future LeMans/Daytona races where cars silently crawl down the pitlane on a last few Watts of power, followed by an exciting 20min wait for a battery recharge to finish.
The following users liked this post:
RINGMEISTER27 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Nope. Misssion R based sports car will have no connection to the Cayman or the Carrera. Entirely new platform and it will get an entirely new name. There will be little to no connection between the ICE and EV Porsches.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (09-06-2021), sonicworld (09-07-2021), wdr911 (02-14-2022)
Old 09-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

. Electric car is a chemical bomb ready to go off anytime without warning...
Wut?

Quick Reply: Mission R = Cayman E